Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 04:36PM

...I mean, come on folks. In your face much?...well, you might have to rethink that. Just don't shoot the messenger.......again.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/bishops/accused/global_list_of_accused_bishops.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:29PM

I have a few points, and since Lot's Wife the other day tied this into Mormonism nicely I'll just piggy back on that. We've heard time and time again stories about Mormons covering up for other Mormons. In my own family terrible things were excused because the perp was a priesthood holder, or because it would have otherwise been very embarrassing. Mormonism doesn't need to mature to cover up, excuse, forgive, and forget some of the most horrendous crimes. They are already doing this.

On to my points.

1. Why are there seemingly very few legal ramifications for these men. Sure they get slapped on the wrist by their church or even privately humiliated, but why are they protected from the law?

2. Why does it seem like the leadership feels like the only thing they have to do is acknowledge the abuse? Taking this to it's extreme conclusion does the leadership want to protect their ability to commit these crimes in the future?

3. WWJD?

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:39PM

jacob Wrote:

> 1. Why are there seemingly very few legal ramifications for these men.

I think these things usually happen without witnesses, and it is one word against another, usually youngsters aren't believed because the hearer doesn't WANT to believe.

By publishing and shaming at least people are paying attention, no it's not enough but I am still heartened by it. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, whichever church it is. I applaud the authors for doing this.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:42PM

I don't buy it. I'm not very familiar with the legal system in many of these countries but isn't it up to law enforcement in most countries to decide whether or not to pursue charges or not? Why does it seem like law enforcement either chooses not to or doesn't even get a chance?

Date: February 07, 2019 05:57PM

jacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't buy it.

Other factors in addition to no witnesses and not being believed exist, I am sure.

Male trivilization bias about s*x crimes may be one, I am no expert, just speculation.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:32PM

why is America so long of a list. We definitely have more than our share of pervs?

hmmm.....

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:32PM

(anono this week)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:37PM

Because the US takes child abuse more seriously than most of the world. And because the US legal system and media have gone farther in exposing abuse that is widespread everywhere.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 05:46PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 06:02PM

It's only a matter of time.

There are libel laws, but it would be a relatively easy thing to do if one just listed news articles about specific people and expressed no judgment on the merits. There could also be a second column listing convictions.

Date: February 07, 2019 06:24PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's only a matter of time.

It will be interesting to see whether Moron church is as culpable as the Catholics?

Because the Catholics are paid and in the position for life (is that correct?) and the Morons are rotated through every few years and I would think, would be easier to get rid of than the Catholics if there were any allegations against them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.