Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:00PM

I accumulated quite a lot of stuff...the "Triple Combination" the Gospel Principles, a study guide, a bunch of RS handouts, the Sunday programs, an LDS Bible, the Missionary handouts, the 'Resource Manual."

for my mind, and for closure...did you throw this crap away? Or did you keep it? Or?

I am thinking i will just toss it all....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2019 10:00PM by mel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:05PM

Hi Mel,

I threw them all away in one fell swoop including the scriptures. I had no problem in doing that and have had no regrets.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:08PM

I'm keeping McConkie's Mormon Doctrine because the church now denies much of the old doctrine. I want evidence. But the other stuff I plan on shredding or burning whenever I get to the bottom of my storage unit boxes. I will destroy it all completely so no unsuspecting person ever gets their hands on that beguiling trash.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:27PM

I threw away dozens of church books just this week. The paperbacks went in the recycling bin, and the hard covers went in the trash.

Like Pooped, I kept Mormon Doctrine, but just for my own entertainment. I enjoy picking out a random topic or two, and shaking my head with the realization that I actually believed that crap.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 10:43PM

I kept my triple combination from the late '60s so I'd have evidence of later changes, like "white and delightsome" becoming "pure and delightsome," and changes to section headings in the D&C, especially the one on polygamy. I eventually realized I had no desire to fight those fights, so I threw it out, like all my church book before it.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:35PM

Recycled

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:44PM

I kept all of my "anti" mormon books, like Will Bagley's "Blood of The Prophets," even though some of the passages pertaining to the Mountain Meadows Massacre are so awful that I asked my husband to put the book someplace in his shop where I can't even see it.

I have an antique BOM with a spelling error that I will keep. Peepstones rarely come with "auto-correct." I have many, many books by historians and Smith's contemporaries that I will keep. They aren't favorable to him.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 26, 2019 11:56PM

As a newly baptized, bright-eyed convert, I bought a beautiful, fabric-bound quad set. Even tried to wade through it. Before long, I began to wonder how anybody could find anything in it besides excruciating boredom, but then I was sure that something was wrong with ME.

I still have it, and dust it from time to time. I would get rid of it, except that my name is engraved on the cover.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 12:01AM

I have the same thing, Catnip, engraved by DH. I finally asked him, "Mind if I get ridda this thing?" He said he was sorry he ever bought it. haha

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 01:51AM

I bought a shiny new quad right after many mission. Before I had a chance to have my name embossed on the front, someone at church stole it. I was incredibly angry about it then but now I'm glad. Their dishonesty entitles them to what they got. A book full of life destroying fables will curse their life for a long time.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 12:24AM

That scores a perfect 10 on the irony meter.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 01:54AM

I kept all the main ones: the prophet's books, the ones that were taken very seriously, etc. One of my greatest fears is that the Fahrenheit 451 crowd will be successful, so I hope as many people keep the old materials as possibly can.

We lived through history. We should document it.

Posted by: Darla ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 02:39AM

I have you all beat...me and another inactive sister were riding around and I told her I had several bom's in the car. We drove into the church parking lot and dropped them in the dumpster.

Who can top that one? Anybody?

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 03:27AM

Good one, Darla! I threw mine in a dumpster when I was moving. But not the church dumpster...heh heh

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 04:01AM

I only have a few including scriptures. I never liked church books much anyway and left the church early. I kept them as I have a hard time throwing out books. If I had a lot I would probably give them to DI or try to sell them

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 05:12AM

I had three shelves of Mormon propaganda, plus another 5 shelves of it from my parents' house. It filled half of the wall! It was so satisfying to clear out the books, and fill the shelves with other books that had collected throughout the house, and were mixed in the other shelves with school books, children's books, cook books, etc. I discovered some great classics among my parents' boxed books. The Mormon books had been given top priority. I'm proud of my library, now.

Almost an entire shelf was filled with books written by Mormon family members--my GA relative, cousins, an uncle, etc. Every Mormon's a writer. There was a pile of church magazines with articles by and about these prolific relatives. These people are all dead, or not speaking to me.

