Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 03:37PM

Many of you may remember the Rust Coin scandal of some months back where Gaylen Rust stole about $300,000,000.00.

In the near future they are going to sell the assets of his various businesses.

They will also likely go after money he donated to various enterprises and of course the Mormon Church.

Some time back when a simular situation arose, the goverment tried to recover about $3,000,000.00 in tithing donations made from ill gotten gains. The church fought in court to keep the donations.

With potentially many times this made in tithing donations to the church, do you think the church will fight it as hard or harder?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 04:55PM

I would imagine that they really don't want a precedent of returned tithing funds to become well established.

When they are close to losing a case, they will settle and ballyhoo their superior honesty.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 07, 2019 10:42PM

I believe the Church lost the case Heartless refers to, and they returned the money. I have heard of other cases where ill-gotten money was turned over to authorities, but I don't know if it was court ordered. I believe there is some fairly specific bankruptcy law about when money that was "donated" can be retrieved to meet bankruptcy obligations.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.