Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 04:48PM

In Mormonism Hot is Cold. Sure sign of a cult is when basic perceptions or "functional (perceptional) tests" are compromised for the group.

You wouldn't want your equipment to not have test coverage.

"In such a scenario, both true and false condition need to be executed."
https://www.embitel.com/blog/embedded-blog/how-iso-26262-compliant-unit-testing-strategies-manifest-in-automotive-software-development

You would want you smart devices to know if one condition like "hot" was tested for like if it wasn't "cold" was it not hot. I'm sure the McDonald's customer with severe burns from her coffee would have like it checked before she was served.

But people visiting LDSLiving mostly don't think hot chocolate is hot?

"How do you interpret the phrase "hot drinks?" "

"Any hot drink, including hot chocolate (7%)"

"Other (7%)"

"Only coffee and tea (86%)"
http://www.ldsliving.com/Did-the-LDS-Church-officially-OK-caffeine/s/70005
(You need to submit your answers to see their results)

Amazing. No "prophet" has clarified the temperature for them. Now they actual have repudiated their old "caffeine" answer for making hot cold.

No matter how you look at it, Joseph Smith wouldn't have endorsed hot chocolate regardless of how yummy it was but he might let people take a bath in it.

And you could die from drinking too much of it.

"Chocolate contains high levels of a powerful stimulant called 'theobromine'. Theobromine poisoning can cause heart failure, seizures, acute kidney damage and dehydration."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11722935/World-Chocolate-Day-10-weird-chocolate-facts.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 25, 2019 05:11PM

As for "cold drinks" I like this one and wish it were only $0.28.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/beerandcider/the-cost-of-a-beer-the-year-you-turned-21/ss-AAwFmqd?ocid=spartandhp

I'm leaving right now to get to a happy hour and I might just order one...

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 06:36PM

A mormon would interpret it as "anything with caffeine in it".......except for Mt. Dew :)

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 06:37PM

Wrong place to reply.

Date: January 30, 2019 11:01AM

LOL! I also put the wrong price for beer when I turned 21. It was this...
Price of a 16-oz beer: $0.78

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 06:00PM

Any beverage offered within 32 miles of Fukushima, Japan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2019 06:44PM by Tevai.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 06:19PM

Flaming rum punch

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 06:39PM

It’s interesting that Jesus was not familiar with the words “coffee” and “tea,” even though he discouraged (but didn’t forbid) their consumption.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 08:08PM

This goes back to when the temperance movement first got going on a national level in the 1820s and 1830s. At the time, advocates of temperance often had followers take the "Cold Water Pledge." If you've promised to drink only cold water, you are not drinking hot drinks. Smith and other groups wanted to jump on the temperance bandwagon.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/commentary-mormon-ban-on-alcohol-not-always-absolute/2014/01/27/5f196a04-877a-11e3-a760-a86415d0944d_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d55788050e44

Date: January 25, 2019 08:13PM

https://dinotracksdiscovery.org/supporting/swapfull/context/temperance/

Already framed as a moral issue, the temperance movement united with the evangelical religious revivals sweeping the country. By the 1830s, appeals for moderation had evolved into calls for total abstinence. “Cold Water Army” advocates pledged to refrain from consuming not only “ardent spirits,” but also hard cider, beer, wine and even stimulants like coffee and tea. Whether to offer wine at communion became a heated question in many Protestant congregations. Criticism of those who continued to imbibe combined with anti-Catholic sentiment when Irish immigrants demonstrated little interest in heeding Protestant calls to stop drinking. Germans and other European arrivals came in for similar criticism when they continued to follow traditional foodways, including the consumption of alcohol in homes, taverns and bars. In 1835, the Catholic Sentinel condemned the “beastly vice of drunkenness” but also vowed to resist by force if necessary “any fanatic fellow of the banditti who should have the daring insolence to tell us, that we committed a moral crime, by slaking our thirst with a moderate draught of ale or brandy.”

I think coffee, tea, and chocolate were also seen as costly luxury items that were unnecessary to the Saints who could instead be giving that money to the church.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 08:13PM

As an anagram of drink shot.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: January 25, 2019 10:52PM

As coffee.

My husband used to love a tall glass of iced tea, but felt he shouldn't drink it because tea had caffeine in it.

