Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 07:38PM

“Brothers and sisters, we know much more than you suppose,” he said. “You know we are constantly traveling to be with our members all over the world. What you may not know is that every week we receive reports from the most knowledgeable professionals in every field of concern in a worldwide Church — economics, politics, social sciences, legal requirements, diplomacy, the latest thinking on social issues, etc.”“We struggle to be informed. We struggle to be close to our members who number about 16 million in about 150 nations.”

President Oaks’ message hit home for many in the

congregation

since they are struggling to be close to their "about 16 million" just wondering how many of those are dead?

when i was still active many years ago we had a sister while bearing her testimony state that only about 30 percent of members are active. they keep dead people on the rolls for 10 years after they die....their numbers are a little off (phony)

they got one part right “You know we are constantly traveling to be with our members all over the world". THEY ARE CONSTANTLY ON VACATION

.https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2018-08-28/president-oaks-talks-church-history-lgbt-issues-mental-illness-at-los-angeles-devotional-47877

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 11:45PM

with Mormonism, the Constant focus on membership numbers is a tell-tale of their shallow nature.

No Focus, No Mention of the difficult challenges that Mormons face, and Lord no or few stories of how ChurchCo has helped people favorably resolve these problems / challenges.

No mention of how ChurchCo helps members or is an example to others of dealing with serious problems/challenges, Especially those attributable to trying to meet often ridiculous expectations - standards.

Honesty, Kindness, Empathy or unbiased service in their communities? Nope.

Shallow, Shallow, Shallow to the point of meaninglessness; are numbers the best they can brag on? Sheesh!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 11:56PM by GNPE.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:05AM

Isn't a targeted audience fragmenting the membership?

What !? were there age qualifications for invitations / admittance?

Double Sheesh!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 05, 2019 11:47PM

Quoting the book “16 million baptized” number is misleading, but not if they count those as “saved”. Which is actually dumber. They really believe that people not baptized Mormon are screwed. How long they stay active isn’t part of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 10:01AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: ShockedNotSurprised ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 06:10AM

When I was on my mission in 1976, there was 5 million members THEN. ( or so we were told ). What I am saying, is :42 years ago there was 5 million members worldwide & now there's only 16 million........with HOW MANY inactives & left the church without removing their memberships.Do the math folks.That's NOT a lot of members ! ( PleaZZZ feel free to correct me or prove me wrong...I would LOVE to know that something that I was told about the church all those years growing up was true !!! )

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 08:02AM

To most people, 16 million sounds like a lot of people. So I think the church likes to emphasize that number so it sounds like to most people that the church is experiencing phenomenal growth. But 16 million people is nothing. When I worked in China, I worked in a city with almost 15 million people. I had never even heard of the city before I started looking at working there. And there are dozens of cities with 10 million people or more all over China. Most of them have never even heard of Christianity, let alone the LDS church. For God's "one true church", he has done a terrible job of spreading it around. 16 million people is nothing, it is puny when compared to the global population. In terms of growth, Jehova's witnesses have had a greater rate of growth over their history than "God's one true church". God is fighting a losing battle.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:55PM

While on my mission we came across an investigator who had already been baptized a Mormon as a child and didn't even remember it.

I'm wondering how many of the 16 million were baptized at age eight and never darkened the door of a Mormon chapel after that day? How many developmentally challenged children/adults were baptized? How many of extreme age in nursing homes don't even know they are Mormon any more due to dementia are on the roles?

And, as stated by another, how many have left without resigning or even knowing how to resign?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 01:20PM

Interesting Oaks says they "struggle" to be close to the members. Since well over half the members want nothing to do with Mormons, it no doubt really is a struggle.

Unfortunately, what Oaks views as a struggle to be close to the myriads of former Mormons, the foMos see as Mormons being pains in the ass who don't know how to take a hint.

And yes, even 16 million is not all that much. Five million, a more realistic guess, is well under a tenth of one percent of the world population, and the growth rate is less than the growth rate of the world population, which means that over time, it is progressively becoming a smaller percentage of the world population.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving cult. (OK, I exaggerate. Scientology deserves oblivion even more than Mormons)

Posted by: darla ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 04:15PM

"Interesting Oaks says they "struggle" to be close to the members."

Just being oakes in and of itself would be a struggle.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 02:58PM

"We struggle to be close to our members who number about 16 million in about 150 nations.”

That's less than a drop in the whole world bucket. (IMO, therefore, nothing to brag about.)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 05:29PM

Maybe they can explain all those empty pews in sacrament meetings as full of spirits. I don't know how any member with functioning eyeballs can explain church activity when they are holding 2-3 callings and are exhausted every Sunday.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 05:49PM

For detailed LDS Membership statistics check out http://www.fullerconsideration.com/membership.php, and yes only about 5 million active. FYI, The LDS Church leaves members they have lost contact with on their records until they are 110.

Posted by: GONE4GOOD4EVER ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 06:27PM

and you don't have to go all the time to be considered active. i read where they consider you active if you attend sacrament meeting once a month. given that and the fact that most aren't listening, probably very close to no one there physically or spititually.

but they know what they know...that joseph smith was a prophet and research is not the answer. got it? and remember, damn it NO RESEARCH!

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 02:38PM

I once attended the annual meeting of a Presbyterian
congregation. One item on their handout was the number of people
dropped from membership in the congregation for not having
attended for a year. What would the numbers for the Morg be if
they didn't count anyone who'd been inactive for a year or more?
Their 16 million number is totally bogus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.