Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 10:26AM

Deceptive Labelilng is one of the control techniques used often and deftly by Mormons.

Consider this from a recent article on the emotions of animals.

"Researchers who study animal behavior have been methodically warned against exploring empathy as a means of understanding. Too many illuminating observations have gone unpublished because suggestions that humans share traits with other animals invites accusations of anthropomorphism.

"To avoid such charges, researchers have invented a glossary of contorted terms: Animals don't have friends but "favorite affiliation partners"; chimps don't laugh when tickled but make 'vocalized panting' sounds.

"This is not only silly but dangerous. Instead of worrying about anthropomorphizing animals, we should fear making a far worse mistake, what de Waal calls "anthropodenial."

"FenceSitter" was a great label for a long time to justify Mormon bigotry. In the end they found it more convenient to highlight all the black people in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir instead when they were forced by a kinder society to drop the Fence-sitter label.

The type of thinking illustrated by de Waal gives clarity for the reason that Mormons refuse to use the word gay and insist on "SSA Challenged" instead as a label. There isn't enough fear in the word gay. Such a warm friendly word. "Gay" does not serve the purposes of the Mormon church who need fear and loathing to accompany their view of Homosexuals. So they made their own label to reflect their agenda.

Mormons however, have raised the labeling process to an art. When they say you are fooled by Satan they sling you a compliment at the same time: the *elite* deceived by Satan.

Apologist Smith uses labels for types of apostates to calm his fears as more and more people leave Mormonism in significant numbers. This is called identifying the enemy. It gives other Mormons who are trying to justify staying a negative word to use for apostates--apostate being actually a positive word.

Apostate is actually a very positive word that evokes autogenus; thinking for yourself. By claiming someone is an "Opposing Apostate" they intend to turn using your own brain to a negative.

By adding the word "Wailing" to "Whistleblower" they intend to demean whistleblowing, which is actually a word describing bringing important facts and questionable actions of others into the light--which is a positive, yea, even a quest for justice.

"Diffident Defectors?" OMG. Laughing at this one. Diffident means shy or bashful. Apologist Smith was really digging in the bottom of the barrel for this one to make those rising above the cult look like losers.

If this kind of sanctimonious silliness is what makes Milque-toast Mormons feel better about staying, then I have a label for Apologist Smith and his illustrious ilk following him like lemming losers: Stupid Sheep.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 11:08AM

Ha! Good essay, Done!

Strangely enough, I just heard a Radiolab episode about rats being tickled, it turns out they do laugh, it is just at a higher frequency than can be heard by human ears.

Stupid sheep, I like it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 01:54PM

At the doctor w/a friend, but I’m excited to get home to my big screen and fully ingest what you’ve written here. Such amazing thinking as always, D&D !

:)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 02:16PM

free or something about being free. But if they want to call me apostate and think it is a bad thing, I wear the badge proudly as I want to be as opposite of them as I possibly can.

I've always felt SSA was an insult.

How many other words do they twist? I'm sure this board can come up with a lot of them.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 03:22PM

Mormons talk about people "suffering" from same-sex attraction (SSA). I turn it around and talk about people suffering from Mormonism.

I'm gay, and if I'm "suffering" from same-sex attraction I must be one hell of a masochist! I've never been happier. I stopped suffering when I rejected Mormonism, came out as gay, and started living my life honestly and openly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2019 03:25PM by bezoar.

Posted by: rosysam ( )
Date: March 08, 2019 01:57AM

Bezoar said,

"I'm gay, and if I'm "suffering" from same-sex attraction I must be one hell of a masochist! I've never been happier. I stopped suffering when I rejected Mormonism, came out as gay, and started living my life honestly and openly."

I can't wait to use this on silly Mormons that try to tell me SSA is a defect.

Thank you!

P.S. For some reason I seem to attract mormons that love to offer all the ways I can fix my salvation. Lately I just say, "I found my salvation, my husband of 15 years." Then I give them that dismissive wave that Miranda Priestly used in The Devil Wears Prada and say, "That's all."

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 06:35PM

SSA. Like it is an ailment. "suffering from SSA. OMG how I hate that label.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 02:51PM

Intriguing thoughts, Done & Done.

You nailed it. Mormons separate others from their own sense of humanity (which is inhumanity), as it they own heaven and earth and Christ and even God Almighty. It's that elitist, separatist attitude of Mormons which is behind the Mormon dictionary, that infuriates me! They elevate themselves above us, just like the scientists in Done & Done's essay elevate themselves above the animals. The Mormons get away with this!

Every time I read or hear the term "same-sex attraction", I get upset, and when I run across "SSA", my blood boils! In this reference to gays, the Mormons have stamped them with the implication that they are not born homosexual, but have chosen to follow the path, building on "same-sex attraction". And that's all it is, according to the Mormons--a simple choice that gays can easily reverse, should they decide to give up their evil ways.

FAITH CRISIS! Ugh! There was a poster on RFM last week, who was beating himself up for his faith crisis. There's no such thing! In reality it is: finding out the Truth, and being upset by it. What about those of us who left the evil cult, but still believe in God and Christ? We never had any crisis in that part of our faith.

