Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 11:13PM

Seriously...I'm learning that many of my Non-Mormon friends have a better grasp of Mormon Origins than my BIC-TBM family and extended family.

How does that happen???

I'm also learning that many Non-Mormons simply patronize TBMs...and that those same TBMs think that Non-Mormons "Respect" Them...NOT!!!

The joke's on you TBMs...It's always been on YOU...& It was on ME before I grew a brain while on my Mission!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: February 13, 2019 11:23PM

Google

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 03:58AM

Remember research is not the answer.

The modern day equivalent of ignore the man behind the curtain.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:39PM

This reminds me of the gila monster who moved to Las Vegas.
He was called "The lizard of odds"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 05:23AM

>>I'm also learning that many Non-Mormons simply patronize TBMs

Perhaps the word you were searching for is not patronize, but tolerate?

I feel that I have done better than that -- I have tried to reach out the hand of friendship, but it only goes so far. With the TBMs that I know, I've gotten the impression that their *real* friends are their church friends. The rest of us are just potential converts. Another, more outgoing friend of mine has had somewhat better luck, but she blends in with them well and is the type of person to whom everyone is attracted.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 10:04AM

Depending on the entertainment value, patronize could be the right word. I agree with the OP, when I was a TBM, I was pretty weird.

Posted by: John Hope ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 10:32AM

Well when I was a convert TBM,only church friends matter.So you know when i stopped attending it was quite an adjustment.Finding old friends reconnecting.Still doing that.Then i wondered,they were not that bad ehh.I was a convert in a really capitalistic and liberal city.So you know it was very refreshing when i first joined the church.After being more than two years with the members and leaders then i realized these folks are quite dictatorial,passive aggressive and i gradually stopped attending.Since i stopped attending some of the old ladies really gossiped me really badly.No remaining Mormon friends except this 1 lady.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 11:03AM

For this non mormon, I researched mormonism because of where I moved to and I had school-aged kids at the time. Although I understand mormonism better, better than many TBMs, I still regret bringing my kid to Utah

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 11:03AM

"..I still regret bringing my kids to Utah"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 12:47PM

had read the book of mormon before he moved to Utah as he said he wanted to know what he was dealing with. He knows the stories of the bofm much better than I do and I read it plenty of times. He remembers it well. He talks about King Noah all the time. Even my ex couldn't remember the actual facts about the story.

His great grandfather (or great great) was a danite. There is a book about him, but I've never read it. He is a Taylor, so go figure. He left the church and moved back to Ohio back in the 1800s. His father had more books about mormon history on his book shelf than I had before I left mormonism, but his were not mormon-approved books. His father knew mormonism much better than I did.

I actually do have a friend (or a few) who doesn't just tolerate me or see me as a potential convert. Now my aunt that I've talked about obviously only saw me that way. I was lost and she needed to save me and the whole family for my mother, who failed at raising us obviously. I'm just leaving to go visit my best friend, who I've known for over 30 years. She's very mormon. She is genuine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 12:48PM by cl2.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:24PM

Their (mis)leaders don't want them to know much so they put them in a box - and NEVER OPEN IT.

They don't want to know much...
So they don't know much

They don't ask questions...
Since they think they know it all

They don't experiment
They don't investigate
They don't seek, or find

It affects their curiosity
They become dull

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.