Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 10:52PM

The Praia Cabo Verde, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Yigo Guam temples all look virtually identical. I had to compare the images side by side to spot the minor variations. That's pretty cheezy in my book. They've done this before with the rash of McTemples (30+ in the year 2000 alone.)

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/praia-cabo-verde-temple/

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/san-juan-puerto-rico-temple/

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/yigo-guam-temple/

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 10, 2019 10:59PM

Praia and Guam both have double rows of windows on each side of the main entrance while the San Juan temple only has one window on each side. Guam has a rectangular entrance arch while the other two have semicircular arches. Praia seems to have an extra wing on the side (both sides probably.)

Guam has a darker dome but sometimes coloration details can change between the rendering and the final product. (I notice the Winnipeg design went from a light-colored stone to brick, for instance.)

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 11:02PM

which in turn probably makes it easier to fudge accounts, inflate stated costs above actual costs, and more effectively launder money through the temple construction program.

Looking at some of the bizarrely exotic locations of many of the new temples, I get the impression (or as Nelson would say, an impression is strongly impressed upon my mind) that these are (a) strategic real estate acquisitions and (b) destinations that the General Authorities and their relatives and friends want to vacation at. With regard to the latter, having a temple at any given location gives a perfect excuse and cover story for an all-expenses-paid vacation billed to the tithepayers.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 10, 2019 11:28PM

Speaking of that rash....

So they completely rebuilt the Memphis "temple", but I notice that they didn't add a single square foot. No enlargement. That means, they progressed zilch as far as increasing capacity, this was merely a new outfit. I'll bet they close it again in 2 more years because "they need to increase capacity" or somesuch.

https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/memphis-tennessee-temple/photographs/#Construction-3

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 12:23AM

Some time ago a poster mentioned that the Memphis temple had a mold problem and that is why it had to be rebuilt.

Date: February 11, 2019 01:02AM

without a temple recommend? Aren't the temples guarded by angels and the spirits of the stripping Nephite warriors?

Are they powerless against mold? Too high and mighty to get their hands dirty fighting mold?

I'm starting to think that maybe the temples aren't all they're cracked up to be and...I hate to say it...I'm starting to think those stories about the temples being guarded by angels and the spirits of righteous Nephites...well, I'm starting to think they may not be true.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 04:22PM

Don't underestimate the powers of nnn. He's tracked in mud, gum and other pests on the bottom of his church shoes. Of course, the power of the priesthood welcomes him and his varmints into the house of the lord.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 11:00AM

I love stripping warriors.

Date: February 11, 2019 02:58AM

notmonotloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some time ago a poster mentioned that the Memphis
> temple had a mold problem and that is why it had
> to be rebuilt.

Which of course brings up the whole revelation issue again. Why didn't the Lawd warn the Prophet to make sure the initial construction was properly guarded against mold? Did the Lawd want them to waste all that money and have to do it all over again?

I guess you could ask this question of any number of bad decisions made by the leaders over the years.

Date: February 11, 2019 03:14AM

leaders, their track record is especially horrendous.

POLYGAMY?

Ooops!

150 YEARS OF ENFORCEMENT OF A TEMPLE/PRIESTHOOD BAN AGAINST BLACK PEOPLE?

Uh-oh! Ooopsie-daisy!

70 YEARS OF WASTED FOOD STORAGE?

Oh...well...not such a big deal. You can never be too cautious. Better safe than sorry, even if it means wasting all of your disposable income on wheat that went rotten and that nobody wanted to ever eat in the first place.

THIRTY YEARS OF PRAYING TO A GUY NAMED ADAM, MISTAKENLY BELIEVING THAT HE WAS OUR GOD AND THE ONLY GOD WE ARE SUPPOSED TO WORSHIP?

Hey, don't be such a harsh critic! How was the Mormon prophet supposed to know God from Adam? Sheesh! He may be a prophet, but he's still human and humans make mistakes. It's not like he instructed you to worship a false god...uh...oh... wait.... Okay, fudge! Well, that was just that one time...that...uh, well, continued for about thirty years or so. But, hey, LOOK OVER THERE!

The leadership of the LSD Church is especially inspired in the same way that my pet amoeba is especially smart.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 08:42AM

Mold is a very common problem in the South and in any humid climate. In the rush to make these buildings energy efficient, the designers have sealed the exteriors too tight, and it do not recirculate air enough, nor do they do enough air exchanges with outside air. This all leads to mold and mildew, etc. It was not a massive problem until they made the exteriors too well sealed to allow air leakage.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 12:36PM

Satan has dominion over the fungus.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 12:37PM

I don't know that we teach that.

I understand the doctrine behind it, but I don't think we talk about it much.

Date: February 17, 2019 08:22AM

container that somehow sealed the stale, moldy, mustiness inside and kept all the fresh air and the Holy Ghost outside, so that they couldn't get inside to put things in good order.

The Church of Fungus Lice and Moldy Slime Ants.

You'd think an organization led by God's one and only genuine mouthpiece and prophet for the whole world...could...uhmmm...perform a bit better on routine building projects. It's an organization that's been building in all parts of the world for more than 100 years and they still couldn't figure out how to prevent mold in Memphis.

I guess Jesus didn't figure it was important enough to give the Mormon prophet an "impression on his mind". Meh...it's just tithepayer money being flushed down the toilet. There's always more on the way.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 10:25AM

What I always notice the temples get progressively uglier with each new design. Don't they have proper architects designing them? Why make it look like Homer Simpson's attempt to design a car? And yet, active members will ooh and ah about how "beautiful" they are. And there is always the bonehead belief that the new temples will attract random people off the street who will declare, "Wow! I want inside! Sign me up!"

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 03:58PM

"Homer Simpson's attempt to design a car." Way too good.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 04:25PM

I am waiting for the one that looks like Taco Bell. Maybe a pink neon light that flashes "Templo" or something to that effect.

I think 90% of modern temples look tacky; which is ok in my book.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 05:25PM

messygoop Wrote:
> I think 90% of modern temples look tacky; which is ok in my book.

They are offensive to me because real churches would welcome anyone whereas these are barred to you unless you contribute enough money to get in.

This is another thing that is not mentioned when you are being 'converted'.....

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 03:45AM

messygoop Wrote:
> I am waiting for the one that looks like Taco
> Bell. Maybe a pink neon light that flashes
> "Templo" or something to that effect.
>
> I think 90% of modern temples look tacky; which is
> ok in my book.

Haha! McTemples. Taco Bell. Put billions and billions of dead baptized on a sign out front.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.