Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gone4good4ever ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 06:23PM

apparently i am really so stupid that i misunderstood about keeping the sabbath day holy. i thought that is exactly what it meant but apparently anything goes.

this mormon girl was out auditioning on the sabbath day. wish i understood the rules or even to know the rules would be nice.

http://www.ldsliving.com/Why-Katy-Perry-Thinks-This-Latter-day-Saint-Could-Win-American-Idol/s/90474

Ashley Hess sings to the judges in the first round of American Idol auditions on March 17, 2019. Image screenshot from YouTube.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mel ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 06:58PM

I always cracked up if I went to the grocery store after Sunday TSCC service, and saw others there in their Sunday Best. Always tried to pretend I didn't recognize them. :)

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 09:30PM

Oh, not me, Mel! I'd walk right up to them and say hi. It was always funny to hear their excuses as to why they were shopping on Sunday. It used to be very quiet and not crowded in the stores on Sunday here in Utah. Now, not so much.

Date: March 19, 2019 12:50AM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, not me, Mel! I'd walk right up to them and
> say hi.

Ha! Funny! You’re very brave!!! Funny they would give you an excuse but wouldn’t ask you for yours!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 09:42AM

Exactly! They automatically start explaining/spinning why they are breaking the con-mandments. The guilt kicks in and the mouth starts moving.

Either that or they take off in the opposite direction if they think you haven't seen them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 09:22PM

Maybe they're using the same rule I learned from a Southern evangelical: The sabbath ends when the church service does, which gives you enough time to get home, change clothes and get the grill fired up before NFL or NASCAR starts.

Date: March 19, 2019 12:52AM

olderelder Wrote:
> Maybe they're using the same rule I learned from a
> Southern evangelical: The sabbath ends when the
> church service does, which gives you enough time
> to get home, change clothes and get the grill
> fired up before NFL or NASCAR starts.

Yep! I can tell you did live in the south! Roll tide!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 10:09AM

Haha. Yep, that's the way it is still in these parts. You gotta get up early to beat the Baptists to the restaurants, Ikea and Costco on Sunday. As soon as services are over, it's a beeline. Except on Super Bowl Sunday, of course. Best shopping day of the year in Tennessee.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 10:47AM

When church is over, there are actually policemen directing traffic to allow the church masses to exit the parking lots for several of the larger churches in B-ham, AL. Once that happens, I learned not to pick that time for restaurants and errands.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 02:55PM

Same way here, Dagny. The biggest church holds over 30,000 people. They have their own security/traffic force. You learn what roads not to be on at noon on Sunday, and Wednesday nights for that matter. It's like ballgame traffic. And it's right by IKEA. Baptists do love their meatballs.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 09:53PM

For example, if you're a Steve Young or a Gladys Knight, doing your job on Sundays is just fine...encouraged even because you're an "ambassador" for the church. Basically you're getting credit for being a missionary and getting paid very well to do it.

So maybe that Mormon girl figures she's already in on that deal.

Then again, the Church has always been a bit fickle on the sabbath/sunday thing. Doctors, nurses, firemen have always been excused for working on Sundays whenever duty called.

Generally, the leaders urge people to avoid working on Sundays whenever possible, but don't get to judgmental about people whose jobs occasionally demand it (as in work on Sunday or lose your job). On other occasions, however, the leaders will get up and extol the virtues of people who sacrificed jobs and big opportunities just to keep the sabbath (actually, Sunday) holy.

I remember when the Chariots of Fire movie came out. Mormons loved the part where Eric Liddell refuses to run in an Olympic race that is scheduled on Sunday, even though he knew that his refusal could result in the end of his dreams of winning a gold medal. So that was obviously held up as an example of correct behavior....but in the real world not really followed by many.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:42PM

LDS Inc is fine with anybody doing their job on Sunday. It may keep you from getting certain callings, but it will not keep you from getting a TR. I can't believe the number of people here who are "shocked, just shocked" that there are Mormons who openly work on Sundays. I'm not sure whether the posters are being disingenuous, or are just astonishingly naive.

