Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 04:07PM

I heard on KUTV that the Mormon Leader, their prophet has a birthday.

Not a big deal, everyone has one.

So, he's throwing a big bash so that everyone in the Mormon church can be expected to celebrate it?

Is that a power trip?

Is this his doing or someone else's.

Since I live in the Morridor do they expect me as a Never-Mo to be impressed by this?

Do they even realize what this kind of sounds like to those who are not married to the celebrity status of their Prophet?

I might see this the wrong way, and I'm trying to be very polite here so I don't offend those who are ex-Mormons and such...

But I really think this does not paint a very complimentary picture.

Is this something that happens every year for every prophet that has been or is this something specific to this Mormon Prophet?

KUTV's webpage (not sure if we can post links) has a link to an article that says that this is a regular occurance. I had not heard of this before now. Do they celebrate their prophet's birthday every year?

If they do, I guess it's not as odd as it sounded at first to me. It is a strange tradition in some ways I suppose if it actually happens every year.

Why his and not Joseph Smiths, Brigham Youngs, George Washington, or others? (or do they?)

I'm wondering if this is his idea or someone in the Church administration's idea of a good time.

I wouldn't even celebrate my Bosses birthday, and if a pastor in a Southern Baptist congregation started promoting his own birthday, I'd probably start finding a different congregation (Baptists have that privilege where we can go to whatever church we want) to attend.

Is this something I am not understanding about Mormons and their leadership birthday.

It feels strange and off to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 04:35PM

Classic cult leader nonsense.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 04:42PM

Perhaps the QA wants everyone to know their king is still breathing?

Posted by: The Thinker ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 05:19PM

And yhis will cost how much....and be paid for by whom?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 05:20PM

No, from when I was Mormon, no we didn't go around celebrating the "prophet's" birthday.

His birthday isn't until Sept., anyway. Not sure what it's about

ETA: Just looked it up. They sent out a press release about an hour ago. Gonna guess because it's gonna be his 95th birthday, and for anyone turning that age, I get the celebrating of it.

Perhaps, since he is the head of the church, they thought it would be nice to celebrate it with the whole of Mormon community.

But no, this is not common.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 05:36PM by angela.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 05:55PM

Turning 95 is fairly normal. But throwing yourself a big party paid for by the church and making sure it's publicized proves he's a real prophet.

Only a real prophet can do that!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 06:04PM

No doubt humble Russ did not want this but it was written on God's own notepad on the bed stand when he woke up in the morning. He couldn't even remember having the revelation/dream regarding the matter. Oh well. What's a prophet to do? Must obey the Lord.

I'm sure Wendy looking through catalogues for a new dress til two in the morning and finding the perfect one had nothing to do with it. Still trying to decide on a tiara though.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 06:09PM

We didn't celebrate it and I don't recall any organized effort to celebrate it in all my years as a Mormon.

It might be a Utah thing.
It might be because there is a current prophet who thinks it sounds OK and isn't particularly humble.
It might be because recently he saw how other religious devotees act around their leader when he visited the pope (his new peer- hahaha).
It might be because someone planned it and he thought it would be nice to share all the music and team-building atmosphere.
I don't know where it is going to be held, but if it is in the great and spacious building, they need to make up things to show the sheep that building was needed and worth it to build.

As much of a turn-off as this is, at least people aren't trying to kiss his ring and call him His Holiness. One perk of being a religious leader is that you have adoring fans. You need to wave at them and act interested in them sometimes.

I've been to birthday parties held for Directors in corporations. Some were really into it and others discreetly looked at their watch and were indulging their well meaning staff who planned it.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 07:10PM

Betty G said: "I'm trying to be very polite here so I don't offend those who are ex-Mormons"

That's a tall order, Betty. Exmos are pretty tough to "offend", especially re their old church. :)

Plus they are often, on this board anyway, quite busy "offending" Mormons with their memories of the CoJCoLDS and analyses thereof.

So, carry on!

(Not that most people are purposely offensive but anything short of rave reviews comes across to some members as sinister).

ETA: I was going to make a joke about many in the world celebrating the birthday of Jesus Christ.

But that could actually be offensive.

Depends on whose ox you gore, right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 07:13PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 07:38PM

well, don't you know "HE'S SPECIAL"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 07:47PM

will he live to see it?

Posted by: klsmd ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:53PM

There IS No Less than Dallin Oaks!

Posted by: klsmd ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:57PM

Oops, Sorry, Hit the wrong reply Button and attached to the wrong post...

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 10:57PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> will he live to see it?

The dude is a prophet. Of course he knows he'll still be here for the big day. Unless of course he doesn't make it, then we'll know he was just prophesying as a man.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 03:54AM

Shinehah Wrote:
then we'll know he was just prophesying as a man.

Hahahahaha!!!!

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 07:48PM

No less than Dallin Oaks sez it happens frequently!

