Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 05:03PM

Does anyone remember this tunnel, or have visited it?

As I remember it, the church used it to store its paraphanalia in this tunnel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 05:16PM

Posted by: The Sacrement Gem ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 05:44PM

I went in it as a kid on a mutual MIA outing and saw all the

microfilm drawers and some equipment but in true Mormon

embellished mo speak the told how when they got to the very

end of the tunnel by divine intervention they hit a spring to

bring freshwater to those working in the tunnel until Jebus

comes and usher in the millennials... uhh I mean the

millennium.

Oh and by the way Cottonwood canyon is full of springs in that granite and the canyon supplies a major amount of drinking water to the valley.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 06:37PM

The Sacrement Gem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... but in true Mormon embellished mo
> speak the told how when they got to the
> very end of the tunnel by divine inter-
> vention they hit a spring to bring fresh
> water to those working in the tunnel until
> Jebus comes and ushers in the millennials...
> uhh I mean the millennium.
>
> Oh and by the way Cottonwood canyon is full
> of springs in that granite and the canyon
> supplies a major amount of drinking water
> to the valley.

The last fact you listed had to be done so that the miracle of the Jesus water in the vault wouldn't take away the need for Faith. Which is exactly why Jesus doesn't let the magnificent power of the priesthood cure illnesses or stop calamities.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:18PM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:48PM

If there is a spring inside that granite tunnel it means the granite has a fault in it. It's technically not solid granite and having that moisture in there makes it a horrible place to store film and documents. Might make a good bunker to hide in though. You got a source of water.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 07:18PM

Such a colossal waste of money. It's like the guys who decided to build it didn't know that in just 40 years they wouldn't need a cold dry place to store all of their microfilm. You would think Jesus would have told them about the onset of digital storage.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:50PM

Hidden records in mountains seems to be a Mormon thing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 11:00PM

They could store gold coins there like Smaug.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 11:05PM

Yes, my precious, but Golem died in 1985.

Date: October 22, 2019 07:31AM

Russell M Nelson is very much alive.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 07:26PM

The Mormons thought God needed an upgrade to microfilm, but, yea, soon He will need another upgrade, even unto digital storage.

I have never been able to figure out why God needs records, in the first place. Isn't he omniscient, and mindful of every sparrow that falls? Isn't God the ultimate "judge" in Zion and everywhere else on the planet since the beginning of time, for all eternity?

Why does God need the Mormons at all?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 09:30PM

Dammit ! You beat me to the punch line. *LOL*

Date: March 10, 2019 11:36PM

God to Rusty: Please stop trying to help.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:55PM

God doesn't need records. The church needs records and ordinances and exclusive to the church only film flam to justify it's existence so people pay money some they can get the special card to participate in the holy flim flam and the records are so the church has a reason for the members to do the film flam.

In other words. The records give the members a reason to paint the fence and pay the church to do it and the church leaders can just lay back under the shade tree, count their money and laugh.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 10:55PM

all I heard about non-stop, as an impressionable child, was miracle after miracle. Prophecies and inspiration. Angelic visitations.

But by the time I finished my mission I realized that in 21 years I had never actually seen or witnessed anything happen in (or in relation to) the church that could clearly be attributed to divine, supernatural intervention.

No visions. No amazing revelations. No miraculous inspiration. No church-wide fast followed by the desired (and otherwise unlikely) result.

As missionaries, we were encouraged to believe the mission president was basically the equivalent of the prophet and apostle for the mission. He was supposedly getting revelations and inspiration just like the big GAs.

But all I ever witnessed was an ordinary guy making ordinary decisions for the organization he was in charge of and getting an ordinary mix of results. I couldn't see any difference in the essence of what the MP did and the essence of what a regional Pizza Hut manager would do for his/her organization.

