Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 06:46PM

From a recent address given by Dallin Oaks to young married Mormon couples in Chicago --

"Your generation has grown up with an avalanche of information about the history of the Church that is new to many and concerning to some,” he said. “The time-honored principles of relying on and trusting the Lord and His servants are questioned by some"....

....He acknowledged that some Latter-Saint couples face conflicts over important values and priorities. Matters of Church history and doctrinal issues have led some spouses to inactivity. Some spouses wonder how to best go about researching and responding to such issues.

“I suggest that research is not the answer,” he said.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-02-04/president-oaks-advice-to-young-married-couples-in-chicago-on-how-to-tackle-faith-threatening-questions-48930

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 07:14PM

Tactic response that the truth causes people to leave. Not being offended but the truth.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 07:30PM

1. Pray, Pay, Obey

2. see #1

It's really quite simple, 'eh?

Posted by: Lowpriest ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 11:01PM

1. Doubt your doubts (Dieter F. Uchctdorf)
2. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain (OZ The Great and Powerful)
3. If you don't beleive me just ask me (My seminary teacher)
6. It's behind us (Gordon B Hinckley)
7. We have always been at war with Eurasia (Orwell, 1984)

This is astonishing. I was able to spot this double speaking con man without doing any research!

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:48PM

"He has no clothes on!" (The Emporor's New Clothes)

Posted by: darla ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 07:41PM

actually IT IS THE ANSWER. did anyone ever get through school without doing research. were you ever able to buy a car or house without your credit being researched?

RESEARCH IS THE ANSWER TO A LOT OF THINGS.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 09:17PM

darla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> actually IT IS THE ANSWER.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

And had I done my research, my due diligence, I would not have wasted so much time and money chasing the mirage of community, faith, support, gospel, etc.

Posted by: darla ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 10:09PM

if i could have found back then what i have found on the internet i would have done my research and saved me a lot of money and decades of my life. too little too late. but then again, better late than never. so happy to be out with 10 percent more money

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 07:56PM

And this coming from a F****** lawyer yet!

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 08:45PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
> And this coming from a F****** lawyer yet!

Lawyers like Hoaks, in the face of hemorrhaging membership of his Masonic church-front, are often prone to dish out blatant nonsense like this.

His advice, when tackling a question which may threaten the faith of some Saint is: "research is not the answer."

"But dad, there's a cartoon here printed in one of our religion's standard works that depicts God on his throne with a boner! What about that, dad?"

Dad: "Lay off the research, my son, it's not the answer. I know in my heart that Joseph and all his pals and handlers were true."

Dallin's testimonkey every time, no research needed.

Date: February 05, 2019 09:19PM

elderpopejoy Wrote:

> Hoaks....Masonic church-front.....

Hahahahahahahah!!!!

Good ones!!!

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 08:32PM

It’s much worse than that!!
He was a Utah Supreme Court judge!

Posted by: gettinrral ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 08:38PM

Notice he doesn’t point at the TSCC essays?
Here was an opportunity squandered.
He COULD have done the “RIGHT” thing and suggest that there are legitimate concerns and that the church has written topical essays that attempt to address them. But NO!! What a bunch of fucktards!

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 08:02PM

Well that explains why he was duped by Hoffman's forgeries. Maybe he should have done some research first before trying to give an answer for the salamander letter.

See page 22
https://zackc.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/reading-church-history-oaks1.pdf

Just a little bit of research on Oaks gives me an answer, one I'm sure he won't like.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 08:57PM

Please do your own research. "The truth will set you free". Just not the freedom Oaks and his cronies think you should have.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 09:07PM

Unbelievable.

Research is at your fingertips. He is telling people to be willfully ignorant.

This is why faith is so very dangerous. Prioritizing the beliefs over facts is bad enough when it is applied to the preposterous claims of religion. It's dangerous for us all when people don't do their research outside of religion.

