Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 12:21AM

The local PBS station just had a fund-raising program centered around Mr. Rogers, it was my hands-down choice over anything else.

Fred was ordained a Presbyterian Minister in 1963 after graduating from Pittsburgh Seminary, but he NEVER had to mention his faith-beliefs, he didn't want any viewers to feel excluded.

The roots of his program began while he was working for a station in Canada.

It's been widely reported that his motivation was recognizing how bad commercial television was (for children) but focused on developing its potential instead...

Mr. Rogers received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from W. Bush (2002) and 40 honorary degrees, also awarded a Peabody Award. He was inducted into the National Television Hall of Fame.

With all the (claimed) talent good examples / 'works' that ChurchCo has....

Where's the ChurchCo Mr. Rogers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 12:23AM by GNPE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 12:24AM

I was the mother of a young son when "Mr. Rogers" was on TV. I tried to get son interested in the program, but son had ADD, and would say "There's too much talking."

Personally, I thought Fred Rogers was a wonderful guy. Sensitive, empathetic, articulate. Who wouldn't want a role model like that for their child? (Well, my son, apparently, but he has turned out to be a good guy anyway.)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 04:47AM

I played his songs every day after lunch to help the kiddies relax. I was sad when he died and was sad at how many demeaned him unfairly while he was alive.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 11, 2019 07:19AM

The man was a mensch in every sense of the word.

I was in junior high when his career on PBS was getting its start. So instead of growing up with him, I babysat children who did.

And then later my own.

He lived the walk, without pretense. That was his charm. He defined humility. He was a good role model for children and adults.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 01:47AM

I use to watch that program a lot as a kid. But I always wondered about that song. "You can be my neighbor," because it's so controversial. No one really believes it. Of course people move to areas where they don't have to associate with certain kinds. Of course some of our neighbors it would be wise to just leave them alone. There are real dangers in the world. But the song and program teaches everyone is essentially the same. all beliefs are the same. Everyone is good... multiculturalism.

Which I don't believe in.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:13AM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use to watch that program a lot as a kid. But I
> always wondered about that song. "You can be my
> neighbor," because it's so controversial. No one
> really believes it.

That's close, but doesn't the song actually go, "Won't you be my neighbor?" as in "Could you be mine, would you be mine, won't you be my neighbor? Won't you please, won't you please, please won't you be my neighbor?" ?

I play both that one and "It's Such a Good Feeling," which was at the end of the show, on the piano and sing them with my preschool-aged children.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 09:28AM

I should have said, that few actually believe it rather than no one believes it ("won't you be my neighbor") The world would be a kinder place if more followed that sentiment.

There is no doubt that Fred Rogers was a very good man. But most people aren't good.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 08:23PM

I think Rogers' point was that we don't have to teach children the ugliness of life immediately. Kids need to feel safe and loved; if they don't get that early in life, they become part of the problem later.

Rogers would not have urged children to hop into strangers' cars or wander into dangerous neighborhoods. He just wanted them to know that they are good as they are.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:18AM

Why hasn't Mormonism developed someone of similar values & appeal?

also: were (are) the Osmonds the best / most visible PR group/personality exposure?

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 08:20PM

My kids grew up with him. Once, when talking with our then bishop's wife, she mentioned how she didn't like him at all.
Mormonism was incompatible with his philosophy, perhaps?

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 04:51PM

Fred didn't preach his faith, he lived it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.