Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 01:59AM

Who was the best dancer?

Both danced so well that, as a reward for their amazing dancing skills, they were able to procure a beheading of a prominent man.

In the case of the daughter of Herod, the head in question was John the Baptist's head. Salome, daughter of Herod, supposedly did it as a favor to her mom (Herodias) because John the Baptist had declared that the marriage of Herod II and Herodias was illegitimate. So daughter of Herod was doing it for the family.

Daughter of Jared was making a colder power play. The decapitation in question was her own grandfather's decapitation. She figured she would have more power and status if her pop became king, so .... And Akish, her thuggish gangster husband was always a sucker for a lascivious dance.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that we need a Broadway musical or Hollywood movie that brings these too exceptionally skilled lascivious dancers together in super dramatic dance competition.

Trailer [imagine the typical movie trailer voice]: "Two women. History in the balance. Heads will turn...and then they will roll. One reluctantly shakes her booty for family honor. The other eagerly twerks for personal ambition. Jared, Herod and their dancing daughters. Now a major motion picture: Decollatio Dance Macabre! Coming to a theater near you. Check for show times and ticketing information."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 08:10AM

Lol. There probably could be a movie there. And of course both stories play to the same sexist trope that the Adam and Eve story plays to: women are manipulative and exceedingly dangerous and are not to be trusted with power.

See also Delilah, and I suppose in modern scripture, Kill Bill.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 08:36AM

I'm guessing Jared and his daughter are BoM characters? Is there a sense that Joseph Smith used Salome's story as an inspiration for his version?

And I admire the extension of the theme to Kill Bill. The women in that film are very dangerous indeed with their swords. I'm now able to picture Jared's daughter going after Gramps in a yellow jumpsuit, and I don't even know the story!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 10:45AM

is a Book of Mormon character. Definitely inspired by the Salome story (as in Joseph Smith shamelessly copied the basic "dancing for a decapitation" story from the New Testament).

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 17, 2019 02:49PM

Interesting how many Book of Mormon stories have such close resemblance to bible stories. Why the heck do you suppose that is?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.