"'These types of celebrations, which we have seen since the early years of the Church, give us inspiring insight into the lives of those chosen by God to serve as His prophets,' said President Dallin H. Oaks of the First Presidency. 'I have personally attended many such events for past prophets, and each time I leave with a sense of wonder and gratitude for the way in which our Father in Heaven shapes, trains and teaches His prophets. It will be a privilege for all of us to participate and to celebrate President Nelson’s 95th birthday.'"

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-nelson-95th-birthday-celebration-invitation

Well, they did at least one for Monson. Thousands of people in the Conference Center!

https://www.ksl.com/article/21752380/lds-pres-monson-celebrates-85th-birthday

But yes, it's nothing more than cult leader worship. Like North Korea.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 14, 2019 09:32PM

https://kutv.com/news/local/lds-president-nelson-invited-you-to-his-95-birthday-party

>People from around the world can join President Russell M. Nelson in honoring his birthday on Sept. 6th at the conference center in Salt Lake City
>Each person will only be able to get two tickets.

I am sure there will be Millions of people flying into SLC to attend the event of the century.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 01:33AM

He’s a prophet. Maybe his discernment tells him it’s his last birthday.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 02:03AM

Didn't GBH have a big To-do on his 90th birthday?

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 08:37AM

Thats what I was thinking too. Growing up TBM I have absolutely no memory of ever celebrating the Dear Leaders birthdays. I remember when Hinkley had his big celebration (wasn't it at Rice Eccles at the U of U?) I was disgusted because it so smacked of idolatry and prophet worship.

Posted by: help4343 ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 11:34PM

Hinckley had a big celebration for his 95th birthday as well.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 02:50AM

If only he was a JW instead of a Mormon. They are forbidden to celebrate anyone's birthday, because, you know, Jesus didn't. Or at least he never had a birthday party.

Posted by: SixAM ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:28AM

If he made it to 100, I'd get it. No questions asked. I don't see what is so different about 95 vs. 94 or 96.

I also don't see why he needs a separate event to congratulate him on how special/helpful/wonderful he is. They do that twice a year already.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 02:47AM

His 98th birthday would be very special. That would mean he outlived Hinckley, and outliving other people has been Nelson's major accomplishment in life.

Date: March 15, 2019 10:37AM

With all of those candles, will the fire department be on hand?

Date: March 16, 2019 03:57AM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> With all of those candles, will the fire
> department be on hand?

If the church doesn’t pay taxes to support them I’m guessing the FD may give it a miss!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:59AM

If someone brings up the birthday issue, I suggest onlookers should laugh at them.

"Ha-ha-ha! It's so funny that a mormon prophet's birthday should be treated like an important holiday. That's like celebrating a petty politician's birthday or somebody's birthday because they're in charge of a fast food chain or a municipal water treatment plant. No one cares unless they're personally involved. Giggle."

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 01:40PM

This is for the man who just a few months ago stated that all the pageants were going to be discontinued. Now it is ok to have this over the top birthday celebration?
Reaching 95 is a milestone but unless you are a narcissistic megalomaniac do you think the whole world would want to celebrate with you.
I can guarantee the conference center will be filled, maybe not to overflowing but filled with sheeple to celebrate. I am sure quite a few will only be there to see whom ever the entertainment will be.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:14PM

flutterbypurple Wrote:

> Reaching 95 is a milestone but unless you are a
> narcissistic megalomaniac do you think the whole
> world would want to celebrate with you.

Well, to be fair, the whole word doesn't want to celebrate with him, and I would be surprised if he thought that. BUT I bet most TBM's do. In that, he would be right, don't ya think?

Posted by: flutterbypurple ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 04:13PM

The article in the mormonnewsroom (hail satan) says:

The World Is Invited to President Nelson’s 95th Birthday Celebration
Event will be held September 6, 2019, in Salt Lake City.

Yes he does think the world would want to join in and celebrate.
That makes him a narcissistic megalomaniac IMHO.

Posted by: rocomop ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:16AM

My Italian is non-existent, but I think I read that the Pope already RSVP'd!!! Most likely he's got someone rummaging through their hoard of religious arcana for something appropriate to give Rusty. Ciao!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 01:54PM

Wasn't there a speaker just a couple weeks ago that said when she looked into Nelson's eyes it was as if she was looking into the eyes of God?

That's what the real TBM's think, crap like this (although the Pope or Joel Osteen get the same rock star deal):
https://www.lds.org/church/news/look-back-at-the-most-tender-moments-president-nelson-shared-with-church-members-in-2018?lang=eng&_r=1

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: March 23, 2019 02:31PM

how in the h___ would anyone knows what looking into the eyes of god would be like? wouldn't you have to look into god's eyes first to be able to make that statement?

i've been gone long enough that i don't understand that kind of thinking anymore. the brainwashing/brain dead in me is slipping away, FINALLY

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 04:08PM

Its just 175 days until this super important event and I am so overwhelmingly ecstatic and excited for this super wonderful day. Everything I do the next 175 days is going to be geared towards getting ready for this super important day. All other activities, such as our efforts to try to help the poor, are going to have to be put on the back burner. We've got to get ready for the big birthday bash of this super holy prophet.

