Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 08:10PM

I have often wondered this since I have left and have experienced other denominations worship services.

I can understand why, at least during the sacrament part of SS meeting, is seen as worship, but not the temple. Perhaps the pay-lay-el part of prayer around the alter. That is about as close to worship I can see. But I don't see the endowment as a worship ritual

I guess it depends on the definition that Mormonism assigns to the word "worship"?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 02, 2019 09:32PM

It's worship of the leaders, obedience and conformity.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 01:47PM

Absolutely this.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 04:51AM

because LD$ Inc says so,

of course LD$ inc also insists that their MORmON church is the only valid Christian religion and that their (Secret handshaking) MORmONISM is NOT a scam.

.....MORmONS love to endlessly spout off about what their secret handshakes supposedly do (keep families intact beyond this life) just as they have been trained to by their MORmON leaders in order to promote MORmONISM while also refusing to actually mention their (stupid) secret handshakes that supposedly accomplish the family sealing magic.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 09:19AM

They are worshiping their ancestors.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 09:36AM

You're right about that.

It's busy work. Nothing more than that.

The people who attend the temple are the most self-righteous of the lot from TSCC. Only a small percent of the members even have temple recommends. Including those who pay their tithes, for whatever reasons they may have are not entitled to attend the temple even if they are active church goers.

It's engineered piety and sanctimony on display.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 12:09PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's engineered piety and sanctimony on display.

Perfect.

The Smith Family was a poor family looking for a metaphysical angle (angel?) to improve their lot.

I love the phrase "engineered piety and sanctimony" because that is exactly what they did to cover up their impoverished life of deluding themselves and others to their position in the great hierarchy of divine history.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 01:48PM

Adding to that, it is busy work of the worst sort - names are recycled in the temple so members feel needed and holier-than-thou doing supposed work for the dead. But, the names they're given are used over and over and over again to keep them busy and paying their tithing so they can continue to earn heavenly brownie points. It's revolting.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 12:13AM

Because its quieter than noisy sacrament meetings?

Because what else could you come up with to possibly describe what a session at the temple is? Maybe....

Adam and Eve movie night? (bring your own pop corn).

Adult masquerade-ball? (don't forget your tiny apron)

Stand-up-sit-down merry-go-round ball? (just try to fall asleep)

A mostly white monotonous monochrome evening spent in an LDS-3-star-hotel with too many chairs, same ole boring movie every time, not enough snacks and drinks, and costing waaay too much $$$.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 08:06PM

It's worship so the church can claim the temple as a religious building with all the benefits thereof.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 07:33AM

(anono this week)

The same could be said of Sunday services. Except for the sacrament, it mostly revolves around worshiping their families and themselves, the mantra of families can be together forever, and the bragfest that goes along with it every Sunday, it's like facebook except with real people. Mormons can be very self absorbed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 01:01PM

Well, you don't have to wear a toga to church.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 11:51AM

Because the members are coereced to thinking (FREE) Work + no end in sight = "worship".

angela Wrote:
------------------------------------
> I guess it depends on the definition that Mormonism assigns [thinks it can assign] to the word "worship"?

However, for the record, it is called "Temple WORK" for a reason. That's what it has always been and what its always going to be, except when its temple death (always?). The only "worship" is in TCI (the 'church' itself) is Idol - or Idle - Worship.

Anyone who says or thinks it is worship is simply fooled, fooling around, or maybe even a fool, but in any case, they clearly do not know what worship is, or How To DO IT THEMSELVES.

It is probably because they have conflated TEMPLE WOR[k](man)SHIP (they think they are on the high seas, work in shipping, or like the-things [ship] shape?) with worship - because they are OFF WORK and around other LDS (latter day safety), and still DOING WHAT THEY ARE TOLD, following protocol, wearing 'lds clothes'. Closed to the world, and reality of inner, vs. "inside worship".

... forced to think/ thinking of (1) worldly ordinances in crude, if lavishly adorned places, doing NOTHING IMPORTANT/ thinking "What in eternity is going on here?" (Idol Worship), (2) unity, love, healing, peace, etc., (3) what else you could be doing/ when you can get on to more important things/ you can't get out of there fast enough.

To do REAL WORSHIP...
OUTSIDE, on your own-
Freedom

M@t

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 11:55AM

I never thought it was worship. I think the longest time that I was permitted to tarry in the CK lobby chair was about 90 seconds. That's when I got a hard tap on my shoulder to tell me to move along.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.