Now-a-days, all I can think about this, is how very SILLY the "Word of Wisdom" rules were (and still are?).

Posted by: Darla ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 02:43AM

Iced tea is yummy!

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 11:37AM

It certainly is. It is -25F right now and I have a glass of it sitting next to me.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 01:39PM

I think those rules are really about a test of obedience more than anything else. When I was dating my ex-husband and considered an "investigator," I offended my ex by drinking iced tea because I thought that since it was iced, it was allowed. At the same time, my TBM ex-husband and his mom drank sodas as if they were about to be banned, as they would drink at least a 6 pack in a day if they could. For me, I definitely lost weight after I left my ex and TSCC as I quit drinking as much soda, and drank more unsweetened iced tea, coffee, and even water. Sometimes, it seemed that the only time my ex ever drank water was when it was in that shot glass on Sundays.

Posted by: desertdeacon ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 02:18PM

Tequila sunrise

Date: January 27, 2019 03:00PM

I only feel heat in my mouth with a spiritual tongue.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 05:29PM

I find it interesting that after doing a google and searching for well over 1/2 hour, all that can be found is "early church leaders" said that "hot drinks" meant coffee and tea. You used to be able to see references to who these early church leaders were and when they said it. No more.

Does anyone have the reference who the leaders were and where/when it was said?

OK, I became obsessed
joseph F smith mormon prophet from 1901 until
1919 was probably as strict with regard to word of wisdom
observance ac any of his predecessors and a brief review
of his early statements on the issue suggest that he
sought to draw dra additional guidelines to govern observance
of the revelation in 1901 he stressed that tea and coffee
were to be interpreted beinterpreted reinterpreted as hot drinks not peppereppery peppers ginger
and other such things which people were referring to in
rationalizing their drinking of tea and coffee
M A

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6038&context=etd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 05:59PM by Heidi GWOTR.

Date: January 28, 2019 11:57AM

I couldn't find an easy reference either but I did find this LDS Gem.

"Sex with two girls appears more forgivable than breaking the Word of Wisdom."
http://www.mormonthink.com/wow.htm

Date: February 01, 2019 09:48AM

There is an old joke that goes along with that:

A good Mormon girl returned home after her first year at BYU.

"Mom, I've been a little indiscreet at school. I'm pregnant."

"What! How could you do this!? This will shame your father and me. You've got to marry the father!"

"Well, I'm pretty sure it is this one boy..." said the girl.

"Pretty sure!? Well you'll have to marry him," scolded the mom.

"But mom! He smokes!"

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 02:31AM

Hot and Cold
New and Old

I held a sHOT [DRINK] glass of rye whiskey up to my lips once and immediately realized that is what was considered a hot drink (in the day). Why don't (do) members question WHY they can have HOT herbal tea but NOT green or black tea, or why they HAVE TO substitute possom for coffee, or why they can't enjoy (some) tea or coffee but HOT chocolate is fine?

Most LDS don't know that early members drank alcohol and that it isn't banned, by law, though they take it as one, and they can (now) drink CAFFEINE!

TSCC changed the wow/ LAC (law against caffeine) (without changing scripture, just explanations, on lds website [made the SLTrib]) when Mittens and Romknee both notoriously drank SODA POP/ caffeinated beverages, late in the year 2012, around the time of the election, and DIDN'T TELL A SOUL; not the world, not the members, and CERTAINLY NOT the RECORD BOOKS.

Like Mark J, [and thanks for the links (Pat Bagley, on Mormonism's semi-retired, quasi-forgotten and not-so-secret history of the (worthless) "word of (lack of) wisdom"), and commentary, by the way], I too say it was to go along to get along, beginning with the con-founder, through misleaders every since, though even today, and tomorrow. IOW, it is for public image and control!

Just another GUILT TRIP & unnecessary restriction, not to mention preying and prying tool.

M@t

Date: January 29, 2019 04:34PM

A Hot Drink BURNS YOU.
That's how you know for sure.

BE CAREFUL!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 05:26PM

What about hot soup or broth? How would Joe interpret that?
He being ignorant ,probably thought hot liquids would burn your insides or cause harm to some degree if drank all the time

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 08:57PM

It 'must be a coincidence' that ChurchCo throws these often-ambiguous sayings & instructions out-around, & retains the "right" to interpret them, change them as they see fit, mostly without reference to scriptures or common sense...

