Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 05:57PM

Sure you all are getting weary of my posts but bare with me as sitting in this chair is what I am capable while some body parts doth protest too much.

This attempt at being the Bard is a scary reality of what a 75 year old is capable of (or not). I share in the hopes it might bring a smile, not just bad heartburn.

"Seventy-Five"

Seventy-Five, Seventy-Five, ain't it great to be alive?
I know for sure I liked l8, or 22, it too, would do.
3-Quarters of a Century, for all those in know
My granddaughter says is one lengthy show.

Well, I can't tie my shoes nor run to the john,
Hell, I can't easily put my own stockings on.
My teeth I still have, but expensive it is
As the dentist and I are not relatives.

My hair is pure white, but not my damn teeth,
The justice in that? Grief, just pure grief.
Calls to invest in MY Own funeral plot
Bug me, enrage me, and I mean A Lot.

If that's what you call quite the grande show
I'll pass dear granddaughter, this I do know.
Don't get me wrong as I groaan and I wail,
THE alternative, worms n'all, I'll pass full scale.

God I'm not sure of, nor angels and such,
So I'll stay around moaning, thanks very much.

Seventy-Five, Seventy-Five, It's really one trip to be alive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2019 04:38PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 06:09PM

Sometime in his 90s, Mark Twain was asked, "So how are you feeling, Mr. Twain?"
He answered, "Not bad, considering the alternatives."

Congratulations, PresleyInFactREALLProcks. Remember, I'm 3 3/4 years younger, and catching up fast!

Now I've got to get down to my fitness room.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 07:24PM

I don't think my dad necessarily knew that this quote came from Mark Twain, but I remember him saying many times "not bad, considering the alternatives."

He was in relatively good health and died just a few weeks before his 92nd birthday.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 12:22AM

Hope those last years he was healthy and robust. Hitting the 3/4 century mark is sobering indeed.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 12:37AM

Caffiend, you and I are in just about the same boat, age-wise.

OP, your ballad absolutely rocks! When I try to take inventory of which body parts work and which ones don't, it gets scary sometimes.

Date: February 12, 2019 04:40PM

Thanks for the B-day wishes!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2019 07:02PM

75 is the new 60! :o)

I was just mentioning to my brother that some of my young students might live to see the year 2100, which blows my mind. I reportedly had an ancestor that lived to 107 despite some "bad habits." Maybe I will live to be old and ornery, too!

Date: February 12, 2019 04:52PM

I love and will remember that 75 is the new 60. I had a thoughtful? brother in law deliver the news to me when I tuned 69 to enjoy the next year because at 70 everything starts to "really" go down hill. Hmm...thanks? for that bit of news, Sam.

An ancestor making it to to 107...now that does deserve the title of miracle! I'll cross my fingers for you to match or pass. And, I do think some bad habits add spice, and a person deserves that in their resume at any age, especially at 107.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 12:10AM

Well, you certainly brought a smile to me. Congratulations! :D

Date: February 12, 2019 05:11PM

Thanks, Kathleen. I remember when my Mom turned forty (her birthday present was to learn that all her teeth needed to be pulled and dentures were in the forecast). Forty seemed soooo old to me back then, and maybe because I had this picture that soon she would look like my Grandmother, I had this aversion going forward of growing old.

Plus, not to be disrespectful, but the only person I really knew that was quite old (my guess is that then she was about my age of 75), was my Grandmother who appeared unhappy all the time, didn't speak to me but she did my cousin my age which made me mad and hurt my feelings, and just sat and sat some more, silently crocheting and crocheting. She could crochet and sew anything! and, as I ponder this, she had all the patience in the world. I came later to know her story which I did not have a clue about at the time. She had become a widow at 46, had bore nine children, did not have a pension or penny meet the future with as the silver mine her husband died in offered none, and no high school education. I came to so wish we could have come to know each other, that I could have heard her life adventures and stories before she passed at 87.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.