Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 02:00PM

Many older, set-in-their-ways TBMs here, but almost 2 ft of snow... this is a 30 or 40 (+) year event.

Most residential streets are nowhere near being passable, virtually no chance of church tomorrow....

I can sense the anxiety now... WHAT WILL WE DO?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 05:57PM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 02:03PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 02:07PM

The snow job in the chapel will be deeper and more difficult to clear than the snow in the streets.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 02:35PM

fall back five yards and punt!!!!!!!!
That is a lousy situation you are in

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 02:58PM

in the late 1970s or early 1980s, we had a significant accumulation of snow over a few days. They cancelled church IN UTAH!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 03:21PM

This calls for extra home study. But going a week without taking the sacrament is a high risk gamble. What if you die before the next Sunday and show up in the spirit world not having freshly remembered Jesus's sacrifice and vowed once again to keep the commandments? Oh NO! That's why there should be a priesthood holder in every home.

Date: February 09, 2019 03:28PM

Now you're Throwing Stones; I didn't do that when I was TBM & snowed in... Oh the Horrors!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 07:27PM

...lived in a small Branch about 80 mi. one way. Decided to just stay home and do my own Sacrament Mtg. No, NO!! BP said it couldn't be done outside the Chapel. "You MUST attend to receive the Blessings!!" Big dustup. Next, I battled the SP about sending son into military vs. Mission. My son got extensive electrical training, now makes big bucks, thanks to Navy. The church's influence went downhill from there.....I mainly hung out in the parking lot with other scurrilous outcasts and discussed politics, and other distractions.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 01:33AM

It's no difficult thing to fill some dixie cups with water and fill a tray full of bread bits, mumble a prayer over it all and then pass it around, making a point of not offering any of it to the obvious skanks, potheads and backsliders.

Then, it's also easy enough to torture each other with a slow-motion chalkboard-scratching-like rendition of a favorite Mormon hymn, followed by half a dozen "testimonies". Then, after the last testimony bearer has confirmed that he/she knows beyond a shadow of a doubt and with every fiber of her beans-- just as plainly, clearly and tangibly as he/she knows his/her temple garments are once again climbing up a bit too high and tight--THAT Russell Mormon Nelson is a living Prophette, Seersucker and Revoltalator, the presiding Milky Z. Duck priesthood holder can ask someone to say the closing prayer.

See, pretty much the same worship experience as attending in the official church building. Just a cozier setting.

What kind of snowflakes would let...well...a high accumulation of snowflakes...prevent them from doing all their Sunday gotta-do stuff?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 04:30PM

Victoria, BC also getting an unusual dump of snow. Their palm trees won't be happy with that!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 04:40PM

We're at -1 and awaiting "flurries" on Sunday. And we're freaking. Just not used to it. Meanwhile, the sun shines, the frost glistens and I make an emergency shopping list so we don't starve for the one or two days I may not want to drive in the "storm". My version of food storage, ha.

Yes. We're spoiled as heck.

Hi LR. Hope you're doing OK. Sounds like you enjoyed your trip down under (under the Cdn/US border).

Hope everybody's okay and the weather improves all 'round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2019 04:41PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 07:09PM

Still in the desert, NG. Enjoying the weather....a bit cool compared to last year but beats the hell out of -25 at home. My daily walks are a breeze on pavement where at home I'm on snowy gravel. I'm doing OK personally too. Some days it's a bit of a struggle to get past the fog that clouds my psyche but if I work at it I do OK.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 05:04PM

Attend the WebEx ward?

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 05:57PM

Down under in Queensland we've had our hottest January average on record. Wednesday to hit 41c a little snow would be a nice break.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 06:02PM

That's a lot of snow even for seasoned winter travelers.

Hang tight. It'll be gone before you know it.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 06:36PM

The snow might be gone but the floods will begin.

Date: February 09, 2019 06:37PM

40.6 cm; no hint or sign of warming in any forecast...

employees / customers can't get to work or stores, neither can delivery trucks.

I predict a week of being snowed in, GLAD internet & power are working!!!

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 04:24AM

Hello GNPE! Do we know each other?

Fellow Sequim-ite here. Roads were pretty bad this morning, but they at least had Hwy 101 plowed down to the pavement by noon.

I work in Port Angeles in the Emergency Room. Our day shift had nearly half of our RNs calling out. Fortunately, the patients also stayed away as well. It could have been really ugly with the staff stretched that thin.

I'm hearing that we are going to get dumped on yet again in the next couple of days.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 08:11AM

Make sure to not blame extreme weather on human-caused global warming.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 12:40PM

*likes*

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 12:39PM

I live in WA, too. The Mormons cancelled church because of the dire forecast. We got snow, but it didn't stick because it turned to rain, but then snowed lightly again, and the temperature dipped to like 29 F. So we got 1/4" of crusty snow. The streets are full of traffic, and the three churches near me are business as usual. But DW is home because it's "too dangerous" to have church. I hope it doesn't get too bad there. It's fecking terrible when a region that doesn't usually get snow suddenly gets a lot, because no one's prepared to deal with it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 01:08PM

Hopefully, you won't get wind on top of it all.