What's worse, I saw signs of corruption and cronyism. The MP was from Utah (SLC) and several of the missionaries were from his home stake and one or two from his home ward. He was always chummy with them and promoting them quickly to all the prestigious "leader" positions that would give them something to write home about and, in turn, give their parents back home something to brag about.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they were all the best qualified anyway. But several of them were actually sub-par in key areas (language, discussion memorization, conscientiousness, people skills, etc.). Their main "leadership" attribute was often only the fact that everyone knew that they were tight with the MP.

Then, after my mission, I continued looking around and observing, and soon realized that the MP I served under wasn't unusual in terms of demonstrably lacking anything that could be reasonably characterized as revelation and divine inspiration. The whole leadership hierarchy exhibited all of the same ordinary, mundane, flawed human approaches to leadership. Cronyism, nepotism, cliques within cliques. Self-aggrandizement. Nothing inspired or inspiring.

That's why Spencer W. Kimball's personal physician gets promoted to apostle. That's why Spence's nephew gets promoted to apostle. That's why Hinckley's son gets a GA slot and GA retirement plan. That's why Joseph Fielding Smith's son-in-law is set up to take Joseph Fielding Smith's apostle position when Joseph Fielding Smith kicks the bucket. And on and on and on...

The reality of Mormon leadership and decision making is so mundane and pathetic.

It's poorly managed microfilm collections.

It's poorly constructed McTemples needing major repair work after just a couple years.

It's the major revising and deleting of elements of the temple ceremony, even though it was supposedly ALL "revealed" by God to his prophet as a complete package.

It's Heber J. Grant obsessing over the political prohibitionist movement and turning the "Word of Wisdom" into a commandment and partial monument to insanity (i.e. the rigid and absolute prohibition against coffee and tea, while making no mention of dozens of more harmful and health-destroying dietary practices).

It's Hinckley, Oaks, Tanner and Kimball all being fully bamboozled by a document forger....

But next Sunday, you can be sure that a hundred-thousand children in Mormon churches around the world will be force fed lies about miracles and visions and angelic visitations and so on.

The stories are often quite interesting, especially the stories told about the amazing feats and miracles surrounding the great prophets and apostles. Too bad nothing like that ever happens in reality in the church.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 08:00AM

^^^ +100 ^^^

Date: October 22, 2019 08:07AM

Jesus Hut. I like it.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 04:36PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> That's why
> Hinckley's son gets a GA slot and GA retirement
> plan.

I remember Hinckley getting up at that General Conference to defend his (clear) nepotism by telling everyone it wasn't nepotism, he was just the best gosh-darn guy to promote.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: March 10, 2019 09:18PM

Those tunnels, when under construction served our Bluegrass band very well. Stellar recordings came out of there.

One disc, called "The Respectable Hottentots at Rome", received impressive reviews.

Actually, that release was worth more than all the obsolete rolls of film now stored in there at great expense.

The Church does not want you traipsing through there now with your cotton fiber clothes.

The Prophet forgot to tell them back then that records of dead folk could be stored as ones and zeros forever downtown.

Another river down which your tithing flows.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:21PM

Back when Russia was our enemy, not our enabler of autocratic oligarchs.

Date: March 16, 2019 10:22PM

Date: March 17, 2019 12:52AM

Russia doesn’t seem to like the church’s autocratic oligarchs.

Date: March 11, 2019 04:42AM

They called them "seer stones" of course because seering supposedly sounds more respectable than peeping.

Do you realize that if President Thomas S. Monson had ever used one of the peepstones that he could then have legitimately been called a "Peeping Tom"?

When he doubted the legitimacy of the WoW interpretation that prohibited the drinking of cola beverages, he was known as a "doubting Thomas"...but I digress.

My guess is that most of what's in the vault now is useless junk.

The Second Coming didn't happen. Dust happened.

There may be some really embarrassing journals, books and diaries in there, but probably nothing that an enterprising fraudster like Mark Hoffman couldn't fabricate.

Maybe some of the GAs keep contraband in there.

Funny how the Church of Jesus has to keep so many secrets. I thought Jesus was supposed to be all about truth, light and full disclosure.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 09:20PM

Jesus fed the multitudes...for free!