I agree with Poop--I didn't want anyone else being poisoned by the lies, so I recycled. I might have saved a tree! I got rid of the Mormon music, too, but kept my really nice organ music, though I'll probably never play the organ again (and I'm relieved). I was so burnt out, that I went from being passionate about music, and practicing for hours in the chapel--Bach, Handel, great Catholic and Protestant music--to not wanting to enter a Mormon building, or touch an organ keyboard, for the rest of my life. That's extreme! The music didn't die--it was murdered by the Mormons.

Don't burn the books--that's just too awful.

My brother recycled his when I did, but kept his BY Journal of Discourses, and all of the History of the Church volumes, passed down from our grandfather. There's some pretty damning stuff in those.

We looked through the Mormon stuff carefully, so we didn't get rid of anything important.

I kept my father's bible that he used on his mission. It was a King James, and was separate from the attached Mormon garbage.

I always had a grievance against the Quad scriptures, in which the cult took the Bible, which I felt was a great book, and attach the Mormon propaganda right onto it, under the same cover. Now The Bible became adulterated, contaminated with lies, I felt.

Make a party out of it! My brother and I did!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 08:49AM

I haven't kept the BoM in my house. Or books written by the apostles. Nor have I kept the PoGP or D&C. What I have kept are the ones written by Fawn Brodie, and Valleen Tippetts Avery, and Mormon Inc, and a couple others. I haven't acquired a lot because so much of the reference to anything Mormon can be found online.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 08:55AM

We sold them all to a used book store in SLC. We made quite a bit of money. This was before we had actually decided for sure we were leaving, even though we had been thinking about it even before we got married.

Some people think we need to get the books off the market. I figure if I sell my books, someone will buy a used one and the mormon author won't get money from the purchase. At the time, we didn't really care, we just wanted to clean them out. I do have a few left. The ones my mother gave me while I was mormon.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:25AM

I recycled them.

Date: January 27, 2019 02:42PM

Thank you everyone! Some great stories here.

Usually I give my books to the library for their book sale but I do not want to contaminate any minds, so it is going to recycling for me!!!!

Agree selling them is a good idea but doubt the stores in the South would want them, it is all Baptists and Bibles here.

Appreciate everyone's input!

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 06:35PM

I had lots of teachings of the prophets manuals (why did we keep those after the end of the year anyway?) that were thrown out. Others got sent to the thrift store. The old hymn book (before the green one... when is the church going to update again) got packed away with my teenage journals etc because, hey, hymn book.

My personal set of scriptures got packed up with my temple bag to go on the top shelf in storage. I'm probably ready to throw out my scriptures, but so far I've kept my temple stuff as proof that it's real, sort of that fear of a gaslighting moment that might never come. I need to throw them all away.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 07:31PM

I threw them all away, and even added a layer of dog poop on top as I had dogs at the time, and it was time to use the pooper scooper anyway.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 08:28PM

I got everything, and never throw stuff away. But I"m a collector of historical books and like having lots of stuff everywhere.

I'm a junk guy!

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 08:55PM

I threw my "quad" scriptures, the worn Book of Mormon, all of the relief society manuals and church related books in the recycling.

As I stated in another post, there's a huge part of me that's hoping that those books will become recycled toilet paper, so somewhere in the nation, someone is wiping their ass with it.

I'm not sure how possible that is. But it is wishful thinking for me. Ha!

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:55PM

I do agree with keeping the old Mormon books, i.e. Mormon Doctrine (prior it to being whitewashed to cover its racist roots), Mormonism and the Negro, The Way to Perfection, Journal of Discourses and many others. I unfortunately, I borrowed those books, as I didn't want to spend money on it.
Around the time I left, people would claim that the books on TSCC's racist history, and the real truth about polygamy were Anti-Mormon Literature. Yet, these books were written by Mormons. Keeping and showing these books would definitely damn that justification.
Of course, I can see some TBM's saying "It was the work of Satan. His workers wrote those books and put Brigham Young's (et. all) name on it." No joke. That was actually someone's excuse about the old doctrine.