Date: February 10, 2019 02:23PM

snow plow person: 'thanks' for plowing snow in a mound at the end of the driveway, that 'iced' our ability to get out.

more snow forecast for this afternoon, Monday & Tuesday.

could use some COFFEE here, we were going to *bucks every day;
hence no coffee here...

I have a (tempered glass) roof over the hot tub, I squeezed some energy out of myself to get most of the snow off the roof.

If there's any Global Warming available, send it to 98382.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 11:12AM

Forget the Stars and go (Buck naked, if you have to) get REAL coffee... and never run out again (or I'll personally bring you some) [naked]!

I'm going to make some coffee.
Hope you've had yours today (or you will).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 02:47PM

We got hit with the polar vortex in January, but no precipitation. I've had my share of "storms(s) of the century!"

What can I do for you, GNPE, except say, "I feel your pain"?

Date: February 10, 2019 03:13PM

It's -3C in my area today, windy, awaiting snow. Brrrrrr. Feels like -9 according to the weather network.

I don't shovel. I just don't go out. Lots of soup, bread, tins, cheese, crackers and fluids in the house. Not quite a year's storage but enough that I don't have to worry about shovelling the driveway to get out for essentials. When our "storms" only last for a day or two, that is.

Expecting "flurries" Mon and Tues. Fortunately, that might be about it. It's quite late for us to get snow - none at year's end and now the Arctic intervenes in our early spring. Go figure.

I know we have it way easier than countless others in the icy grip. We're watching it snow (a lot!) in Minnesota where my sister lives. She said they're living on homemade soup. Mine comes from a can. I'm into convenience. And it'll do.

Stay safe, y'all.

Date: February 10, 2019 05:02PM

Time to break out the can opener. Soup for supper it is.

It's a relief when the snow finally gets here. It warms up right away. Lots of folks without power. Thankfully, we're OK for now.

Date: February 11, 2019 03:41PM

2" of snow and I'm stuck indoors. And I was wrong. It hasn't warmed up. More snow coming several days this week. We're hovering around zero degrees and I can't take it. Way too cold! I cannot imagine the folks next door to us in Alberta where it's -50! I'd make like a groundhog for the duration.

I know I'm not tough enough. By far. Feeling aggrieved that I can't drive down to the mall. Very disgruntled too that I've picked up a very heavy cold. Have I not paid my dues already? I think so.

But I know countless others have it way worse. Somehow that's not all that comforting today. But I'm fortunate to have two brothers to help me out, one delivering groceries, the other with a big truck at my disposal. So I shouldn't complain. But I do anyway. One day I'm enjoying all the daffodils, the next, gazing in dismay at all the snow all over the place. I thought spring had sprung. Not yet, apparently.

Date: February 11, 2019 12:38AM

If you'd like to do a meet-up, my email is public!

Smiles, anders t

Date: February 11, 2019 10:14AM

There was a snowball toss in P.A. yesterday. It even made the news!

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/crowd-gathers-for-community-snowball-fight-in-port-angeles/

Date: February 13, 2019 11:03AM

Now the rain... and slush and mud - after tonight's/ tomorrow's snow!

Hope all comes out clean, warm, dry, and even fat and happy.

Tidings all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 12:06PM by moremany.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 11:39AM

2 - 3 more inches Tuesday nite / Wednesday morning...
Last time I measured (2 days ago), it was 18 inches which is more than at Oslo where my dad's people are from.

Trouble keeping path to hot tub open, Please Send HELP!!

Date: February 13, 2019 12:02PM

If I was there, I'd help keep the path free, for 20 (minutes at a time)!, by getting a drink every 20 minutes - or use a cozy (on my coffee), and stay cozy.

Stay cozy!

Date: February 13, 2019 01:05PM

visitors are Welcome...

btw, are U touch with Strength in the loins?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 01:06PM by GNPE.

Date: February 16, 2019 07:00PM

Not yet. Let's all be in touch though.
I'll write you (would never wrong ya').

If I write, will you left back?
I'll be right back. Doughhh!

Date: February 14, 2019 07:33PM

today (Thursday) was 1st in a long time no new snow in a.m. upon waking...

It got to 40 today (about 8C for Ron & our other metric friends, ha ha), so it's started to melt, but future is ???

roads aren't to 100%, don't go out unless 4WD or AWD...

here there isn't enough snow to park those HUGE loaders all winter like they did (do?) in Toledo & other mid-west cities, so the store lots are VERY MESSY :(

Power never went off, so that was a life-saver!!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 07:58AM

Date: February 16, 2019 06:55PM

Whatcha got the Dave?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 21, 2019 12:38AM

Snowing in Las Vegas now. 9:36 p.m.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.