Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:37PM

Ok, I was just reading the paper this morning with my coffee. As I'm reading the article about the big photo op in Rome with the top 15 and their wives, I laughed out loud at the final sentence in the article. I think it was meant as a little dig....see what you think:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/03/11/photo-captures-history/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:42PM

Rather telling, isn't it?

Posted by: 4evergone ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 08:01PM

Fellow apostle Neil L. Andersen lauded Nelson’s leadership.

“There could not be a more gracious, kind, thoughtful man," he said. "What a beautiful time in the history of the church to have a man ... skilled in the intellect and given such beautiful spiritual gifts — almost as if he has one foot in another world and one foot in this world.”

was he really thinking nelson has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel? that's what we all think.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:44PM

It must be difficult for so many women who strive for upper-class respectability and wealth to pose in front of a space ship that might as well be made of plastic.

At some point the cultic nature of the LDS church, likewise plastic in its values and doctrine, becomes painfully clear.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 12:50PM

Interesting that instead of the usual left to right when identifying those in the photo they go from right to make Wendy first. I'm sure going left to right would have been nearly as big of a faux pas as Bednar's wife starting to stand before he did. It's not the the DN that kisses Mormon ass.

The photo should be titled "Sister Wives Lite."

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 01:09PM

"almost as if he has one foot in another world and one foot in this world.”

Anderson really knows how to lay it on thick. I've listened over the years and have wondered at times if some of these statements could be for real? But yes that's how they get elevated, so it's the strategy. It's a quorum of Beta Males.

And then there is the really big-big Danish Jesus so big that he doesn't quite fit in the room. That just isn't quite the right fit. Isn't there an Italian equivalent, maybe Zeus or Dianna?

Who's to say there aint some truth to the ancient pagan gods who are the gods of men?

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 01:38PM

A small dig ...

Reader "TomMars" has an amusing, back-flipping, apologist's comment to this article (truncated):

"The significance of this event depends upon the truth or error of the Latter-day Saint position (that position being that the same organization, authority, and doctrines that existed in the primitive Christian Church were lost with the death of the original apostles and the meddling of later Roman emperors and corrupt priests, and then restored in the 1830s by God in preparation for the Second Coming of Jesus Christ). If true, the temple in Rome represents a symbolic triumph by apostles and saints over what was once one of their greatest obstacles and foes--Rome. If the Latter-day Saint position is in error, then it still represents the growing international power and presence of the faith in a key city and a clear declaration of intent to the world for the future. The event does matter. Despite criticisms and attacks this faith is not simply going to go away and does not see itself as being in retreat..."

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 01:46PM

"...does not see itself as being in retreat."

Advancing/retreating: what that Hell does that have to do with authentic spirituality? Nada. It's all about pride - not a Christian value, as I recall.

This little sect has a decade or less to reverse its declining growth rates, or it will be in stagnation, from which it will never emerge. I don't think the trend _is_ reversible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2019 02:27PM by 3X.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:30PM

The photo of the wives, all of them wearing ankle-length or lower-calf black skirts, makes it look damned culty.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 02:13AM

Every once in a while I'm tempted to tell a lie, such as to claim that the Church has some high ranking female officials. But then I'm reminded that I need to give the "Honest TB[long]" answer so I have to tell the truth. There are no high-ranking female church officers. Me and my fellow apologists can't try to sugar coat this. The women are all below in rank the holy 11yo boys that now pass the sacrament. But none of us question this because we have the beloved Correlation program so its all glorious to us.

Posted by: Bradrdh ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 05:43AM

...this nauseates me.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:33AM

Hilarious that the wives feel the need (pressure?) to line up in order of their husbands' seniority in the Q12.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 03:26PM

Monday’s release noted that this is the first group photo taken of all 15 top Latter-day Saint leaders in two decades.

-So in 20 years these bozos can't be bothered to take a group photo?

That's one thing that I immediately picked up on when I first came to RFM a few years ago. That while the church leaders work as an organization, they are not friends. They have disagreements and have differing opinions as how the church should be operated.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 03:51PM

Of the wives, I wonder which one of them is the most truly happy (and not just happy with her position in life.)

One thing that I've noticed in several photos is that Wendy Nelson has an incredibly stiff upper body. You can see the stiffness in her chest, her shoulders (which often look raised,) her upper arms, and her neck. It makes her look perpetually uncomfortable, like she has a steel rod shoved up her spine. Contrast her stiff pose with that of Patricia Holland, who looks very relaxed in this photo, or any of the other women, who also look fine.

I also think the overly long skirts on many of the woman look dowdy. Kristen Oaks has a relatively shorter skirt, and she looks fashionable and professional. Mary Cook and Rosana Soares look good as well. There might be a couple of the others on the left side -- it's hard to tell from the photo. Katherine Christofferson can pull off a longer skirt, as she's tall, but the other women can't.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 11:11AM

I feel sorry for the women who are overweight in this picture. Can you imagine being around the egos of someone like Wendy? (I have room to talk--I'm not pointing fingers. I was extremely thin when I was young and then got quite overweight after my ex started cheating on me. I've lost a lot of it, but not all of it. I just know how you are treated in society, let alone mormonism if you are overweight.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2019 11:14AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.