Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 09:11PM

They couldn't even find a local to be the president of the Rome temple:
https://www.lds.org/church/news/first-presidency-announces-2018-temple-presidents-for-italy-democratic-republic-of-the-congo-and-more?lang=eng
Well, his surname sounds Italian, so I guess that is good enough!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pompous Windbag ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 09:30PM

One of the new temple presidents is a former Director for Temporal Affairs.

Too bad this has nothing to do with science fiction. One day soon I will need to get my Temporal Affairs in order!

Curious, I asked of Google:

"An LDS Director for Temporal Affairs oversees the humanitarian, welfare, disaster relief, construction, finance and other similar work of the Church in a region of the world."

Sounds like a very full plate. I wonder how big a check he can write on his own?

And then there was a reference to this: "Bro. Xxxxxy will soon be Director for Temporal Affair for the Pacific Area; he is currently the Managing Director of Welfare Services and Humanitarian Services and is also serving as President of Latter-day Saint Charities and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of LDS Family Services.

That's a lot of cool titles! The church sounds like it's totally on top of handing stuff out for free.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 09:47PM

He was the former MP for the Rome Mission, so that makes some sense.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 09:54PM

I kinda formed the opinion a few years ago that being called to be a mission president was like being told, "Hey, you're not good enough to make it to the big leagues, but here's a nice cushy job to hold you until you can slide into your coffin."

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 11:39PM

rocomop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I kinda formed the opinion a few years ago that
> being called to be a mission president was like
> being told, "Hey, you're not good enough to make
> it to the big leagues, but here's a nice cushy job
> to hold you until you can slide into your coffin."

Ha!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:31AM

<snort>

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 10:02PM

True, but that doesn't change the fact that he is an American, born in San Francisco and attended Stanford University. What does it say that the Church in Italy still needs American men to lead its missions and now its temples? Hardly a sign of member strength, IMHO.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 13, 2019 10:19PM

Actually, a sign of member weakness. This is clearly a provincial religion, trying to be something more. They couldn't find someone from Europe, let alone Italy to head up the temple. But given that, I don't fault them for at least going with the guy they picked to be the MP there.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 03:49AM

Haha! That temple is about as Italian as the Olive Garden is. Sure it's got some nice Italian marble and some nice Venetian chandeliers but a German contractor built it with money from Utah.

What you have is a Mormon Epcot Center with an Italian theme. It's Nelsonland. Much like the current Nauvoo was Hinckleyland. It's a Mormon theme park along with corporate pavilions full of corporate propaganda.

It's all about making the kids back home in the states think the church is more relevant to the world than it is. Fasten your seat belts and keep your hand and arms inside at all times. Russell M Nelson is in the driver's seat and he's giving everyone a big ride.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 04:19AM

behind his back.

His wife's a Metcalfe. I wonder if she's related to Brent Metcalfe.

What is a metcalfe anyway. Is it a baby cow that sings opera?

Or is it a baby cow that takes trips on the subway?

Never could find out for sure.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:32AM

"What is a metcalfe anyway. Is it a baby cow that sings opera?"

(chuckle)

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:14AM

Wow! Shocking news (sarcasm alert!).

Who would have thunk it! ;)

-Sarcastic Dennis

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 01:08PM

From what I understand, he was generally well liked as the mission president. His Italian is excellent since he was a missionary in Italy and has a degree from Stanford in Italian. He's a career Mormon employee, never had a job outside of LDS inc. It seems like his whole life he has been preparing for this.

He's another example of a relatively smart Mormon who can't get his head out of his Mormon superior's ass long enough to realize that he believes in a pile of hot shit.

So he's perfect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.