LDS Inc didn't even care all that much about amateur athletes participating in Sunday events. I know Johnny Miller did weekend golf tournaments while he was at BYU. I was in the same dorm with him. There was some tongue-clucking, and I imagine that was part of the reason why BYU finally decided that they would not participate in any sporting events on Sundays. I think that became official policy somewhere in the 1970s.

So, amateur athletics is out at LDS schools, but if you are actually getting paid, Sunday employment is not a problem. You are a potential tithe-payer. God always approves of tithing.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:48PM

the Double Standard that ChurchCo embraces openly reaches to far corners, although sometimes denied or hushed-up.

For me, it goes back to Mittens getting married in Michigan one day (no temple there then) & getting 'Sealed' in the SL temple the next; It seems her parents were among the Unwashed Masses...

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:50PM

The sabbath is saturday.

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 07:04PM

TOTALLY AGREE !!

Posted by: gone4good4ever ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 10:58PM

but she's not even working as in a paid job, she is out there trying to get into hollywood. great goal for a mormon

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 12:36AM

they're famous for doing things that go against traditional Mormon notions of morality.

I'm sure they would love Katherine Heigl, if she declared herself to be an active, true-believing Mormon. Most wouldn't care at all what her "characters" do in the movies and on TV. It's just her job to portray those kinds of characters, just like whoever the actor it was who played the Devil in the temple movie.

Mormons are among the best rationalizers in the world.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 11:15PM

What did Hinkley say? I'm not sure that we teach that.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 18, 2019 11:34PM

Nope, same as they've always been.

If you are related to a big name, bring in big tithes, or are ordained by the office of public relations, you can do anything on Sunday to make Mormonism look good.

If not, shut up and get your butt into sacrament meeting.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 12:41AM

The sabbath thing has for at least a couple of generations been left up to individual (or parent) interpretation far more than some other LDS "commandments" have been. Isolated bishops or stake presidents might have applied rigid standards for temple recommends, but they were probably acting as rogues in doing that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 12:42AM by scmd1.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 01:17AM

It's long been a double standard.

For instance, it was NOT ok to drive a quarter mile down the road to purchase a fresh loaf of bread from the supermarket. Maybe, a 10 minute delay to sacrament meeting to offset the fact that the assigned teacher "forgot" to bring the bread.

However, it was ACCEPTABLE for a member of the bishopric to drive to his residence to retrieve a loaf of bread. Sacrament was delayed by having the talks first, then congregation sang 5 hymns until the loaf was delivered to the teachers. The teachers were the first to discover that the bread was not thawed, it was frozen solid. They used a butter knife to chisel two slices so the priests could "break it" during the sacrament hymn.

I was one of the three priests that had the formidable task of shattering the frozen bread. I only made a large whole and it looked horribly mangled. A buddy of mine sat down and mimicked that he was going to take off his shoe so he could whack it with the heel. The other priest pinky-waved the bishop to come over. He agreed that the frozen bread was terrible, it even had signs of freezer burn. The organist played an interlude while the do-dos tried to figure out how to heat up the terrible bread.

Club crackers to the rescue!

A member had exited the chapel and returned with two unopened packages of Ritz crackers which he presented for the bishop's approval. We quickly broke about 8-9 crackers and blessed them as bread. After sacrament was passed, we had a closing prayer.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 19, 2019 02:33AM

who work with me at Sam's Club request and GET Sunday off.

I had the bishop tell me I shouldn't work on Sundays when I did medical transcription. Well, IT HAS TO BE DONE. I finally realized that, but then I've worked on Sundays since I started doing it 33 years ago.

And my TBM daughter is over the top crazy about keeping the sabbath day holy. She won't even eat something that I purchase on Sunday like if I go buy it and cook it.

