Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:12AM

"The Romans did not number days of a month from the first to the last day. Instead, they counted back from three fixed points of the month: the Nones (5th or 7th, depending on the length of the month), the Ides (13th or 15th), and the Kalends (1st of the following month). The Ides occurred near the midpoint, on the 13th for most months, but on the 15th for March, May, July, and October. The Ides were supposed to be determined by the full moon, reflecting the lunar origin of the Roman calendar. On the earliest calendar, the Ides of March would have been the first full moon of the new year."

Also a good day for killing Julius Caesar

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:14AM

And an appropriate response to all that Pi Day nonsense. People should live in fear of irrationality, not exultation in it!

Date: March 15, 2019 11:16AM

You fear irrational numbers ?
I fear imaginary numbers.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:18AM

Date: March 15, 2019 11:21AM

I wouldn't be so negative about irrational numbers. Just square it twice, Dorothy, and you'll be back in Kansas!

Date: March 15, 2019 11:37AM

But we do have a gift card to Chick-Fil-A

Date: March 15, 2019 11:44AM

I'll take a rain check to No Name instead although I don't like how they have mainstreamed that joint.

Date: March 15, 2019 11:50AM

I would seriously be delighted to host you there. But I know better places for clams, and fish & chips.

Date: March 15, 2019 12:05PM

I know just where to shove that quahog.

Date: March 15, 2019 12:18PM

Is that you, Ishmael?

Date: March 15, 2019 12:30PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know just where to shove that quahog.

"Then at last come the clams
Steamed under rockweed and poppin' from their shells
Just how many of 'em down and down our gullets,
We couldn't help ourselves!"

("This Was a Real Good Clambake," from "Carousel," Rogers & Hammerstein 1945)

Dave, you're invited too. Warning: I'll bend your ear into a pretzel talking about my novel. TheLittleNeckFiend

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 05:10PM

Imaginary numbers are more useful than imaginary friends.

Date: March 15, 2019 05:15PM

Imaginary numbers are immensely useful if one is nerdy enough to appreciate them!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 07:37PM

In digital signal processing, complex numbers are the very life blood of the field. Neither voice recognition, nor cell phones, nor MP3s would be possible without them.

Correction from upstream post by LW: it's not irrational numbers that you square twice to get back to Kansas. It is i (= SQRT(-1) ) that you square twice to get back to Kansas. The reason that works is that in the complex plane, multiplying a number by i rotates it 90 degrees (pi/2 radians would be the preferred nomenclature, but hey). So squaring i rotates by 90 degrees twice, reversing the direction of a number. That is the technical reason why multiplying a positive number by a negative number gives a negative result. The "direction" of the original positive number is twisted by 180 degrees in the complex plane, reversing its direction. It is also why a negative times a negative yields a positive result. Again, the "direction" of the original negative number gets turned 180 degrees in the complex plane, from the negative X axis to the positive X axis.

But back to squaring i twice: that is equivalent to multiplying a value by i four times, which is four 90 degree rotations, and you are right back where you started, after a little spin around the block.

A formula that codifies all this, and BTW impressed the hell out of Richard Feynman when he was 15 years old, is e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0, or alternatively, e^(i*pi) = -1. That combines pretty much all of the big guns of mathematics into a single identity: e, i, pi, 0, and 1, as well as the operations of addition, multiplication, and exponentiation. That is kind of jaw-dropping. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity )

There are some irrational numbers that become rational when you square them once - the square root of 2 being a simple example. However, in general, for most irrational numbers, squaring them just gives you another irrational number. pi squared is irrational. I assume pi squared squared is irrational. So, in general, squaring an irrational number twice does not get you back to Kansas. Points for a clever analogy, though, even if misapplied. :)

Yes, nerdy. but it was handy for getting a paycheck at one point in life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 07:44PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: March 15, 2019 10:44PM

Date: March 16, 2019 12:05AM

Yup. I meant imaginary when I said irrational, and I was in fact just referring to i. Squaring i gets you to -1, which is rational, but I thought that anyone who wants to get back to Kansas would probably be more comfortable with a positive 1. So i^2=-1, and i^4 is Topeka.

I like nerds.

Date: March 16, 2019 01:56AM

I didn't know BoJ is such a math nerd. *LOL*

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 08:29PM

I was a math major, though I spent most of my life in more or less mathematical software. the irony is that the only D I got in HS was in Algebra II. I still can't factor polynomials worth a damn. What pointless torture that was!

Humans are pattern-matching creatures, and math is basically the study of patterns, some abstract, some concrete. A four year old can entertain itself by simply counting out loud to 100, and be rather pleased with her/himself at the accomplishment. Numbers give kids a sense of power. Too bad we beat it out of most of them. I was lucky. Aspergers helped. :)

Plus I am old and have accumulated a massive store of knowledge of varying levels of usefulness.

Date: March 17, 2019 11:45PM

I don't even know the difference between a dot product and a cross product

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 05:39PM

My imaginary friends are real. It's just the friendship that is imaginary.

Date: March 17, 2019 01:27PM

The irrational ones can be difficult.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:55PM

Personally, I prefer Transcendental numbers.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 01:25AM

How do they bend their little legs into the Lotus position?

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 07:42AM

Date: March 16, 2019 11:17AM

One hit wonder *LOL*

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.