Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 06:39PM

These people apparently recorded Mormon? ghosts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZIE2f3yL4

Why doesn't God just have the dead through technology bow their nonexistent heads and say, "Yes" at the appropriate times in the temple?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 08:20PM

Why doesn't Rusty and Wendy do a session for and behalf of everyone that has, is and will be born?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 11:46AM

OMG! Great question, Heartless!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:06PM

I've never been superstitious, never believed in ghosts, never afraid of the dark--but--I swear to God--I felt the presence of evil in the temple! Every time I was there! I don't know if it was just evil vibes, like Hedning and his wife felt at the MMM site; or live evil thoughts, lies, threats, and evil actions taking place around me; the naked touching, the creepy costumes, symbols, scurrying around changing clothes, whispering, dirty looks, having my face covered, chanting. Some of it could be good old ESP, and warnings from my gut, my physical body, that always reacted negatively in the temple. The thoughts and energy the Mormons send out are negative, full of hatred and judgments, and that can be felt by a sensitive person. Also, lies and liars give people the willies. The Mormon temple is the creepiest place I've ever been.

I've been to the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, I've hiked up Mt. Vesuvius after seeing the ruins of Pompeii. I've strolled in cemeteries in the moonlight. I have hiked alone in bear country. These experiences weren't as creepy and unpleasant as my temple experiences.

I would not be afraid of spending the night alone in the temple--as long as I'm alone, without any Mormons there. I'm sure Satan would leave me alone, as I'm one of his "followers."

(I don't believe in Satan, but I do fear evil, and evil doesn't come from "ghosts".)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 08:25PM

Like many old folks, god isn’t comfortable with technology. The magic peep stone that he gave Joe had such a crappy screen that he had to put it in a hat to be able to read it.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:17AM

or something. Because Joe got many of the words wrong and they had to be corrected later.

Makes you wonder. If the peepstone was needed to get all the words used in the first edition of the BOM, why wasn't it necessary to make the corrections for subsequent editions. All the corrections seemed to be made based on relying on human conventions for spelling, grammar and such. No peepstone needed. Weird.

The peepstone was apparently a hillbilly stone. It said things like "they was a hollerin" and later somebody corrected all the hillbillyisms. If the peepstone had legs, it probably would have found that person and beat them up for disrespecting the hillbilly stone.

Date: March 05, 2019 09:34AM

This might be incentive for me to re-read 1 Nephi. Every time Nephi quotes Lehi, I'm going to hear it in my mind using Jed Clampet's voice.

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:52PM

As someone born and raised in Appalachia, I can tell you that we'll claim our own, be they good, bad, or indifferent. But by god don't you go trying to blame that foul Joe Smith and his unedjumacated language on us real 'hillbillies'.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:03PM

My mission president was asked by a missionary who more perceptive than I was, "What happens to all the people for whom there are no records and therefore won't get their genealogy done and their names submitted for temple work?"

The MP gave the popular BS answer for things that don't neatly fit Mormonism's hole-ridden doctrines. "It'll be handled somehow in the hereafter."

So, if it can be done in the hereafter, then why not do ALL the ordinances that way? What's the BS about ordinances can only be performed in this life?

Posted by: blacksheep1 ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 07:46PM

Those are two of the questions I put to a bishop when I was a teenager. His annoyed look and snappish "You should have more faith. Pray about it" was all I got.

My mother hadn't been able to answer the questions and suggested I pray about them. I already had, but I prayed more. The 'answer' I got was to ask the bishop. His insulting non-answer brush off was one of a few that led me out the door for good.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:11PM

At least put UV and FLIR cameras in the Celestial Room and around the baptismal font.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 10:21AM

Would you be willing to sleep in there overnight, alone, with that equipment?

Not me.

Date: March 05, 2019 10:28AM

I definitely would. I have spent the night in creepier places with paranormal investigation equipment. And, no, I never found evidence of ghosts.

The only problem is if a temple recommended was required. I’d fail the interview on the first question.

