Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 07:19PM

is a sexual juggernaut whose appetites extend to young boys.

I'm not going to put a link here- just a suggestion to search for Sterling Van Wagenen.

He did confess. And he did go to the police.

But Sam Young never sexually transgressed. Neither did John Dehlin, or Kate Kelly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 08:55PM

He also was heavily involved in the Sundance Film Festival until the 90's. Robert Redford was married to Lola Van Wagenen from 1958 to 1985. She is originally from Provo, so there could be a family connection with Sterling.

The victim in all of this spoke with his identity concealed on the news tonight and it was heartbreaking.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 09:06PM

Geez, how many bricks can Nelson and Oaks shit before they develop terminal hemorrhoids from the perpetual bad PR news that they encounter almost daily?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 02:44AM

Considering the size of their heads, bricks should be no problem.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 09:10PM

Shows real revelation from Lord in making decisions about temple movies. Not

Now I understand why they went to power point so fast. This guy was about to be exposed. And he was but his movies are no longer available to see. I love the honesty from the top. So transparent Not

This gives a whole new meaning to repentance if you read the on line material about this guy and the abuse. He should never have been allowed in the temple little only direct making temple movies.

He becomes the victim it seems and the young man or young men become the abusers.

So much for inspired leadership.

Can you tell I am a little angry?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 09:59PM

This guy should have faced criminal proceedings and had to face his accuser in court. Instead, it looks like this creep got away with abusing a minor with the help of the LDS church; possibly more (if they come forward). That's all the church knows how to do: protect their PH tithe payers while victims are told to get over it.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 11:58PM

I hold this against the parents who refused to prosecute. They didn't want to rock the boat, and they jettisoned their son.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 04, 2019 11:47PM

Serious question: is he the reason the Eve characters were all so hot?

Date: February 05, 2019 12:17AM

slskipper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Serious question: is he the reason the Eve characters were all so hot?

Well, ummm, if this guy liked little boys, he would not have been into Eve, methinks.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 02:56AM

But with some of these creeps it's only partially about sexual attraction.

It's also about the power they have over their victims.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 10:14AM

I always thought Adam looked a little too.... pretty....
Now I know why!!

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 03:13PM

He was not just into little boys. He confessed to multiple affairs with women and possibly trysts with men too. All while married (and still is married).

Posted by: Wouldnt be too sure about that ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 06:19AM

Mmmhmmm...

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 03:29PM

I mirror "David"'s sentiments.

"When asked why he decided to make this recording public, David told the TTF that there are several motivating factors. He is surprised that Van Wagenen has not faced any real consequences for his actions and went on to enjoy church employment that many would consider prestigious and privileged. He wonders if there are other victims who may feel encouraged to come forward and seek much needed healing. Finally, he feels that sharing his story could provide hope to many who have suffered similar abuse and feel silenced for one reason or another."
https://truthandtransparency.org/news/2019/2/4/director-of-mormon-temple-videos-and-sundance-festival-co-founder-admits-to-child-molestation-in-early-90s

When I found out the limited jail time and punitive things my perpetrator suffered I was grieved and enraged. Much like the woman molested by the MTC President the lack of public closure for abuse is something victims deal with every day.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 05:10PM

A slight tangent; from your link above:

In the {police} report, Detective Steve Jentzsch of the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office reported contacting David's father who stated he did not “want to talk about what happened” and that he was “supportive of Mr. Vanwagenen in working out this problem.” Jentzsch concluded that “the victim refused to pursue [the] complaint.” The case was subsequently closed and Van Wagenen was never charged.
--end quote

What are the odds that Steve Jentzsch is related to Heber Jentzsch, President of the Church of Scientology?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heber_Jentzsch

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 03:31PM

Sometimes I know I shouldn't laugh at dark humor, but sometimes I don't know of any other way to cope with such horrific stuff...

From the comments section in one of the articles:

New Degree of Glory in Mormon heaven-

The Molestial Kingdom

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 03:32PM

You get there by giving other Mormons a second anointing or a first as was the case for me and "David."

Date: February 05, 2019 04:03PM

Lot of dark, dark secrets here.

And this guy is still holding a Professor position as well as prestige in the cult?

Civil lawsuits taking every last penny from this guy need to be coming, if the criminal system has failed.

Date: February 05, 2019 04:53PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> as was the case for me and "David."

Elder B:
I am fairly new here and don't know your story. Feel free to share, or is it in your bio on the Board?

Thanks,
Mel

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.