Hmmmm

Date: January 30, 2019 11:02AM

Satan says he mixes the philosophies of men with scripture. The Mormons mix the hunches of prophets with scripture.

Date: February 01, 2019 10:27AM

The mutability of Mormon doctrine points to its real purpose - testing the obedience of members. Every other purpose that doctrine might serve: enlightenment, inspiration, coordination are all subordinate to bending the will of members to the bidding of the leadership.

"Hot drinks" will mean whatever the leadership says it means. Members will be then judge according to their compliance to that definition.

Date: February 01, 2019 11:33AM

MarkJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Members will be then judge
> according to their compliance to that definition.

Yes.

"How do you interpret the phrase "hot drinks?" "

"Any hot drink, including hot chocolate (7%)"

"Other (7%)"

"Only coffee and tea (86%)"

Even if you burn your esophagus on hot chocolate it isn't a hot drink for you.

Only 7% of people reading LDS Living will call a spade a spade.

I have no idea what the "Other" people are thinking...

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 11:12AM

My RM niece and nephew interpret that to mean cold drinks insofar as they contain caffeine. Unless it's Pepsi or Coca Cola.

When visiting them I offered them some of my really good green tea that could be brewed cold or hot. They took one look at that and said they couldn't drink it. It may as well have been a bottle of Jack Daniels the way they looked at it. I figured only because of the caffeine in the green tea, because the health benefits outweigh the health risks of drinking green tea. That it can be brewed cold didn't register at all in their decision.

Here I am sitting at my desk sipping a cup of hot brewed coffee. And nibbling on dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Guess by Mormon standards both would be outside WoW bounds. One because it's a hot drink that isn't hot cocoa. And the other because it's espresso from the coffee bean. Chocolate has a high concentration of caffeine in it as well. And sugar. Which by my standards is worse than the occasional coffee.

Between the dark chocolate and espresso bean, I've met my match. It's heavenly. :)

Date: February 01, 2019 11:35AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When visiting them I offered them some of my
> really good green tea that could be brewed cold or
> hot. They took one look at that and said they
> couldn't drink it. It may as well have been a
> bottle of Jack Daniels the way they looked at it.
> I figured only because of the caffeine in the
> green tea, because the health benefits outweigh
> the health risks of drinking green tea. That it
> can be brewed cold didn't register at all in their
> decision.

Lol. Great story. I cold brew my coffee (that my wife buys for me) so she doesn't have to smell it.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 12:48PM

i gave a box of the same green tea to my TBM cousin who's married to an atheist, because she's more open minded when i stayed with her. She tried a cup or two of the stuff, and said it wired her up so much she couldn't drink it.

Yet it was only green tea. I must be so used to it I barely notice the caffeine in it lol. It's half the content or less than a cup of coffee.

And much less than a diet cola.

She still has a heart of gold, whether or not she can stand green tea.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 12:50PM by Amyjo.

Date: February 05, 2019 07:56PM

Sounds like the Gold & Green teasE

Couldn't resist. Good story

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 12:42PM

Any drink over 105 degrees

Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:59AM

On the Starbucks mobile app, if you look under “hot drinks” it has a bunch of variations of hot chocolate, steamed apple juice, and steamed milk. It always gave me a chuckle because that’s the only part of the drink menu I’d be ordering off of back when I was a TBM.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:45PM

I don't interpret it. It's a stupid phrase used only by ignorant Mormons, who themselves are unsure about how to interpret it. Coffee? A hot drink! Hot chocolate? Okay!, not coffee! Ridiculous.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 05:54PM

If you avoid iced tea but drink hot cocoa because your scriptures
say to not use "hot drinks" then you just might be a Mormon.

Date: February 04, 2019 11:28AM

The cocoa has oh, so much more "sweetness" for Mormons to "keep sweet!"

Date: February 05, 2019 08:21PM

I don't have any interpreters, or know any interpreters or care to interpret (any of Mormonism) myself.

The 'Church' of Lies (TCoL), biases and fabrications... and following dumb, made up, contradictory laws, beliefs, assumptions and superstitions.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.