Now because we each get just 2 tickets then I'll of course be letting my Stake President decide how to use my ticket as I'm a submissive lamb where my holy shepherds get to make all the calls on everything in my life. And besides they might need me to do something important, like scrub the chapel toilets, that day and if that happens then of course I'll be super joyous and extolling how this assignment is just more proof that the Church is true. So sure it would be nice to go to this bash, especially considering how I'm going to be shunning my family and everyone to get ready for this bash. But if the holy SP needs my ticket then I'll murmur not because the beloved Correlation program has groomed me to be this way.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 04:33PM

Just wait til he announces Mormons will no longer Celebrate Christmas in December for Two reasons.
First, Jesus was born on April 6.
Second, Joseph Smith was born in December.

So, Joe will take the place of Christmas and the mormons will celebrate Christmas now in April. (less competition from Pro Football - the real reason)

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 04:53PM

By inviting "the world" to his public ego stroke, it looks like Holy Nelson has forgotten mormon doctrine. In cultspeak, "the world" is a synonym for "the wicked."

From the cult's own canonized "Joseph Smith – Matthew":

4 "And Jesus left them, and went upon the Mount of Olives. And as he sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying: Tell us when shall these things be which thou hast said concerning the destruction of the temple, and the Jews; and what is the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world, or the destruction of the wicked, which is the end of the world?"

And James 4:4 -

"Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

So Russ & Wendy (& Sheri) are becoming the enemy of god by inviting the wicked to attend and pay homage to Nelson's greatness.

Posted by: I was a MORmON ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 04:02AM

You don't understand.

To Catholics, the Pope is the Vicar (Deputy) of Christ on Earth.

To Mormons, the "Living Prophet" is the King of the Earth (until Christ comes) will full "Divine Authority" over all peoples, all nations, all companies, all religions, all churches, on the planet (until Jesus returns). Rusty Nelson is Rock Star/Movie Star/President of the World, all wrapped into one saggy package. That's how TBMs view him. So, yes, his birthday is a BFD!!!!

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:56AM

From the KUTV article:
"These types of celebrations, which we have seen since the early years of the Church, give us inspiring insight into the lives of those chosen by God to serve as His prophets. I have personally attended many such events for past prophets, and each time I leave with a sense of wonder and gratitude for the way in which our Father in Heaven shapes, trains and teaches His prophets. It will be a privilege for all of us to participate and to celebrate President Nelson’s 95th birthday."

Arrogant much?????

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:58AM

And though no links are to be posted...check out the NAME of the website that has the official PR release for this "special" event..

https://www.MORMONnewsroom.org/article/president-nelson-s-95th-birthday-celebration-invitation

Date: March 16, 2019 11:19AM

Some poor volunteers or misshies will presumably be assigned to make enough Twinkie cakes for the World. Poor saps.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 10:58PM

this shows how badly MoLeaders are out-of-touch with the rank & file;

A truly modest leader wouldn't let other know his/her b.day and/or strongly discourage any personal adoration or celebration, instead doing a Jimmy Carter that day.

Date: March 16, 2019 11:26AM

Yes you can pull up the World invite just google Mormon newsroom. It will be the first result returned.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 11:38AM

Plenty of time (until September!) to Ramp Up the HYPE, isn't there?

Sheesh!!!!!

Date: March 19, 2019 07:01PM

I’ll be at home swinging away at a Russell M Nelson piñata.

Date: March 19, 2019 10:40PM

babyloncansuckit Wrote:
> I’ll be at home swinging away at a Russell M
> Nelson piñata.

Hahaha!!!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 04:44AM

In the UK when he gets to 100 he would get a Birthday Telegram from the Monarch.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 08:49AM

Yet they get offended when people say it's a cult, but this is an example of what a cult does, leader worship.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 11:50AM

I don't remember any other Prophet birthday celebration, but I do remember a few years back when President Hinckley announced it was a "year of celebration" for 150 years since the pioneers entered Salt Lake or something like that. There were plays and spectaculars, new songs written for church choirs, re-enactments... etc. I think the church needs to feel like it's "getting somewhere" occasionally, and maybe that is the inspiration for both that extravaganza and this. Maybe an attempt to fuel unity and focus. Kind of weird, yes.

Posted by: cottonwood2420 ( )
Date: March 24, 2019 11:22PM

They did one for Ezra Taft Benson’s 90th birthday:
https://youtu.be/_n4MagZ9erU

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 25, 2019 03:35AM

He's been introducing a whole new batch of weirdness into Mormonism and all this new weirdness is probably turning out to be a wake-up call to many Mormons who have been sleepwalking for decades.

"So, what? You're telling me that every time the 'Mormon Tabernacle Choir' was introduced or announced during the past century or so...it was a victory for Satan? A victory for Beelzebub? Whoa, that's a lot to digest and my doctor told me last week that my Cog-Dis levels are already dangerously high!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.