Date: March 05, 2019 10:45AM

The temple people wouldn't allow psychics or mediums or ghost hunters inside those walls. It's "sacred space" so instead of trying to figure out if the spirits there are good or evil, they feign everything is well and dandy.

I've never heard of a Mormon exorcism either, although there are a few sorts who would've benefited from one.

:o)

You're a braver person than me if you'd be willing to spend a night alone inside any temple walls. I'd find them pretty creepy.

Date: March 05, 2019 11:20AM

I could try to sneak into a temple late at night, but that wouldn’t work because they’re guarded by Nephite warriors.

https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/30247391/the-nephite-warriors-excerpt-from-the-logan-temple-the-first-100-years

Date: March 05, 2019 11:25AM

How funny. They were participating in a conspiracy to obstruct justice and break the law.

Makes me wonder what the old man Roskelly was smoking in his pipe!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2019 11:27AM by Amyjo.

Date: March 05, 2019 11:57AM

The corn cob pipe made me giggle.

And did they suspend the 12th Article of Faith back then? You know the part about "obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:13PM

I think the problem is that if you use technology to consult the spirits, the Quorum of the Twelve Psychics would find themselves unemployed.

And we can't have that.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 04, 2019 09:53PM

EvPs are very interesting. I'm a believer. And these old historic sites do seem to have spiritual energy. I remember walking through the Mountain Meadows site 2 years ago. And there certainly was a sinister feeling there. That place isn't right. There was evil lurking. I'm not sure why after all these years it would still feel so strange.

There certainly is a lot of spiritual energy at Mormon temples. I don't know if what they are doing (endowments) is 100% legit or if it's made up. but the act of calling lots of dead peoples names and doing strange ancient rites with signs and tokens absolutely calls something from the other side, or some kind of energy from the other side.

Just walk past a mormon temple at night and look carefully, while they are doing the endowments. there is something going on in there that's out of the ordinary.

Date: March 05, 2019 12:24AM

When you think about the willingness of Briggy and his minions to engage in that type of deception (pretending to be injuns, so that the murders would be blamed on the local tribes) and commit that kind of violence, it makes you wonder what other schemes Briggy and the violent plyg faction got up to. I sometimes wonder if Briggy didn't secretly help arrange for Joe's demise, while publicly professing to be Joe Smith's greatest friend and most loyal disciple. Briggy never comes across as such a major figure and leader prior to Joseph Smith's death. Then suddenly after Joe, Hyrum and Sam are all dead within the space of a few months, Briggy recasts himself as the "obvious" successor.

Date: March 05, 2019 01:52AM

He could have just been unlucky. People around him kept ending up dead.

Date: March 07, 2019 08:49AM

On Dateline those are known as serial killers.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:43AM

I visited the site with my wife when we were just married young kids. When we left both of us felt relieved, like something was pressing in around us. I thought I was just feeling silly until she mentioned how evil the place felt. I had that same feeling visiting WWII war crime sites in recent years.

Posted by: Question ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 07:17AM

"Just walk past a mormon temple at night and look carefully, while they are doing the endowments. there is something going on in there that's out of the ordinary."

I'll bite. What do you mean?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 07:42AM

I'll guess.

Grown adults playing a combo game of séance and hokey pokey?

That's pretty out of the ordinary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 07:43AM by dagny.

Posted by: Question ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 07:11AM

Not really what I was meaning. We know all that.

The ritual is a given but I wouldn't exactly describe it as a seance - you know - levitating objects and asking the dead direct questions. I do know people who claim to have seen dead relatives or heard singing when the temple is shut. That never happened to me.

The one place I have found creepy at night was not the temple itself, but the temple accom. I was in the kitchen by myself late at night and didn't want to hang around. I don't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me... Didn't see any obvious ghosts but I kept thinking I saw movement in the corridor through the doorway and no, not mice/rats either. Whatever caused it, it didn't make me feel comfortable. It was low season so very few people about.

