Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 01:09PM

I saw this obituary yesterday for a Utah soldier whose remains were finally identified in 2016 from a plane crash in Germany in 1945. His remaining family is finally able to have a memorial service on 3/21.

I have a vague memory of knowing a relative of his, maybe a nephew back in my days in the Volkswagen business, but I couldn't be sure now what the exact relationship was.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/deseretnews/obituary.aspx?n=lynn-wilson-hadfield&pid=191751451&fhid=19570

This obit says that more information is available on the Larkin Mortuary website but I don't see any links as of today.

There is some more information from FindAGrave.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/142457684/lynn-wilson-hadfield

I imagine his family is feeling grateful for some closure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 01:40PM

Cool story;

"This obit says that more information is available on the Larkin Mortuary website but I don't see any links as of today."

There's a large Larkin mortuary, near my home that I drive near almost daily. There's another one in Riverton, by my friends home. If it doesn't pop up, online, in a few days, I could stop by and inquire for you.

Posted by: Anon4This ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 01:41PM

From another site (https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=116806):

Lynn Wilson Hadfield was born on October 23, 1918. According to our records, Utah was Hadfield's home or enlistment state. Furthermore, we have Salt Lake City listed as the city and Salt Lake County included within the archival record.

SERVICE DETAILS
Lynn Wilson Hadfield had enlisted in the Army Air Forces. Served during World War II. Hadfield had the rank of Second Lieutenant. Occupation or specialty was Pilot. Service number was O-818862. Served with 409th Bomber Group, Light, 642nd Bomber Squadron.

CASUALTY CIRCUMSTANCES
Hadfield was reported missing and ultimately declared dead on March 21, 1945. Recorded circumstances attributed to: "Missing in action or lost at sea". Incident location: Hulsten-Reken, Germany.

REMEMBERED and MEMORIALS
Lynn Wilson Hadfield is buried or memorialized at Tablets of the Missing at Netherlands American Cemetery, Margraten, Netherlands. This is an American Battle Monuments Commission location.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2nd Lt. Lynn Hadfield graduated from Granite High School and attended Sacramento Jr. College and the University of Utah. He was married to Betty J Taylor Hadfield and they had a son and daughter, Kent and Mary. He enlisted in the US Air Corps at Salt Lake City, Utah on December 22, 1942.

He was serving on the crew of a Douglas A-26 Invader #43-22353 during a mission to Dulmen, Germany. Their aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire and the three crew members went missing.

On December 13, 2018, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) announced that Lynn Wilson Hadfield had been accounted for.

The son, Kent: Obituary: Kent Taylor Hadfield
Published: January 23, 2005 12:00 am

Kent Taylor Hadfield 8/23/1944 ~ 1/17/2005 Kent Taylor Hadfield died suddenly on January, 17, 2005. He was born August 23, 1944 in Salt Lake City to Betty J. Hadfield and Lynn W. Hadfield. He is survived by his wife, Debra; son Edgar Lynn Hadfield; stepdaughter, Becky (Jeff) Mellor; stepsons, Shane (Betty) Chapman and Troy (Suzie) Chapman; sisters, Mary Ann (Ron), Joy (Jeff), Jeannie (Don); brothers, Barry (Debbie), Roger (Laura) and grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents; first wife, Dixie; daughter, Jessica "Brandy" and second wife, Louise. Graveside services will be held Monday, January 24th, 11:00 a.m. at Redwood Memorial Cemetery, 6500 S. Redwood Road. Kent will be lovingly missed by his family and many friends. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Kent's family.

Regarding the daughter, Mary: nothing, other than she was probably the Mary Ann, married to Ron, with no surname provided.

Regarding the Lt.'s surviving spouse, Betty, nothing except:
Name: Betty Jean Taylor Hadfield
Spouse: Dayne Rogers Marshall
which I believe indicates that she remarried, and then passed away If someone with an Ancestry(dot)com membership wants to pursue it further, that's where to start.

...what a way to pass the time, here in the home.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 02:24PM

Thanks for the new information. I love reading the obituaries and got the interest from my mom. I've not been able to pass my interest along to my 3 kids. A few months ago, I was telling my adult daughter about someone who died, that she had known (a YW advisor when she was that age).

Her husband was in the room and he looked at me and said, "You read obituaries just for the fun of it? I've never known anyone who does that".

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 12:10AM

My mom does that too. When I wrinkle my nose at her she says "Just checking I'm not in there".

She finds the local ones especially interesting as she worked at the local library for many years and knew many families and all their kids and grandkids. Now when shopping in town she runs into adults who still remember her from their school days. They tell her how much they enjoyed the books she would help them find. (A pretty good legacy, I'd say).

Mom thinks she needs to keep track of who's still alive, or something.

So I started to peek myself and some life stories, in a few paragraphs, are indeed interesting. Even people of no special reknown but important to their families and friends, and loved. Heartwarming.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.