This is an example of how religion stunts critical thinking skills. Deciding to defend the religion instead of publicly repudiating what is obvious from factual research traps and divides people. It results in people devaluing and spinning true objective research and choosing to support the lies from their religion.

Date: February 05, 2019 09:23PM

Well said, Dagny.

Posted by: cannonfodder ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 09:36PM

Turns out he's absolutely right. Research is not the answer . . . if you want to keep your testimony. If you're interested in learning the truth, or if you'd like some objectivity in your historical knowledge, then maybe, just maybe, research is the answer.

Actually I have Mr. Oaks to thank for planting the seeds of doubt that led me out of mormonism. I was a first year law student at BYU (in the mid-90s) when he addressed the law students at a special devotional. His topic was "Lying for the Lord." He made some off the record comments that didn't sit well with me. Those comments never made it into the printed version of his speech. About 5 years later, after doing tons of research, I was out. For me, research was just the answer that I needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 09:42PM by cannonfodder.

Date: February 05, 2019 10:22PM

Love

Family & Personal loyalty

Honesty (truth), Kindness

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 10:35PM

(anono this week)

“But the best answer to any question that threatens faith is to work to increase faith in the Lord Jesus Christ,”

this is a ponderable statement. But faith in Jesus takes away from faith in the mormon hierarchy? This would be bad for the their bottom line of believing in them.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 10:54PM

Wow, I think this blatant statement by Man who wishes he was King-Oaks shouts out how much the MormonCult is hurting. No beating around the bush here.

Lately, the MomonCult theme in its talks has been blunt warning the members to leave those doubts untouched and increase their FAITH. The theme has been preached over and over and methinks they protest too much.

And, I predict there will be even more excommunications....the cult will have to step up its scare tactics of trying to put a stop to the hurricane that is making those Moroni statues sway with the strong winds.

Date: February 05, 2019 11:06PM

If members knew the current abuses & half-lies of ChurchCo...

If members knew that ChurchCo is far away from what it claims to be...

If members knew how real questions are side-stepped, discouraged, and effectively Banned from consideration..

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 11:26PM

Re: Answering children’s questions.

“When you are asked a difficult question, such as a puzzler about Church history, be honest and, if necessary, say you don't know. But then be sure to say what you do know: ‘I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God’."

Or tell them the truth. That Joseph was a shameless con man who made it all up so he could have all the women he wanted without having to work for a living.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 11:56PM

The first pamphlet in the series will be the "Research is Not the Answer" pamphlet.

Other titles planned for the series are:

1. Logic Is Not the Answer

2. Sometimes the Scriptures Are Not the Answer

3. Sometimes the Words of Dead Prophets Are Not the Answer

4. History Is Not the Answer

5. Skepticism Is Not the Answer

6. Common Sense Is Not the Answer: Strive for Exceptional Sense

7. Thinking Is Not the Answer

8. That Answer Is Not the Answer

9. It Only LOOKS like an Incoherent Jumble of Contradictory Nonsense: Do Not Be Deceived!

10. Stop Looking for the Answer! Just Stop! We Already Told You the Answer!

Date: February 06, 2019 10:10AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> The first pamphlet in the series will be the
> "Research is Not the Answer" pamphlet.
>
> Other titles planned for the series are:

Oh Wally, you are so funny!
Especially this one:

> 8. That Answer Is Not the Answer

Heh heh heh!!!!!

Date: February 06, 2019 10:20AM

Dallin H. “Incompetence is the answer” Oaks.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 08:23AM

“When you are asked a difficult question, such as a puzzler about Church history, be honest and, if necessary, say you don't know. But then be sure to say what you do know: ‘I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God’."

Isn't that what's known as a "thought stopper"? Thought stopping can be a powerful tool for breaking bad habits and disrupting cycles of self-doubt. But, as Oaks is promoting it here, it can be an insidious and self-imposed means of blocking any legitimate and healthy path of inquiry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 08:23AM by GregS.

