Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 01:36PM

Do missionaries have set discussions still?

Do they have visual aids?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 01:45PM

they have a topical structure they learn and then use their own words otherwise. and so we see people called more often to their native language missions because of their own words thing.

they have church videos on their ipads.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:02PM

¿ ~ who remembers the old "flannel board" discussions ~ ? ~

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 02:08PM

Reluctantly, I admit I do; many used filmstrips, some had cassette players for aids.

In general, the flannel boards with characters were the only items carried while tracting.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 09:54PM

Good morning, (afternoon) Mr. Brown, it’s a pleasure to be here. We’re from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. With which church are you most familiar?....Answer....Yes, there are certainly a great many churches in the world today. Why do you think there are so many churches?....answer....Ok, that’s enough.

Yes, I had a flannel board. When it was all rolled up and in its case it came in real handy when riding your bike and getting attacked by a dog.

Date: March 12, 2019 09:56PM

From the 60’s.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 10:05PM

>
> Yes, I had a flannel board.
>

The Great and Powerful Flanalografo!! Para los cuates que hicieron su servicio en lugares donde el idioma de Dios Padre y Hijo era soberano. Arriba los de abajo! No sean cabrones, hijos de su pu....!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 02:31PM

Me callo y no puderia arribame!

Date: March 13, 2019 09:57PM

language butchery!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 12:44PM

Esta bien. No se como puderia responder porque mi Espanol esta demasiado mal.

Date: March 14, 2019 12:56PM

S.O.C.K.S tener brio!!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:01AM

I think they were something of an improvement over the flannel boards. It was just a collection of pictures and illustrations indexed to the discussions. Basically an analog version of a powerpoint presentation.

We also had filmstrips that could be projected on a wall and they would match up with an audio tape. The "Plan of Salvation" was one of those. It had scenes from that creepy Plan of Salvation movie (the one with the clocks and clowns). Instead of showing the movie, we just played the audio and every time there was a "beep" sound, we advanced the projected image to the next frame.

At the time, I was under the impression that these things had some kind of Holy Ghost magic. In other words, just like the Book of Mormon, all we had to do was expose the "investigators" to these inspired materials and if they were good people, the Holy Ghost would give them all the right feels so that they would want to join the church.

By the time I finished my mission, I realized that there was no Holy Ghost magic. The Book of Mormon was just as pathetic as it seemed when I read it. The hokey illustrations and filmstrips were just as hokey as they seemed to be. The Holy Ghost wasn't bridging the gap for anyone but people prone to delusion and hypnotic suggestion.

Now, when I look back on it all, I feel extremely embarrassed. I don't regret going to a foreign country and learning a foreign language. But I regret not using that time doing more reasonable things.

Date: March 13, 2019 01:42PM

Yeah but you can’t whack an attacking dog with a flip chart when riding a bike home at night.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:38PM

ziller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ¿ ~ who remembers the old "flannel board"
> discussions ~ ? ~

And not one character of a magic rock in a hat.

Gold plates and book of mormon, yes. No magic rock & hat.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 03:15PM

I could probably spit out both first and second (rainbow era) discussions if I had to. I shutter to think of hundreds of times I taught those lessons. That crap was so ingrained over a two year period. I bet others could do it as well if they had to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2019 03:16PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 12, 2019 03:30PM

I had them memorized and spent the entire mission looking for "Mr. Brown".

Date: March 13, 2019 12:02AM

because that was one of the most common surnames.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 01:22AM

I, too, remember the flannel board. I think I could still give the first lesson if given the cutouts to use. One of our missionaries developed a slide show with pictures of ancient American sites and related it to some Book of Mormon claims. I think our mission president was a little lukewarm about it, but the missionary was in demand for his presentation.

I never did read the Book of Mormon all the way through. When I got to II Nephi I got a lot of what we now would call cognitive dissonance so I quit. I found I could function pretty well as a missionary and later without reading the scriptures except for proof texts.

Date: March 13, 2019 02:02AM

to do group readings of something like 10 pages (rounded up to the end of whatever chapter came last) of the scriptures everyday. It was a good way to make sure that everyone could say that they read every page of every one of the "standard works" at least once.

I had already read the BoM and NT cover to cover before my mission. The OT and the DC/PogP I had only read selected parts.

It really was an eye-opener to read every verse. And it was not faith-promoting. LOL. I remember how awkward it was when we were in the group taking turns reading things like the parts in Deuteronomy about taking women as sex slaves, killing everyone else and all that fun stuff. I also remember how we tried to find something of value in the Devil Handshake Test revelation (D&C 129).

That mission reading program really helped me realize for the first time how much complete garbage is in the "scriptures". I could easily get more edification and uplift from the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings (and the battle scenarios were 100 times better).

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 11:31PM

Loved the paragraph about reading the scriptures....sex slaves...haha!! And of course, don't forget the secret handshake! I never could remember exactly what it was and always got it goofed up! So, a demon appears and you offer to shake its hand. If you feel it....shit, I still can't get it straight!

Posted by: Fell out ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 09:39PM

"Brother brown wears a frown when we're not around"

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 02:17PM

Back in my day we sure as hell did (early 70s). The whole thing was seen as ground breaking and was pioneered by LeGrand Richards, the last GA who actually knew how to deliver a sermon. But I digress, as usual.

In non-English languages it was an easy way to spew the story without necessarily understanding the grammar or even what the hell you were saying.

Most of the LTM (MTC) time was spent memorizing the discussions, (say after the first 2 or 3 weeks which were grammar and vocabulary). From the memorization, I will admit, you did pick up an additional fair amount of grammar and vocabulary.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.