Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:00PM

I paid the price by tripping on mine and breaking a hip and a finger.

Since then several friends and professionals have told me this is a common cause of accidents. So please close that door.

I have a new ball in my hip and I'm adjusting well. My finger is almost fully recovered and most of the stiffness is gone. With effort and time I'll eventually be as good as new.

I was a week in hospital care, a week in extended care and two weeks at home with a visiting occupational therapist, a physical therapist, a nurse and a lady who helped me bathe a couple of times.

Thanks to all for their good thoughts and comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:06PM

Excellent idea, Wise One :)

someone ought to publish survey results & stats of reasons for these unnecessary ER & Doc. office visits!

Peace, but don't 'Be Still', ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 02:07PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:26PM

Welcome back, Cheryl! Thanks for the dishwasher door advice. It's a good reminder.

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:31PM

We missed you and were worried about you.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

CZ

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:45PM

(anono this week)
It's good your getting better. And thanks for the safety reminder.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:50PM

Welcome back Cheryl.

Good to see you posting again.

Keep on keeping on. :)

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 02:54PM

Feeling your pain!
I've hit my shin more than once on that damn open dishwasher door.
Hope you are feeling whole again real soon.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 03:12PM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 03:26PM

I've got to remember this. I like to think I know if it is open or closed. I have faith!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:07PM

So Great that progress is going well!

You and I were a match for a while as I had 2 hip replacements then managed to fall ONE WHOLE STEP onto cement on my back and tried to save myself with my arm. Shattered my wrist which needed 2 plates and 9 screws to hold it together. Hells bells. it hurt!!! Doing so well now, and I applaud bone doctors who can help so magically when falling disasters occur.

And, I definitely will follow your appreciated advice on the dishwasher as I do NOT WANT more more operation for a while.
After the wrist, one knee had to be replaced. It also went well and I have the other knee to go.

But....I am waiting a while for that operation if my all my stars line up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2019 04:08PM by presleynfactsrock.

Date: February 14, 2019 05:03PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:29PM

My brother in law did the same thing a few months ago. It also broke his hip. He has had a very long slow recovery. Good advice Cheryl and so glad you're on the mend!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:29PM

What a freak accident - heal quickly Cheryl.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:32PM

Good to have you back!! Glad the healing is progressing.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 04:37PM

So sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds very painful.

I am glad you have recovered and hope you regain all your range of motion etc.

Glad you came through ok!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 06:52PM

I'm glad that you are back, Cheryl. That is good advice about the dishwasher -- I plan on following it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 07:17PM

Luckily, my dishwasher door when open is right up against the other side of cabinets. I can bruise my shin on it, but I have nowhere to go. I fall so much, I would have fallen by now by tripping over the dishwasher door. Amazing how many places I've managed to fall.

Date: February 15, 2019 01:04PM

I don't want you to ever suffer any injury if you can avoid it. I appreciate your valuable contributions here and always love to read what you write.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 02:14PM

That's true for me, but the main reason I keep the door closed is that I have a cat that loves to get inside the dishwasher. Same thing with the dryer, the door is always closed.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 09:47PM

Welcome back, Cheryl! You were missed!

I've had enough orthopedic surgeries in my life that I don't particularly want to repeat the experience. Both of my knees are artificial, and while they work very well, I don't think I want to replace anything else.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 10:47PM

I am in an eternal war with inanimate objects, Darn your dishwasher to outer darkness!

PS I hope you get a handsome young physical therapist. ;-)

Date: February 17, 2019 11:32AM

My OT is young and handsome. Does that count?

The other home care workers are efficient nice looking ladies.

Wish you could be here to make me one of your famous cups of tea. It would do me a world of good.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 14, 2019 10:55PM

I usually hand wash dishes and put them in the dish washer rack to dry, with the door open. I guess I should rethink that. :-/

Welcome back

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 07:19AM

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 09:42AM

You changed my habit of opening the door to cool the dishes before I unload it. Now I just wait a couple hours, door closed.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 10:53AM

Glad to hear that you're healing and doing better. You made me aware of a potential hazard that I never even thought of before. Thank you for the warnings.

Date: February 15, 2019 11:08AM

Accidents can happen in the freakiest of ways.

Last week I was leaving the house to go to work and it looked like a drizzly rainy morning. (It was that.) What I didn't realize was that the wet pavement was turning into freezing rain as soon as it hit the surface and what looked like wet was really black ice. I wore a regular pair of shoes (Clark shoes with good soles.) As soon as my feet touched the pavement down I went with no time to spare or pause for reflection.

My elbow braced my fall and took the impact. At first I thought it was broken. It was a nasty bruise. I'm letting it heal to see if I need to get it x-rayed since there was no protruding bones or lacerations to the skin.

Since then I've been wearing only snow boots to go outside even when it only looks wet. I learned my lesson.

I may still have a hairline fracture or worse. I don't know why I keep putting off going to the doctor to get it checked. What would they do to it anyway but tell me to let it heal? I guess the doc might put it in a sling, but I work on a computer at my job so that would slow me down.