My mother could go buy gas, but she wouldn't let us get a candy bar. She would let us buy pop out of the machines. I never could figure the gas part out. We weren't allowed to do laundry on Sundays. My grandmother wouldn't sew on Sundays. She had heard that every stitch you did on a Sunday, you would have to undo with your nose in the next life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2019 02:36AM by cl2.

Date: March 19, 2019 03:40AM

cl2 Wrote:
We weren't allowed to do laundry on Sundays.

When I was little and my family lived in faculty housing adjacent to BYU-Hawaii, we had a few students living with us between housing situations at various times. Other than our nanny who was a student and for whom it was a mutualistically symbiotic relationship, my parents were doing the students a favor in letting them live with us until a room or an apartment was available or until they could save enough for the required deposit. One girl was so self-righteous as to complain that she could not feel the spirit of the sabbath when the washer or dryer was going. My mom invited her to go elsewhere if the sound of the washer or dryer was so unholy to her.

Date: March 19, 2019 09:22AM

There were plenty of fruitcakes getting up and explaining how non-members guests visiting their homes caused their washers/dryers to break down on Sundays (from use on THAT day). I never felt any guilt from doing what needed to get done. If I needed something washed for school/work, then I would do it on Sunday.

Sometimes, my Dad would buy a large item (like furniture or an appliance) at the flea market on Saturday, but didn't have his truck. So he would make arrangements with the seller to pick it up on Sunday; after church of course.

My parents were not very picky about Sundays; so long as church was attended.

Date: March 20, 2019 03:48PM

Your dad sounds a lot like my dad.

Posted by: logged way off ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 03:20PM

In the 1950s-60s, there was a major league pitcher named Vernon Law who was a mormon. Somehow, the story got started that due to his standards, he refused to pitch on Sundays. That story, like so many faith-promoters, is false; Law actually pitched on Sundays more than on any other day of the week.

The stories that mormons like to tell about themselves have never matched reality.

Date: March 20, 2019 03:36PM

Paul Dunn also embraced the no-play on Sunday as well.

Lying for the lord is different though.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 04:47PM

My TBM husband unexpectedly abandoned me and our children, and disappeared completely, with no contact for several years, and never paid us any money. I had to get a job--fast--and one that paid well. My wonderful kids were too young for regular jobs, but they landed two paper routes, in our neighborhood, and they delivered by bicycle. They had to deliver the Sunday paper, as well. The priesthood leaders told them to quit their paper routes, because it was a sin to work on Sunday. My children were maligned, instead of admired for their hard work. They always had jobs, and kids' after-school jobs usually included the weekends, and holidays, too. I think this played a part in keeping them from being engulfed by the cult. They had work friends and school friends, but fewer church friends, because of this. They had a sense of accomplishment and independence and--self-respect--which the Mormons frown upon as "pride.".

My career often demanded Sunday work, but I could make my own schedule, so I still attended church. I actually felt ashamed "sneaking" off to work on Sundays--and my career was perfectly respectable! We prevailed over a major life setback, and saved our family and our house--yet we were marginalized for doing this?

During tithing settlement, the bishop lectured me on how mothers should not work, anyway, and working on Sunday is considered a sin, bla-bla, and I said, "So...does that mean you won't accept my tithing?"

Date: March 20, 2019 11:23PM

Exminion,

Your story is inspirational and also illustrates the garbage that’s TSSC. Glad you made it out alive. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2019 11:24PM by mel.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 04:42PM

I so agree that your story, Exminion, is inspirational. The nerve of the bishop to chastise you for working on Sunday when he should have been handing you a medal, a VERY large medal, for a job well done.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 20, 2019 11:59PM

a while ago, wife & I traveled from Seattle to Oregon to look at some property, it wasn't a there & back one-day trip, we went on a Saturday, traveled home on a Sunday.

'TBM' wife nearly had a fit when we stopped at a drive-in for some food on the way home Sunday!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 22, 2019 06:45PM

Sabbath=Sinnin'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.