Remember a while ago, when Mormons coined the term: "SHAKEN TESTIMONY SYNDROME". Did that make your blood boil? This labels the Mormon questioner with something like a disease! The cult takes no blame whatsoever, for cult or its fake scriptures, false prophets, dubious history, polygamy, lies, money-grabbing, and bullying. No, it's the questioner who has the disease of shaken-testimony syndrome, and who is at fault.

The Mormon "WARRIORS" set out to rescue these followers of Satan, by sending the young gays to boys' camps, or punishing the children of older gays, and sentencing them all to a life of abstinence. The treatment for those in a "faith crisis" is to harass and shun the sick person, until they cave in and join the flock again.

"LOVE BOMBING." What a loaded term. It is NOT about love at all, but about keeping a person paying money to the cult, and doing service callings for it. Mormons use threats and fear more than "fellowshipping". Mormons are anti unconditional love. "Bombing" refers, again, to the Mormon warrior image.

Mormons are NOT hero "Armies of Helaman", but liars and cheaters and thieves and bullies. Soul-killers.

"COURT OF LOVE" It's all about hatred and punishment.

Done & Done, I'll be thinking about this all afternoon.

Date: March 06, 2019 06:20PM

Thank you for the additional terms. "Shaken Testimony Syndrome!" Makes my whole point right there. Trying to make it seem like an mental illness rather than discovery of unsettling facts.

So I took the alliteration of the five listed categories in the OP to be direct from the article. Now I have had more time to look at the article I see those adjectives were apparently added by the OP and do not appear in the article. Still, besides being funny, I like what the OP did because I feel when Mormons use those terms for those who have left, that the adjectives are implied. And I am having too much fun with the alliteration.

Intellectual becomes a dirty word and they may as well say impulsive indignant intellectualism to drive their point home.

"You've reasoned yourself right out of the church," was said to someone I know in a nasty tone with the implication that reasoning is radical and reprehensible.

And questioning doesn't mean you are seeking truth but are quarrelsome.

If you need any positive turned to a negative for any reason, just contact your favorite apostle.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 11:28PM

“And that's all it is, according to the Mormons--a simple choice that gays can easily reverse, should they decide to give up their evil ways.”

Because science is of the Devil.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 02:46PM

I agree with you -- SSA, "same sex attraction" are trigger words for me, too. I don't think that the church's objection was with the word "gay" sounding too nice and friendly, it's that using the words "SSA" expresses their total denial that one can be homosexual, and born that way. That fact poses deep theological issues for them.

Orwellian manipulation of language, for sure.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 02:58PM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 06, 2019 10:55PM

11, 12, 13, almost 15, 15,16,17

Date: March 06, 2019 11:17PM

hahaahahha

Date: March 07, 2019 09:39AM

You are killing me. That is the funniest thing ever. An extremely obsequious thank you to you for that.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 11:08AM

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 02:38PM

It's a reference to the church essays saying Joseph married a girl that was almost 15, rather than honestly saying she was 14.

Date: March 06, 2019 11:14PM

Tithing:

I'm guessing that the very first misnomer in the Joseph Smith Translation of The American Dictionary is the term "Tithing" to replace "fix" (Smith's word) the members. --Tithing originally meant a tenth of one's increase, not 10% percent of their gross. For many struggling parents, ten percent of one's gross is about 95% of one's increase. And for poor Africans it's 100% + gold out of their teeth. And some overly righteous Mormons brag, brag! that they borrowed! money to pay their tithing. At what percent?

Righteous: One who borrows money to pay tithing.

Translated Being: They left their estate to the Mormon Church.

Scripture: A new word for stolen manuscripts.

Missionary: New word for human trafficking.

Volunteer: New word for missionary.

Volunteer: Eighteen-year-old sent to foreign land to defy its laws.

Some apologist claim that Joseph Smith added more words to the English language than did William Shakespeare... Apparently so!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 12:11AM by kathleen.

Date: March 07, 2019 09:46AM

"Eighteen-year old sent to froeign land to defy its laws."

hahaha

I love these. Am SO laughing hard. This Dictionary of the LDS is verging on being as fat as Webster's but wipes him off the map when it comes to creativity---also known as Mormon Semantic Treachery.

Date: March 09, 2019 02:54AM

Something today made me think back on your reference to Anthropodenial.

My dogs, Old Lumpy and Young Jack both get a snack after they come in from their morning perimeter check.

Jack hides his snack, then runs back, grab's Lumpy's snack, throws Lumpy's snack out the pet door, then goes back and eats the snack he had hidden for himself. It's pure mischief. He's a canine joker. He may have a criminal bent for petty crimes.

Lumpy, on the other hand is an unselfish dog with a range of mysterious yodeling sounds which I believe emanate from a dictionary in his own head. Each of these yodelings seem to correspond to a request: "Take me in the car" is different than "I want on the bed." And he actually thanks us.

For their own dog dictionary, I wonder what they have named DH and me. Good thing theirs isn't the Mormon Dictionary, otherwise they'd call us "Son of Perdition" and "She Devil."

Date: March 09, 2019 10:02AM

You are funny, She Devil, and I needed it this morning. Like, a lot.

We had a little dog years ago that would try so hard to talk. Sitting, would stare at me with head cocking from side to side and make the most expressive sounds you have ever heard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.