Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 01:36PM

It seems that the latest attempts to stem the tide of feeling youth include some sort of disdain for social media. I've seen various attempts at using this platform as a missionary tool but I doubt it had much success. The brethren asking everyone to participate in social media fasting seems to be a step in this direction.

Do you think that over time mormon culture will drift towards an anti social media stance? Abstinence from social media except for missionary work could be the next step.

Good luck selling that to today's youth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Conchords ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:06PM

This may be something the LDS is right about like smoking.

Facebook is one of the most socially divisive websites out there. People end up competing and fighting... It polarizes politics...

Date: March 15, 2019 03:07PM

It seems to be a gateway to suicide and anorexia etc... Also pretty toxic and narcissistic.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:19PM

Conchords Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People end up competing and fighting...

Yes, ironic thing to me is, often with people they haven't even met or barely know!

While I was in TSCC, a couple times it was 'recommended' to take a one-week vacation from email, social media, all internet. I say good luck with that seeing the number of ward members who tried to link to me through FB. It will be harder for the church to control than coffee drinking for sure!

Date: March 15, 2019 04:55PM

They're the worst! I laugh at anyone who thinks it is a place to promote their political views... Much of Facebook is an echo chamber and people end up divided into smaller and smaller groups.

Posted by: not logged in, nli ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:21PM

It depends on that day's marching orders. They flood social media when they're told to, and they shun social media when they're told to.

Blind obedience is part of mormon culture.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:25PM

Today: "No we're not to be called Mormons, stay off Facebook!!"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:59PM

If they followed their leaders Facebook would be their individual "printing press" so I don't think Mormonism per say is against social media. Like soda they were only against one type of it [like a hobby.] To be sure that type of Facebook use is applicable to a blog and most other forms. It is the crazy, not faith promoting, bashing, I'm right you're wrong Facebook. Mormon leadership wants its happy people to be happy on Facebook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 04:01PM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.