Date: February 06, 2019 10:13AM

GregS Wrote:

> ‘I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God’."

Yes, when those little kids would go up front and say "I know the church is true" it sent chills down my spine.

Made me wonder just how many years of 'counter-programming' might be required to wash their brain clean of those memorized beliefs.

Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 07:35PM

I hope it doesn't take too many years to get the garbage out of all the little kids' heads. i'm 70 and my kid is 40 (AND TO THIS DAY BLAMES AND HATES ME FOR TAKING HIM TO THE CULT. SAYS THEY TAKE MONEY FROM LITTLE KIDS) and we still can't shake it.

me thinks we gonna die with leftover garbage in the head.....

btw, on second thought, i do have a child that ran from the church and also home as a young teen and i think they got rid of it. unfortunately they are hooked on drugs. you would never guess that child even went to the mormon church...nothing left, not a drop of mormonism left in that one

i don't care to take it that far so i guess i will have to live with the nightmare of what the church did to us.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 10:36AM

They talk a lot about trusting in the Lord and gaining a greater faith in Jesus Christ, but then they do a bait and switch and make the Church, not God or Jesus Christ, the one you should trust in. I don't see that as a winning strategy because instead of "my yoke is easy and my burden is light" people get loaded with heavy burdens because of the requirements of the corporation. Reading church history makes people question why they should take on the heavy burdens instead of the light ones Jesus talks about.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 11:03AM

The glory of god is intelligence (when's the last time you heard that?)

The glory of man/woman is blind obedience

Date: February 06, 2019 12:17PM

When asked a difficult question,

Answer the question THEY SHOULD HAVE ASKED!

(can't find the quote, but a GA said that!)

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:46PM

I believe it was Packer borrowing a quote by Henry Moyle. Something like: If they don't ask questions I like, I give them answers to questions that I do like.

Major paraphrase there. It's been years since I came across it myself.

Packer bragged about how often the Moyle quote got him out of a bind from awkward questions.

Excellent advice, I imagine, for those awkward "worthiness interviews" that members are subjected to.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 07:29PM

Yes, it was BKP quoting Moyle.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 07:25PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:26PM

Haven't been to BYU for many years. Have they taken down the sign that read, "The Glory of God is Intelligence"?

It seems they would like to replace it with, "The Glory of God is Ignorance".

How is one to attain intelligence without learning? And how is one to become learned without research?

Mormonism is quite baffling these days.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:41PM

Oaks, with this one statement--Research is not the answer---proves that he knows the Mormon church does not stand up to scrutiny. Not in any way, shape, or form.

As a lawyer, it is unethical to cover up, change, or ignore facts. He is doing this. The only reason he won't pay a penalty for this, is that his judge is imaginary and cannot hold him in contempt. Reasonable, scrupulous, honest people everywhere, however, should.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 01:18PM

Not just Oaks. The whole lot of them know that. I don't think there has been a true believer among them since LeGrand Richards.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 05:42PM

>>Oaks, with this one statement--Research is not the answer---proves that he knows the Mormon church does not stand up to scrutiny. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Yes, this is as close to an admission as we will ever get.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 05:44PM

Bingo, summer.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 06:46PM

Oaks is a CULT leader.

CULT leaders never want their recruits to know the real and true details of their cult's claims and real history.

Date: February 06, 2019 08:00PM

But he wants their tithing.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 11:54PM

Yes, he is a cult leader, and these two words perfectly describe and pigeon-hole him. Oaks basks in the pomp and circumstance of using his law background to carve out his special niche in mormondumb as this cult leader, needing to have followers hang on his every word so that he can wield his power to control them.

