Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 10:15PM

History Buff me, ha ha;

does anyone know? Does ChurchCo track this info, publicize it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2019 10:22PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 10:32PM

Pine Valley Chapel - 35 or so miles north of St. George - built in 1868 and still in use.

http://wchsutah.org/churches/pine-valley-chapel.php

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 10:50PM

Thanks!

it doesn't look wheelchair accessible, does it?

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 10:39AM

The chapel has 3 floors. The first floor/ground level can accommodate a wheel chair and is this is where visitors are greeted by local guides/residents of Pine Valley (not missionaries). Here, you can ask questions and see a short video of history of Pine Valley and how the meeting house was built. The chapel portion of the building is on the 2d floor - no wheel chair access. The 3rd floor - no wheel chair access - only has 1 room and a viewing area into the attic, where you can see the original timber work of the roof, and the curved joists of the chapel's ceilng. Very interesting.

The Church has updated the building and reinforced the foundation while keeping the original architecture. Worth a visit.

Posted by: Mormon Nomore ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 10:54AM

Washington County is the most spectacular place in Utah.

Yes, I know you think Bryce or Zion's holds top spots, but if you wander through Snow's canyon, and get go get lost on a hike just North of Pine Valley, you'll know where the real treasure of Utah is.

Be sure to spend time in Ivins, on the way.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 02:58AM

A building dating back to the 1860s and not complying with today's building codes? Gosh.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 01, 2019 11:41PM

The original chapel built in Lethbridge close to 100 years ago I'm guessing is now apartments. It was previously the local red cross headquarters for decades

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 12:28PM

I wonder what the Mormon building on the Catawba Nation in South Carolina looks like. I think it's old, but I've never seen it. The Catawba converted back in the mid-1800's, and have remained mostly Mormon since. I know their chapel features a churchyard, where,due to cramped space, people are buried according to how long their family has been LDS. If they're still using an old building, it has to date way back there.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 05:50PM

I bet the church really loathes that the Pine Valley chapel is part of the National Register of Historic Places. I'm sure the church would love to raze it and build one of their McWard meetinghouses in its place. The lack of standardization of church buildings upsets the harmonic balance of correlation. Nelson probably feels that this is another victory for Stan.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 05:34PM

Just FYI. Being listed on the NRHP does not affect what a property owner can, or can't, do with their property. I've seen many sites, buildings, and or structures which are listed be obliterated.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 07:09PM

What about the church up at Beaver damn? Where the Bear river comes through the gorge from Cache County to Box Elder. I'm sure parts of it are from the 1860s as well.

And then there is the Farmington Church where the first primary was held. And of course the old church in salt lake where Hinkley went, on 4th South 5th East, by Chuck o Rama, it's from the the 1870's.

The old 19th pioneer ward in Salt Lake is still standing but it's from the 1880s if I recall right. Presently used by the Salt Lake theater company.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 11:22PM

Not sure this counts

The Bountiful Tabernacle was started in 1857, finished in 1863 I believe.

There is also supposedly a church in England that was donated to the mormons in 1840, but sold by them in 1842. Then about 10 years ago a group of mormons purchased it and after some repairs turned it back into a ward house. I think in Herefordshire?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 12:17AM

Bountiful First Ward - I have a relative who was bishop there for many years.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 05:19PM

The chapel refered to is Gadfield Elm in Worcestershire. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadfield_Elm_Chapel), but it was not built by the mormons. Another dishonourable record for Enlgland is that it has the oldest congregation: Preston.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 03:31AM

The oldest surviving LDS chapel is probably the Kirtland temple. That building was multi-use. They held church meetings there and there were classrooms on the top story. School was held during the week. It's called a temple but it also served as a meeting house.

The Kirtland temple opened in 1833. Just three years after the founding of the LDS church. I can't think of another structure used for church services still standing that is older.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 03, 2019 11:31AM

It is owned by some other church now and mormons were up in arms when whoever first purchased it changed the top to a bell tower. I think they've painted over it now, too. I wonder how old that place is. It is on the west side of main, north end. Seems like there is an auto repair shop across the street just north. I'd have to go look. For a long time, it was still owned by the lds church.

The meeting house (that wasn't so old) that was torn down on main street in Hyrum, the property must have been sold. There are homes going up on that spot.

Oh yes, that one out in Beaver Dam is something! My sister's in-laws were from Beaver Dam and she lived out there in one of the old homes for the first few months of her marriage some 40+ years ago.

I think the Brigham City tabernacle is much more attractive than most tabernacles. It was painted for a long time, but they finally removed the paint. They were doing something to it the past few months, but I haven't been by to see what they did now. It is a much prettier building than that eye sore of a temple in Brigham.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 07:31PM

It looks like the church in Rocky Horror.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.