Date: January 28, 2019 02:38PM

severedpuppetstrings Wrote:

> so somewhere in the nation, someone is wiping their ass with it.

Great visual, puppetstrings! I like it!!!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:30PM

I went through my house and threw all of it into the trash.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 08:48PM

Hi Saucie. It's nice to see you.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 09:54PM

Burned numerous B of M's and bibles in my burning barrel...sent the rest to the landfill with my trash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 09:54PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: January 27, 2019 10:10PM

Sold 300+ to a couple of bookstores that buy them several years ago. Made about $200. I still kept some of the weirder stuff, like Doctrines of Salvation. I'm about to KonMari my books soon. I'll try to sell them again, and recycle the rest. I've decided that I don't want to be the Keeper of Knowledge.

I'm finally recovering from Mormonism, and it's taken six long years. I like to come on here and another forum to lurk and see how you're all doing. I know you, but you don't know me. This forum was a lifeline to me and a great source of knowledge. Thank you for being here and writing your thoughts. Elder Berry always makes me laugh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2019 10:10PM by contrarymary.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 28, 2019 02:46PM

I unceremoniously dumped them in the trash.
Normally I'd feel bad about tossing books, but in this case...nah.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 04:50PM

I wonder how long my big leather bound quad would burn for if I soaked it in diesel fuel and lit it in my fire pit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 11:36PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 29, 2019 05:40PM

Kept old copy of McConkie and Hx of the Church plus scriptures and stuff from my mission. Tossed the rest.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 05:16PM

Cooked them (especially the cook books) and then Booked them!

Just Looking at them yesterday, ironically enough after reading this thread, I experience two categories. Throwing out the *Mormon* ones and keeping the ones by *formons* (former Mormons) and other informed beings.

Among the lds, not important, valuable, true/ useful books, magazines, movies and other paraphernalia/ junk, including a few (3) sets of strictures (a feather set [fake leather] [around $55?] I bought and 2 others [leather-around $80+E?] received as gifts, around the same time, by the same people [just a few years apart-said they didn't remember], with my name emblazed onto the leather bound kwad) are all getting trashed/ dumped/ 'recycled' (after - and never without - a good, healthy stamping of mormonthink.com), SOON.

(Thinking to cut out name and make a smaller - BUT TRUE - (expensive) book or item of it. After all, my name is the most important, true, and good name on or in the whole thing.)

Or TOSS THEM

Into a bon fire, rip tide, commercial washing machine, street paver, skyrise foundation, cement mixer, garden compost, onto the railroad tracks, a wood chipper, garbage disposal...

Leaving tscc a few years back I bought a number of excellent and truthful books. I'll probably keep and share them.

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2019 05:19PM by moremany.

Posted by: forester ( )
Date: January 30, 2019 08:32PM

When I got divorced I threw the leather bound quad my ex gave me for a wedding present into the fast moving outgoing tide between two islands and my wedding ring off the bridge spanning the gorge.

I have kept my circa 1970's leather triple combo with my name engraved on it for sentimental and historical reasons. I also kept McKonkie's Mormon Doctrine, Talmadge's Jesus the Christ, a hymn book (1990's version, wish I had the old navy blue one) and Sing with Me primary songs just in case my family challenges me (they never have).

Any other church books and my temple clothes were left behind when I left my ex.

Posted by: LadyKorihor ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 08:43PM

My parents kept my full scriptures (BoM+BoA+DoC, all that jazz).

I could take my scriptures from my family but the books mean nothing to me. Siblings like to use it Sundays as backup when forgetting their's at that Institution indoctrination thing.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 31, 2019 10:09PM

Dumpster, entire kit and kaboodle. (Pre-recycling days) I kept missionary journal for a few years, then reread it. It was so awful and vapid that I tossed it too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.