Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newmo ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 05:38PM

I've been a business owner outside of Utah for over 15 years and just recently located here for my wife's job. I realize that professional services, regardless of where you are, can be great or terrible and you have to do your homework, but this in the 6th state I've lived in during those 15 years and have NEVER experienced the level of apathy that I've experienced here. Some examples:

- VERY bad accounting advice (borderline negligent)
- Doctor trying to prescribe me a drug I'm allergic to
- Investment firms not getting back to me (despite having plenty to invest)
- Lawyers being flippant towards serious inquiries

Again, this can happen anywhere, but this happens almost 100% of the time, and upon further investigation the person I'm dealing with is always LDS...and knows that I am not.

Having read numerous threads on here I realize that discrimination and fraud is rampant here in Utah, and I've come to realize that the state is not "pro business" but rather pro LDS-owned business.

With that in mind, I wanted to pick people's brains to see if you know any ways to find above-board accountants, lawyers, wealth managers, etc. that work with small/medium businesses and either aren't LDS or couldn't care less whether I am. Or, just your advice in general. I realize I could hire these outside of Utah but we plan on staying for a while and I'd like someone local and trustworthy that knows local laws and regulations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 06:36PM

I would just use the same common sense you would use anywhere else when shopping around. Doing your due diligence when interviewing companies. Checking the credentials of doctors, accountants, references, etc. Check their licensing with the state. Do they have any discipline issues filed with their state board/s? Etc?

If a doctor tries prescribing a drug you've let known you're allergic to for example, go elsewhere. Huge RED FLAG he's a quack.

An investment firm that doesn't get back to you is doing you a favor. You don't want to do business with a company that's not invested in its customers. There are many multi-level scammers and financial frauds in Utah. Whatever you decide to invest in vet, vet, and vet some more before making any decisions. You may be better off with low risk Treasury bonds than sinking your money into a pyramid scheme where you stand to lose it all. Utah is a hotbed of such scams.

There are legitimate financial advisors though. That's why it pays to do your homework.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 06:51PM

If you are happy with your previous investment firm I am at a loss as to why you would want to switch. You can always video conference if you want to talk to your advisor. I am sure that you are aware of the advice to write your checks out for stocks, bonds, and mutual funds to the companies directly and not to your advisor or his firm.

Apart from that, if you can give your general location in Utah, board members can make referrals.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 06:58PM

H&R Block is a national accounting firm. If you have the money to hire a CPA just ask.

CPA's are a Level B with the IRS. JD's or lawyers are level A with the IRS for tax law. So if you're going to pay the big bucks, a CPA is specialized in tax accounting and that is what you're going to get by hiring a level B. A Level A is a lawyer, but not necessarily a tax lawyer. Make sure if you hire a level A they are specialized in tax laws and that's what their concentration is in. Otherwise you may be throwing your money away on a generalist who doesn't have a clue as to tax laws.

A level C is not a CPA or a lawyer. They are typically a paper pusher who will help you file your taxes and answer simple questions but are not tax experts. Level C's are called "enrolled agents."

Make sure what level your 'accounting' expert is with the IRS is before you hire them to represent you or give you tax advice. Otherwise you'll be throwing your money away. And "ignorance is no defense" in the law if you get it wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2019 06:59PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **   *******   ********  **    **  **      ** 
 ***   ***  **     **     **     **   **   **  **  ** 
 **** ****  **     **     **     **  **    **  **  ** 
 ** *** **   ********     **     *****     **  **  ** 
 **     **         **     **     **  **    **  **  ** 
 **     **  **     **     **     **   **   **  **  ** 
 **     **   *******      **     **    **   ***  ***