Date: March 08, 2019 05:29PM

I think LDS Chapels are some of the creepiest buildings around.

Date: March 04, 2019 11:23PM

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the temples are haunted. Too bad we can't get camera crews in there from the television series Ghost Hunters to film overnight stays in one or two of them. If I could choose which one/s it would be the Logan temple and maybe the Saint George temple. Or Salt Lake.

There is a lot of spiritual energy there - I agree with macaRomney.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 05, 2019 12:28AM

The thing I like about EVPs is that the ghosts are always considerate enough to always speak in English.

Date: March 05, 2019 12:34AM

Such a cynic. . .

Date: March 07, 2019 06:24PM

Ha! Takes one to know one . . .

Date: March 05, 2019 01:18AM

that is incorporated into most high quality modern audio-recording circuitry.

The U-T* transistor design is derived from a spectral analysis of the atypical molecular structures found in quartz formations contained within certain mineral accretions classified as iron jasper, which have been found to function as natural translation devices.

When a U-T transistor is included in modern audio-recording equipment, it translates all ghost languages into English, since English is widely known to be the default output language designed into the U-T transistor circuitry.

-----------

*U-T is an abbreviation derived from the words "Urine and Thumb-in" which refer to a process whereby radio-wave frequencies originating from the planet Uranus (pronounced yoor-rin-us) are harnessed to modulate sound waves and light waves when the holder of the iron jasper device in one hand grounds the waves by jamming the thumb of their other hand firmly up their anal cavity--a process that has been confirmed effective by numerous peer-reviewed journals and which, many believe, was pioneered by a man named Joseph Smith.

Date: March 05, 2019 01:54AM

You have to be pretty drunk to get urine on your thumb.

Date: March 05, 2019 03:20AM

That's why the thumb must always be in the designated cavity before activating the Urine component.

I'm guessing you didn't take any Urine and Thumb-in courses offered at your university.

Not only is Urine and Thumb-out counterproductive, but alcoholic beverages almost always impede the translation process. On the other hand, a doobie or two of Mary Hu Anna can facilitate the process.

Posted by: Houdunnit ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 07:18AM

Date: March 06, 2019 07:34AM

That's what I would think if they're in the native tongue of the host ghost lol.

Date: March 07, 2019 12:59AM

Any EVPs in Neanderthal language? Might be a good way to learn how Latin was pronounced.

Date: March 06, 2019 10:30AM

I'd want to know is it a good ghost or a bad ghost ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5S3MKQvMiw

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 10:38AM

I'd venture that it's because dead people are...dead.
Expired.
Ex-people.
They are no more. They have ceased to be.

(with apologies to Monty Python) :)

Date: March 06, 2019 11:14AM

"They have ceased to be."

Some of them had nice plumage...

Thank God this business of theirs is dead. Thanks Harriet and Minna!

"Egrets and other wading birds were being decimated until two crusading Boston socialites, Harriet Hemenway and her cousin, Minna Hall, set off a revolt. Their boycott of the trade would culminate in formation of the National Audubon Society and passage of the Weeks-McLean Law, also known as the Migratory Bird Act, by Congress on March 4, 1913. The law, a landmark in American conservation history, outlawed market hunting and forbade interstate transport of birds.
Harriet Lawrence Hemenway and her husband Augustus, a philanthropist who was heir to a shipping fortune, lived in a tony section of Back Bay. Hemenway, a Boston Brahmin but also something of an iconoclast (she once invited Booker T. Washington as a houseguest when Boston hotels refused him), would live to 102. A passionate amateur naturalist, she was known for setting out on birding expeditions wearing unthinkably unfashionable white sneakers."
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-two-women-ended-the-deadly-feather-trade-23187277/

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 04:50PM

What's a Hemenway?

About 120 pounds. :)

Date: March 07, 2019 06:48PM

I was going to say, For Whom the Bell Tolls.

For my money that was the best thing Hemenwey ever wrote.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 06:41PM by Lot's Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.