Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 03:09PM

There is a good amount of information about Joseph Smith and his conning ways. In fact, a whole chapter is devoted to him and the church. Kurt Andersen really cracked me up and made me feel vindicated in my own conclusions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 03:46PM

It sounds like a good read. Am tempted to listen to it on audio.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 04:39PM

Some excerpts readings by Kurt Andersen himself @ Boston College in 2018. He's an excellent reader, is not boring one iota. He only mentions Mormonism early on in his readings. Spends more time on the Puritans and their move to America. He describes them as: Magical thinkers, readers & writers. Doers & shakers. Crazed *and* pragmatic. Peculiar hybrid ... a peculiar people who accepted the Reformation without the Renaissance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Ed-t3AKLI

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 09:25PM

I just found a copy of it at my local library that I was able to download and read on my Kindle. I already have 2 books ahead of it so I hope I can get to it before it's due back.

I've always enjoyed his radio show on NPR, Studio 360.

Posted by: Jimi Paine ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 09:34AM

“Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire (A 500-Year History)” is perhaps the single most empowering book I have ever read as respects the impartment of a deep understanding of American history and of how we have arrived at the situation we are now facing today. It is a complete pleasure to read although you won’t know whether to laugh or cry. Like the rest of the book, the chapter on Mormonism (“The All-American Fan Fiction of Joseph Smith, Prophet”) is pure gold.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/how-america-lost-its-mind/534231/

https://slate.com/health-and-science/2018/01/oprah-winfrey-helped-create-our-irrational-pseudoscientific-american-fantasyland.html

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 02:44PM

This sounds great. I just ordered it on Kindle. I have turned into such a Kindle junkie!!

Posted by: Jimi Paine ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 04:09PM

I actually listened to the audiobook version which is narrated by the author himself. I still don’t own a Kindle but I’ll eventually have to get with the times & pick one up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.