Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 11:35PM

http://www.anonews.co/son-of-pastor-who-lost-his-life-to-rattlesnake-thinking-jesus-would-save-him-is-also-bitten

Seven minutes after being bitten by a snake, thinking Jesus would save him from the bite, a pastor passed away.

Now, his son is suffering from a serious wound, having to undergo emergency treatment after suffering from the exact same injury his father sustained.

Cody Coots, the son of the man who passed away asked if his congregation would go with him to a mountaintop where “God would judge whether he lives or dies.”

In defiance of his wishes to be “judged by God,” instead a follower in his congregation took him to the hospital after he was bitten by a snake he was handling, to sort of test himself and his position with God.

He almost lost his life, because doctors report that the snake bite he sustained came extremely close to severing his temporal artery, and that definitely would have taken his life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 09, 2019 11:44PM

As long as I can bring my service snake on planes...

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 01:29AM

The Q15 should take up snake handling. It would put the line of succession more in God’s hands.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 02:30AM

Spit my drink all over with this one.

Can snakes me trained? As I have in mind some apostles over some others. Then again, maybe the snake knows best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2019 02:31AM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: February 10, 2019 09:27AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 01:51AM

In the video I noticed that children were present in that debacle. The whole bunch of adults needs to go to jail.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 01:53AM

+1

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 08:17AM

Sometimes stupidity runs in families.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 09:06AM

The son almost received a Darwin Award.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 10:12AM

Notice it was the emergency services (aka science) that actually worked to save the guy and not depending on God.

This type of fruitcake does damage to science literacy, education, and progress in general with their faith-over-facts beliefs. Yet, they depend on science when the faith BS fails.

Sounds like this guy shouldn't have followed daddy's career choice.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 12:02PM

Mark 16:18 "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

For one thing It's bat$#!% crazy to base your ministry on one verse in the Bible--actually only five words in one verse. (Not that I personally endorse basing a ministry on any or all of the Bible, but I digress).

Secondly, do these morons drink "deadly things" during their services? If not, why not.

Thirdly, even back when I believed in the bible, I understood this verse to mean that God would protect when necessary, not to go out of your way to be poisoned.

Date: February 10, 2019 03:52PM

CrispingPin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark 16:18 "They shall take up serpents; and if
> they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt
> them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they
> shall recover."
>
> For one thing It's bat$#!% crazy to base your
> ministry on one verse in the Bible--actually only
> five words in one verse.
>
> Secondly, do these morons drink "deadly things"
> during their services? If not, why not.

At my Baptist church, we do: Brother Mario's coffee. He claims to have been divinely appointed, but we're finding some inconsistencies in the dates and details of his visions and revelations. :=)
>
> ...I understood this verse to mean that God would
> protect when necessary, not to go out of your way
> to be poisoned.

Christ also said (Deut. 6:16,Mat 4:7, Luke 4:17), "Do not put the Lord to the test."

Posted by: snowowl ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 05:00PM

You do know that Mark 16:9-20 is not original to the book of Mark?

As early as the 4th century A.D., the church fathers Eusebius and Jerome noted that the earliest Greek manuscripts in their possession did not contain verses 9-20. The earliest manuscripts of the gospel of Mark do not contain those verses, so they are an interpolation, a later addition not original to the writing of Mark and cannot be considered Scripture or claimed to be the words of Jesus Christ.

There are additional problems in the passage that would indicate that the concepts expressed were lifted from other Scriptures but then redacted and applied in a different manner. The claim that a person would not be harmed by poisonous snakes is found in Luke 10:19 and Acts 28:3-5. However, in those passages, the protection was granted to the 70 disciples and the apostles, while in Mark, although the passage speaks about the apostles, the protection is stated to be granted to all those who have believed, which would be every Christian believer. That would be a claim not found in any other Scripture. In addition. The passage speaks about not being harmed by drinking any deadly poison also a claim not found in any other Scripture. There is also the claim in the verses that “them that believe,” being every Christian believer, would “speak with new tongues.” That claim was refuted by the apostle Paul in
1 Corinthians 12:30 and is not found in any other Scripture.

Virtually every legitimate modern translation of the Bible makes a note that Mark 16:9-20 is not supported by the earliest manuscripts. The notation is found in my copies of the KJV, NKJV, NAS and NIV. The snake-charming cult leaders ignore the evidence in order to retain control over their followers. The inevitable deaths or severe illnesses eventually happen.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 05:10PM

“The snake-charming cult leaders ignore the evidence in order to retain control over their followers.”

Hmmm, sounds like another cult I know.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 12:29PM

In "defense" of snakes: None of the snakes in the US are known to be powerful enough to kill a grown person in a few minutes like it allegedly did with his father, especially if one gets bitten in the hand. The article is rather poorly written, so I'm wondering if they got their information wrong. (One of my friends lives in the Blue Mountains in Georgia, on a couple of acres of land in the forest. One of his lovely, but not-too-bright dogs has been bitten now like three times by copperheads and rattlesnakes, and she's still with us.)

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 03:31PM

What a PREPOSTEROUS religious practice!

It is hard to believe that some nuts are still practicing this religious practice. (Only in the South?)

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 06:03PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Only in the South?)

Stupidity happens everywhere and lots of Southerners are just as smart as others. Look at where TSCC is, it's not in the South, right? TSCC never came near the South but lots of their practices are just as crazy as snake-handling.

What I most object to costs of treating this fool, probably uninsured and thus his cost of treatment is passed on to me by the hospital if I go.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 03:42PM

Am I indeed awake? Is not this a dream? What century is this?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 05:27PM

Natural Selection

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 06:57PM

Does anyone o' ya find it interesting that one of the faithful videoed the whole thang with a closeup just as Coots holds the snake near his face?

Darn it! Don't ya hate it when yer one shot at a reality show goes to Hay-ell. And darn them who just happens to take ya-all to the hospital instead of your mountain top?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 09:59PM

I have no use for this kind of nonsense. My father taught me how to recognize pit vipers (the only kid of poisonous snakes where we lived) and also black widow spiders before I was in school. He also taught me how to handle non-venomous snakes. To this day, I have no problem picking up non-pit vipers and relocating them, but the road runners usually get them first!

Posted by: wowza ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 04:56AM

So on a christian level, isn't there a whole thing in the gospels about not tempting God or asking for a miracle. ie. don't go looking for trouble expecting to get bailed out?

On just a normal animal handling level. They weren't respecting that snake at all, jumping around and screaming, shaking the damn thing. I would've bit him too!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 12:52PM

wowza Wrote:

> On just a normal animal handling level. They weren't respecting that snake at all, jumping around and screaming, shaking the damn thing.

Yes. Snakes serve a valuable purpose in the ecosystem, and should be left alone. This was cruelty for some idiot's publicity stunt.

Agree with Kathleen and Catnip, also!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.