Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 11:48AM

Devout soccer fans will perhaps know the name Gordon Banks. An all-time great goalkeeper for England who died today. A great memory from my past, standing in a crowd of around 100,000 at the semi final of the World Cup at Wembley with Banks in goal for England and going on to defeat the then West German team in the final. If I have ever experienced mass euphoria it was there that day.

Banks pulled off perhaps the greatest save in soccer history when England played Brazil in the 1980 World Cup in Mexico. Brazil crossed the ball into the box where the great Pele headed the ball low into the goal. Or so he thought. Pele was so sure it was going to be a goal he raised his arms in triumph and shouted"Goal!" only to see Banks pull off the most amazing stop and tipping the ball away. It was an amazing save and even the great Pele lowered his arms and applauded,

Forgive my ramblings but another bit of life's memories appeared today to remind me of the vast amount of pleasure sport has given me in life. RIP Gordon Banks one of my sporting icons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 12:06PM

I have never followed soccer (AKA football), so I was unfamiliar with this story, but I enjoyed reading about your recollection of the event. Think about it: The World Cup (the biggest sporting event in the world), Pele (arguable the greatest player ever), and an amazing save. Who knows how many millions of people still smile when they remember that moment.

If only TSCC could have ever made any of us feel as good as Banks' save made you feel.

Date: February 12, 2019 02:16PM

The great save was the World Cup in 1980, the one after the one won by England. I think most sports fans have their icons and their cherished memories. The 1966 semi final was the last major sporting event I attended in England before leaving for a new life this side of the Atlantic. Smiles indeed at the memory.

Date: February 13, 2019 06:31PM

Hardly. He was probably fortunate never to have heard the word.

Presleynfactsrock: I am old enough to have seen some of the truly great players of the beautiful game from long before the modern era. I am thinking of the likes of Stanley Matthews who was still playing competitive football at 50 years old: and Tom Finney, a brilliant player who could play every position up front. Also the brilliant Duncan Edwards who might have gone on to be arguably England's greatest player had he not been killed at a young age when the Manchester United plane crashed at Munich.

Thank heavens for NBCSports which keeps me up to date on the Premier League.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 12, 2019 11:54PM

Seeing that game with Pele HAD to be fantastic! Did you ever see the movie "Victory?" He is in it. No spoilers. . .but I think you would like it.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 12:18AM

It's the moments, like the one you just shared with us, that make life wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Oh that sounds Mormon-y, but I mean it. I appreciate your telling us that story.

Sports bring wonderful moments into my life, as well, but not on a World scale. Generations of kids' soccer, baseball, basketball, college (Utes) football, gymnastics, playing and participating in tennis, skiing, bicycling, water skiing, and just kicking the ball around and playing catch with children in my back yard. Yes, great memories!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 03:44AM

I also thank you for a fun read---your love and enthusiasm for the amazing game of soccer is palpable. I have two soccer-loving sons who I am sure are also mourning the loss of Banks.

Soccer has been big in my family, and I have watched many, many soccer games through the years because of my children's love and participation in the game. Now some of my grandchildren are being coached by my children, and the love goes on.

I was fortunate enough to attend a big City competition soccer game in Germany (what a treat and experience!) with my son, and taken back and somewhat nervous when I saw policemen standing along the fence located at the bottom of the stadium stairs. I loved the massive colorful flags individual spectators were waving....I wondered how they could even hold them, let alone wave them back and forth.

And, the German soccer-game bratwurst was to die for. Fun, fun memories, especially watching my adult son play on a German city local team being yelled at in German!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 03:45AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 06:01AM

What a save, indeed, from one of my childhood heroes.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 10:14AM

Was he Mormon?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.