Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 01:16AM

"After I came out, some people asked me why I’d chosen a university run by a religion that excommunicates members who undergo gender-confirmation surgery or enter a same-sex marriage. Like most decisions in life, it wasn’t simple. I was born into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and until my early 20s, I had a hard time reconciling my beliefs with my trans identity. I thought that attending a Christian university could help me connect to God and “overcome” my gender dysphoria (the conflict I felt between the gender I was assigned at birth and my gender identity)."

Good article. I like how the author was able to make a connection with one roommate who also felt marginalized, but in a different way. But ultimately, I don't know how you make your peace with a religion that is determined to marginalize you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 12:08PM

summer Wrote:

> I don't know how you make your peace with a religion that is determined to marginalize you.

Yes.

I think marginalized people (transgender as in this article, or others such as single/divorced/child-free) think THIS TIME it will be different. That they can change people's prejudices and be accepted for the people they are.

Brick wall in TSCC.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 06, 2019 10:39AM

finds themselves still caught in the promise that they have all the answers, but their answers are the wrong answers. I've seen so many gays go through this including my ex and then myself. I had lost faith in the lds church after I found out my "boyfriend" was gay. BUT old habits die hard. I didn't know where else to turn for answers and, back in 1983, who do you tell that the guy you are dating is gay.

What I wanted to know is that he would be okay, that he wasn't damned. Well they told me he was damned unless he changed. I just wanted him to not be lonely, to be able to find someone to spend his life with. I certainly didn't have the internet at the time, but you still want AN ANSWER.

It took me something like 23 years to find the answers I needed. It is part of his journey, trying to come to the realization that he is OKAY just as he is and that the lds church doesn't have any answers for him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.