Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mozare ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 03:42AM

What do you guys think of this?

Could someome review this?

I posted this earlier, and it got deleted for some reason.

[Edited by moderator to delete link.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 03:52AM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 03:51AM

I am a moderator here, and I deleted your post because it appeared to me to be LDS apologetics, which is not allowed by the rules of this board.

My suggestion is to email: concrete.zipper@gmail.com to obtain permission to post this.

In the meantime, I am deleting the link to the video.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 03:59AM

Tevai, now that you have witnessed the video I expect to see you in Relief Society.

Date: March 13, 2019 04:03AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tevai, now that you have witnessed the video I
> expect to see you in Relief Society.

:D

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 07:46PM

And remember to bring lots of baked goodies for the brethren relief society overlords.

Date: March 13, 2019 03:57AM

Oh Lord, mine eyes have been opened.

The Egyptian scrolls were a fraudulent imitation crafted by Satan. And because they were an imitation, there must have been a genuine original. Joseph Smith looked at the forgery and, being a prophet and all, saw through to the truth underneath!

In other words, the fact that the BoA is a fake translation proves that it is true!

Thank you, mozare. I'm headed back to Relief Society forthwith!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 03:57AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 13, 2019 04:00AM

Where should I post it then?

Date: March 13, 2019 04:03AM

Perhaps on a pro-Mormon bulletin board.

Date: March 13, 2019 04:06AM

Where can I find that?

Date: March 13, 2019 04:09AM

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 04:20AM

Professional Egyptologists, you know the guys who actually study this stuff for a living, generally agree that the BoA is “an impudent fraud”. Viewing the BoM through the same scientific lens leads one to the same conclusion about the BoM. But hey, don’t let that shake your confidence in your religion.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 06:08AM

The maker of the video isn't a typical mopologist. He's more in the category of a nutcase. He claims that the dead apostle Paul told him about this method to translate the Book of Abraham. He also claims he foretold the Oklahoma City bombing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 06:11AM

So, a Mormon scholar?

Date: March 13, 2019 06:23AM

LOL. He's the kind that Fairmormon doesn't support. Remember how apologists went after Rod Meldrum? This guy is for the Book of Abraham what Meldrum is for Book of Mormon geography. Those who call themselves Mormon scholars don't want anything to do with these kind of Mormons. Funny how the members of the church can pick and choose among a plethora of contradicting claims by members, all the while the apostles and prophet remain silent on these matters. The official revelations from the top is to tell members that calling themselves Mormons is a victory for Satan, etc.

Date: March 13, 2019 06:42AM

Wasn't the original Papyri discovered? And didn'they find out that he Joseph added things that weren't in the Papyri like the knife and the human head?

Date: March 13, 2019 06:53AM

Yes. The original papyri is devastating to the Book of Abraham. Mormons have dealt with it in a few ways. One method has been to claim that there was more but it is lost, and the Book of Abraham came from that allegedly lost portion. That is a problem though because of facsimile 1. Another method is to claim that the actual papyrus was just an object that inspired Joseph Smith and the Book of Abraham really didn't have anything to do with the papyri that was found. That is a problem because of what Joseph Smith and others said at the time. This video you are talking about is just another attempt to try to explain the Book of Abraham in the face of the facts and the papyri.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 11:49AM

The link is in the lower left corner; the entire web page consists of links to discussions of the subject.

http://mit.irr.org/category/book-of-abraham

Years ago, a group of us met up in Happy Valley to preview the video when it first came out; there were some LDS apologists, possibly representing FAIR, and one of them criticized the video for being one-sided, noting that Hugh Nibley wasn't included. Honest, Lamanite, here's what he said:

Q: When you think of physics, who do you think of? Einstein, right?

Q: And when you think of languages, Who do you think of?

Seriously, he then said, "Nibley, right?"

The handout (which I have a copy of somewhere) was really sanctimonious, criticizing Ritner and the other scholars featured. Here's what was said:

"We would've thought an attack on the sacred beliefs of another religion would've been beneath the dignity of such individuals."

Date: March 13, 2019 05:26PM

IRR is pretty indeph, and has actual professional opinions from Egyptologists.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:37PM

That IRR video on the BoA was one of the first things I saw that gave me the oh Shiz feeling that it all really might not be true. I realized that the group sponsoring it were evangelical group, so I went to the library and of course found a ton of credible information backing up the main points from this video and other stuff on the website.

That site really got the ball rolling for me back in '04.

Date: March 13, 2019 05:15PM

What video was it that was backed up by Librarian information?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 07:50PM

Leave the Liberians out of this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.