Okay, sure it was maybe just a one time only deal, but still!

What a horrid example to set for a modern thinking corporation! But then maybe everybody (HA! I typed everybooby!!!) is invited to Rusty's B-day party and there will be Twinkie-Cake for all the multitudes!

Date: March 16, 2019 11:13PM

A friend of mine was a Phd student that worked in the Church Historian's office in the early 1990s. He told me about all kinds of occult stuff that Joseph Smith Collected and magic silk hankies used as condoms by certain apostles in liasons with married sisters. Lots of letters and other stuff that are very damming to the "official church history" story. Manuscripts of book of mormon chapters for instance not written by JS or OC.

Date: March 17, 2019 12:49AM

get in there and photograph all of that stuff.

I suspect that a lot of damning evidence will never see the light of day. The leaders would probably prefer to incinerate it all.

I wonder if any of the recent top leaders have used their position to go through and inspect all of the artifacts that they have in secret storage.

Posted by: Anon means no name ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 08:22PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> get in there and photograph all of that stuff.
>
> I suspect that a lot of damning evidence will
> never see the light of day. The leaders would
> probably prefer to incinerate it all.
>
> I wonder if any of the recent top leaders have
> used their position to go through and inspect all
> of the artifacts that they have in secret storage.

It begs the question of why they haven't in some cases.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 12:35PM

That's what worries me: I've read too many stories of people donating their precious pioneer family journals to TSCC on the promise that they could have access to them and then...pfffft! "Oh, we don't have that." or "I'm sorry, they are stored in our secure vault with no public access."

Some are convinced that their family history containing proof of BY or JS conniving went down the Memory Hole.

Date: March 16, 2019 07:23PM

My thanks to all who provided information for the rest of us.

Likewise, I hope he has found something else he likes to do.

And someone who can reach him, please let him know that we all miss him and his sharp comments.

Date: March 16, 2019 07:32PM

Somewhat off topic:

Speaking of 'peeping', When I was in my very early teens,
my sister and I slept in the same bedroom, and shared the same bed.

Well, one night I spotted a 'peeping tom' peeping into our bedroom window. In that a bathroom existed between our room and my parents', I got on my knees and crawled into my parents' bedroom to alert my dad.

He jumped out of bed and grabbed a baseball bat, but by then the jig was up for the creep--who had rapidly disappeared.

Date: March 17, 2019 06:07AM

Rusty’s mountain lair.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 10:17AM

Great film title!

I volunteer to write the screenplay, who will depict Russ? I suggest either Bill Murray! For Wendy, how abput Stormy Daniels?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 12:18PM

I was able to go in the Granite Mountain Vault years ago, and it is quite large inside. IMO, one of the reasons it's so big inside is that maybe the GA's were planning to use it as a bomb shelter or if there were to be some big natural disaster. I wouldn't want to stay in it though, because granite emits Radon gas. A "co-worker" I knew lived at the mouth of the canyon and his house was built on top of granite. He died of lung cancer and it was suspected that the cause of the cancer was from the Radon. The Salt Lake Temple is built with that same granite from that area.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 21, 2019 10:00PM

I was told, about 50 years ago, that the springs regulated the temperature for ideal storage of all the records and artifacts of the church.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 08:37AM

Having a secure place to store documents is a good idea. Yes we marvel at the wonders of digital information but our data is stored in the cloud which is actually servers held in certain large cities in America. What if we were to have globalization of the cloud and our data was held in China or North Korea?

If there was some kind of disaster or a vindictive Dictator were to rise to power our medical records would go away, etc.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 12:37PM

Fecal Time Bomb--great name for a punk band.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 26, 2019 02:13PM

We're WRONG I tell you;

sure, we can poo-pah Cottonwood Canyon & the vault, (oversized now thanks to computers & copiers)

it's not just one of the ChurchCo miracles that tell us 'the church is true'(TM), it's the Total Package, it's the SYNGERISTICS of the deal!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.