Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catholicrebel ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 02:02PM

I had a huge curiosity about garments as a member before I could wear them. Was it really a huge blessing to get to wear them? Would I feel any different after receiving them? I was due for my interview and classes to get ready to receive them. A limited use recommend carrying “Mormom” and I was ready to prepare the way to being a garment wearing Mormom for the rest of my life. However, I had huge hang ups with TSCC that we’re beginning to surface that I couldn’t shake. I had to know without going through the Temple what it would feel like to wear them. I’m not really sure why. I just had to know. So, I bought some from a person selling garments never worn, still sealed in their packages and took them home. They were two piece. I took them out of the package. They didn’t glow, or sparkle, or do anything freakishly odd so I put them on. I looked in the mirror. There I was in all my “mormon glory” garments and all. I didn’t really feel different. I kinda felt like I had fallen down the rabbit hole honestly. I put my clothes on over them and proceeded with my day.

Good grief. Maybe I chose the wrong fabric but I ended up with a butt rash and a constant wedgie and wrestle in the bathroom. I felt like I had gone back to the 19th century and the top made my breasts look like Madonna (the singer). At the end of the day I was ready to rip the things off. I got home from work, ripped them off, and put on a pair of yoga pants, a t-shirt, and flip-flops. I headed over to my parents house to have dinner with them. Sunglasses on my face and windows down on my way there, I felt free without them. I never told anyone I did it though. I’m not missing anything.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 02:17PM

Well, they don't have special powers until you have the washing and anointing!

Unfortunately, the only magic is to make you feel like you are in the 19th century.

:-)

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 10:57PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, they don't have special powers until you
> have the washing and anointing!
>
> Unfortunately, the only magic is to make you feel
> like you are in the 19th century.
>
> :-)

All the washing and anointing did for me was make me want to punch someone. Had two cranky old dudes washing and anointing me and I'm standing there naked like a total dork and I probably the only thing that kept me from saying,"I'm out of here!" was I didn't want to disappoint my parents who had gone to the temple with me.

What a house of horrors the place is though.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:21PM

Creepy. I felt the same way. It was my wedding day so I really couldn't bail.

Some old lady was reaching under my poncho touching stuff. I had to get naked to put on the poncho and garments in some curtain-like closet with the old lady nearby. It really was out of my comfort level.

If your church wants you to take off your clothes for any reason you have to ask yourself why you allow them to be so intrusive!

I was too young to know any better and had no warning what they were going to do. I can't believe I talked myself into thinking it was OK for all those years. I knew it was creepy.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 11:40PM

>If your church wants you to take off your clothes for any reason you have to ask yourself why you allow them to be so intrusive!

If your church wants you to take off your clothes for any reason, you should be looking for a new church.
Immediately!

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 03:24PM

I never did the temple prep classes nor wore them.

When I read that even doing yard work you were supposed to wear them under your clothes, I said forget it! Wearing a second layer of clothes in the Deep South in summer? Insane!!!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 15, 2019 04:47PM

mel Wrote:
> I never did the temple prep classes

'Temple Prep' class! If ever there was a misnomer!!!

It ought to be called "Indoctrination 3.1"

Date: March 15, 2019 10:39PM

Indoctrination ouch! So glad I did not have to recover from that as well as everything else! And of course it was surely full of super secret things like calling underwear ‘garments ‘ !!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 12:58AM

Otherwise, I don't know if I could have handled it.

When I did baptisms for the dead, the old ladies made me take off the baptism outfit and stand there naked before they would give me a towel. They taught us modesty and then took us to their holy house and stripped us bare several times. I'm the type that always locks the bathroom door and I freak out if anyone tires to come in. I don't wear shorts (personal preference) or tank tops or anything like that, not because I was raised mormon. It is just me.

Going to Hawaii on my honeymoon during a drought BAKED ME. I already tend to be hot all the time, but garments were so difficult for me to wear. It is so nice to feel your shirt against your skin rather than thermal underwear.

Oh, talking about yoga pants above. My boyfriend and I were at a Christmas craft fair and some young lady was wearing these gold yoga pants with her garments very carefully tucked in. You could see her garment line. It was actually quite disgusting.

Date: March 16, 2019 09:38AM

I too am modest in my clothing. I rarely show my shoulders. I rarely wear tank tops or shorts. It’s also a personal preference. I have a tattoo near my shoulder and it’s rarely seen because I prefer that type of modesty. Granted, I am back to practicing the Catholic faith and modesty is encouraged as well but not to the extent it was in TSCC. Many Catholic women wear tank tops and shorts in the summer and feel no obligation to always have their shoulders covered.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 01:26AM

Garments aren't sold, weren't designed to be comfortable or stylish; they're designed to keep the $'s flowing into ChurchCo.
the way they do that is clearly by keeping the sheeple in conformance - compliance.

ChurchCo LOVES the stratification even tho it splits families EVERY.SINGLE.HOUR.OF.EVERY.DAY.

Date: March 16, 2019 09:32AM

This is true but despite TSCC effort to stop it, garments are being sold by members as a sort of novelty I guess you could say. It was almost effortless to get the garments from someone else that had never been worn or even opened. People are even selling recommends and church membership numbers. Things, that used to be so secretive though they always said “sacred not secret” are getting out there to the outside world, including videos now on the internet of the inside of the Temple (during ceremonies) causing the number of investigators who actually convert to dwindle.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2019 10:27AM

I believe he used to post here, but has been banned. (I may be wrong, so anyone feel free to correct me.)

Date: March 16, 2019 12:27PM

Cl and Cathreb,

Don’t you hate those clothes they are sellling now with the shoulders cut out? I do! Crazy idea!

Date: March 18, 2019 06:43PM

Yes, I do actually. Just not my cup of tea. :)

Date: March 18, 2019 06:56PM

catholicrebel Wrote:
> Yes, I do actually. Just not my cup of tea. :)

It was so strange the first time I tried one on and my arm went through the sleeve! It will be very difficult for women who wear garments, to weather this latest fashion trend and find anything to buy!

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 01:10PM

Kind of like a training bra?

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: March 21, 2019 09:04AM

One of the reasons I quit before becoming eligible as a convert to go to the temple was that I didn't want to have a cult tell me what underwear to wear. Even though I never wore them, when I left, my underwear and bra drawer became much more colorful.

Date: March 23, 2019 09:38PM

Looks like Victoria isn’t the only one with a secret. Wait... it’s sacred not secret... I forgot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.