I personally think it extremely disgusting Oaks can shamefully utter the words, "Research is not the answer", because he has had plenty enough education to know the complete untruth of that statement; I don't believe for a minute he could have passed the law bar exam without knowing how valuable research is. He has instead chosen to use his educational training to make Dallin Oaks a cult leader who abandons critical thinking, research and facts for conning just like ole lying Joe.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 07:47PM

If research is not the answer, then what is?

More tithing, of course...

Date: February 06, 2019 10:32PM

Scott Adams wrote a book just for Oaks: "Win Bigly - Persuasion in a world where facts don't matter"

Maybe someone should buy him the audiobook.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 03:13PM

And here I thought the church claimed to be an open book.

As someone who left the church while I still had a very TBM spouse, Oaks' advice is particularly disturbing to me. He's basically saying that there's no need to try to understand the point of view of a questioning spouse. My husband has basically done just that. I've been out of the church for about five years and it's still the thing that bothers me the most. I don't care that my husband doesn't agree with me, I just don't understand why he has no interest in my perspective.

It's terrible relationship advice, but Oaks isn't the business of saving marriages. He considers a questioning spouse to be dispensable. He's just trying to prevent one more person from learning the truth about his corrupt organization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 03:14PM by want2bx.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 04:19PM

From Oaks own stupid talk: His very words

“For example, the voices of young mothers who had great difficulty managing children during a 3-hour block of meetings on Sunday was an important consideration in reducing our worship meetings to two hours and Primary’s duration commensurately.”

Umm..That sure sounds like research to solve a problem.

Regarding the development of the new church curriculum.

The General Authorities, he added, value “the experience and voice and wisdom” of the sister leaders, particularly the General Officers of the auxiliary presidencies.

“These sisters were consulted frequently on the important developments announced during the last year, and their advice was embodied in all of them.”

Gee, that sounds like more research.

Do you read your own talks, Mister Oaks?

Even a clod like me that was raked over the burning coals of Mormonism learned how to make a coherent church directed talk.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:36PM

is that the more you want to understand the past, the more you need to research.

notmo

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 07:03PM

He missed a great opportunity to say "answers are not the answer." Because we know how much Mormons love their memorable phrases XD (just saw that this was already basically said... Sorry to repeat haha)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2019 07:06PM by dinosaurprincess.

Date: February 07, 2019 07:58PM

What is attending church?

isn't the healthy dose of indoctrination they dole out a result of research (related to learning!)?

My Gosh, people who adapt & follow these insane instructions have lost all touch with reality.

Going to school? Research

Going to Law School, Med School, Engineering or any other discipline? That's research.

Learning a trade, learning social skills? Research.

Becoming stupider? Not Research!

Date: February 07, 2019 08:39PM

In 500 years, a tilting COB will be held up by ropes.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 08:07PM

Again the "church" counsels willful ignorance.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 09:06PM

Had Dallin done any research when he defended the use of "salamander" as an appropriate description of Moroni before the Hofmann papers were exposed as forgeries?

See starting on p. 22:

https://zackc.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/reading-church-history-oaks1.pdf

Date: February 07, 2019 11:42PM

ChurchCo leaders 'kick against the pricks' because the way they currently gaslight, deny facts, Don't recognize or example the most Basic, Core principles/concepts of Christ-Like living is nearly indefensible.

with GAs it's like people have to be 'strictly Mormon' but living Christ-Like is open to interpretation, very ambiguous.

Witness: they say (said in the past?) that the BoM was needed because 'the plain & precious parts of the Bible are/were missing';
Well that's a load of crap-ola folks;

Honesty & Kindness are well-said, well-represented in the N.T., but sketchy at best in the BoM.

the more they say/write, the smellier there words are.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 01:01AM

Not only was nothing plain and precious restored by the book oc mormon, it was full of the same errors found in bibles of the time.

Date: February 08, 2019 08:28AM

Mormon kids should use this rationale when they don’t want to do their homework.

It doesn’t surprise me anymore when Oaks says something really stupid. Will I say dumb sh*t when I get old? Probably, but I won’t care.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.