It's if I did worse damage than a hairline fracture that I would want to know.

Posted by: Duffy(not logged in) ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 04:31PM

Cheryl,
I'm so sorry you've had to go through this! I have tried not to leave my dishwasher open. I've almost tripped over it too many times. My doctor even warned me at my last physical. She said she's had too many patients who have had mishaps with an open dishwasher door.

Glad to see your post. I hope you'll be feeling 100% recovered soon!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: February 15, 2019 09:26PM

Glad you ae on the mend, Cheryl!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 12:16AM

Shoot Cheryl-

That is a dangerous situation.
Glad you are healing.

I couldn't leave the door open - unless there was a breeze - because of Feng shui. It's dangerously low and scary.

We didn't get a dishwasher until I was in my teens and I never much cared for them. Sometimes I haven't even noticed them in the places where I've lived.

I don't like loading it or unloading it. It's not a free loader. Or a front end loader.

Date: February 16, 2019 10:51AM

The plastic tip on my shoe lace slipped into a vent hole on the side of the open door. When I took a step the tip twisted deeper into the door and I flew across the kitchen.

If the lace had been untied, the shoe might have slipped off and released me, but no such luck. The bow was double tied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 11:00AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 10:34PM

I could have used this warning a few months ago, before we got a new dishwasher. My MIL considered me abusive for not having one. Not sure how our specie made it this far.

I've never liked them, since they are wasteful and don't actually wash dishes. I open the door and get a big blast of steam in my face - apparently now we have to autoclave dishes. Now people want sterility, while more research shows our hyper-clean craziness is leading to problems.

Not only do they need a lot of water, but I watch people running water to clean them off before they put them in.

Of course, there is no going back. More people don't know how to wash dishes by hand. If they did hand washing they would only have 12 hours a day to play on their phones, instead of 12 hours, 15 minutes.

Date: February 17, 2019 11:54AM

I still prefer washing dishes by hand. Have never owned a dishwasher.. When I rented an apartment where I had one I didn't use it. Lesson learned.

;)

Posted by: Zin Again ( )
Date: February 16, 2019 11:09PM

One time I tripped over the dishwasher door, did a pirouette and landed on a steak knife, pointing up!

Did you know that more than 18,000 Americans die every year from injuries that take place in the home? Keep that dishwasher door closed, like Cheryl said!

(good job, ole girl, of keeping on keeping on)

Date: February 17, 2019 11:33AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 01:53PM

I have a manual dishwasher and it seems to work pretty well.

Date: February 17, 2019 06:18PM

LOL.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 07:52PM

I prefer the manual one too.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 17, 2019 09:28PM

My friend’s husband ended up in urgent care getting stitches yesterday after he tripped over the dishwasher door and cut his shin open.

Date: February 18, 2019 03:51PM

Or never open them in first place.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 18, 2019 11:53PM

Glad you're on the mend!

Posted by: Guy3 ( )
Date: February 19, 2019 01:38AM

Thanks Obama!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 19, 2019 12:53PM

Cheryl-----
Out of curiosity, by chance did your hip break first and then you fell?

I've heard numerous reports that elderly people's bones are brittle and very weak, and when complicated with too much weight, people break the bones and then fall.

Generally people think they fell and the fall broke the hip, when reality the bone broke first and then the person fell down.

My source of the reports is a fireman for the Lacey FD in Lacey WA. Because of the number of senior citizen housing and care homes in Lacey, Lacey is know to the fire fighters as the "Wrinkle Ranch". Fire fighters call outs is only about 5% for fires, the rest is medical and accident response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 10:20PM by tumwater.

Date: February 20, 2019 10:49AM

The hip and finger broke on impact.

Elderly? LOL That isn't a disease. How old do you think I am?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 11:52AM

I have no idea how old anybody is on this board. I've lived too long to know to never try to answer someone that asks, "How old do you think I am?".

If I was to trip over my dish washer door, I'd take a header into some cabinets and probably break my neck.

Best wishes on your recovery. I understand there have been some great advancements in the treatment of hip replacement, including having the patient up and walking within a few days and 90-95% recovery within a couple of months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 12:01PM by tumwater.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 08:48PM

Oh my, Cheryl! Glad you're recovering and have had the help you need. And thanks for the warning.

TG

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 20, 2019 09:27PM

I am truly amazed I haven't broken a hip or something else with the falls I've taken. I know I'm big boned and that may have saved me but I imagine a hip replacement with be in my future. Glad you're on the mend Cheryl.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 12:44AM

Do you have any idea how many times in the last week I've closed my dishwasher even if I am walking away just for a minute?

At least I'm being safe.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 12:05PM

I have to admit, I think of you and this post often, and I AM keeping my dishwasher door closed more often!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: February 22, 2019 03:50PM

It is only open when it needs to be. So I'm good. Thanks for the notice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.