Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:02PM

https://www.smh.com.au/national/conditioned-to-lying-how-mormon-sexual-questioning-is-child-abuse-20190309-p512xx.html

I hope I have posted this link correctly.

More newspaper articles exploring the problems of child worthiness interviews.

Religious child abuse is a huge issue here, especially now that we have Cardinal Pell convicted. The recent Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse went after the JWs in a big way. Royal Commissions are government funded inquiries with serious legal and investigatory powers. Religious leaders are compelled to testify and grilled mercilessly.

This is such a bad look for Mormonism, particularly in Australia where we don't have a strong tradition of respecting religious freedoms and rights.

Also The Book of Mormon musical has been playing to full houses in Sydney and Melbourne the last two years. Coming to my town, Perth, in September - advertising has started already...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:11PM

The link worked fine!

No way the Mormon church wins this argument in a world where it won't be viewed as respectful of basic human rights.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 09, 2019 11:46PM

Australians are not nearly as tolerant of religious hornswoggling. The reporters will never be bamboozled by the tripe coming out of the COB.

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:22AM

Hmm, Australia falls under the Pacific Area. Vincent Haleck is on the hot seat now as Prez of that area. Burn up the phone lines, Vince.

Fun fact: his 2nd counselor is Ian Ardern. If that name sounds familiar, it should. Ian's niece is exmo New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern. ROFL!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 03:38AM

This was an excellent article! The equality temple float is hilarious!!!

Does anyone know whether they only ask these questions if you are trying to go to the temple? Because nobody ever asked me about any of that. Was my bishop just not asking?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 12:42PM

Luck of the draw. The problem is that it’s a reckless policy. High risk for little or no benefit isn’t going to get a free pass anymore. Sam Young will eventually be able to say “told you so”.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 04:57PM

https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/working-children-checks

Amongst the many recommendations made by the Royal Commission was this one -

12. State and territory governments should amend their WWCC
(Working with Children Check) laws to:

a. define the following as child-related work:

ii. activities or services provided by religious leaders, officers or personnel of religious organisations.

Now maybe, Mormon Bishops and Branch Presidents here in Australia will think twice about conducting sexually explicit interviews with minors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 05:17PM by silvergenie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.