Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 04:25PM

With this new name the church could take care of two important details of their Org....a shorter new name PLUS, drumroll please, it could do away with their floundering young mishie program because the name says it all.

Now, you might ask if such a name might be a slam-in-the-face to other churches. My reply, along with a muffled laugh, is since when does such matters bother the church? The mishie plan, along with every member a missionary motto drilled into members from the time they could munch on Cheerios, essentially demands members shout this out to the world whenever possible.

No bones about it....the church declares that it is Jesus Christ's True Church.

So, what do you think Rusty?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 12:12AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 04:28PM

How about even shorter?

Jesus Christ's Church

Or Church of Jesus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 04:29PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 06:45PM

Jesus Inc.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen 2.0 ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 02:29PM

......FLDS.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 04:45PM

They could just call it Church of Jesus Smith.

No other church would ever claim that name.

Also, it has already been sanctioned by one of the longest living profits, the Hinkster.

Date: April 03, 2019 06:49PM

This gave me a good laugh. Made me snort tea up my nose. Thanks, I think. Hot tea. Very. Hot. Tea.

Perfect name though - I remember when we first heard about Jesus Smith. And the first year they had JS in the manger. It seemed so amazingly blasphemous that the ship of CoJCoLDS would surely sink.

Apparently not.

Is nothing too far out there for them to say or do or be before the end cometh for them?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 06:18PM

I have an idea!!
Due to the name of their main religious tome Why not call it "The Mormon Church?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 08:55PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 06:30PM

To further avoid confusion, they could call it “The Mormon Church-Salt Lake City Synod.”

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 06:45PM

"Utah Jesus Cult"

Date: April 03, 2019 06:48PM

I like the idea of shortening it.....so, here we go,........

Christ's True Church

Date: April 03, 2019 07:01PM

I've never understood how baldly saying "Christ" so much doesn't hurt Mormon ears. "I believe in Christ". Maybe because one of my workmates frequently used it as her favourite epithet it's always grated on me. And, of course, to Christians it's a most blasphemous curse word.

But Mormons run around saying "Christ", "Christ", "Christ" over and over. It makes me laugh and grimace in equal parts. I'd like to get used to it so it washes over me but it just doesn't. Every time it jars.

A sister missionary in the ward I attended thought she was Kiri Te Kanawa. She used to get up at every opportunity and screech out the Mormon song about "Christ". (Blessedly, I forget the song title now). The first time I heard her I thought it was a joke. Five stray cats and a rabid hounddog brawling in the streets sound more pleasant than she did. (Made worse by the fact that I didn't massively care for her; she was a one-woman horror show - the one who was abusive to her comps but an MP favourite).

If LDS ever changed to a church named Christ it would be fitting yet appalling. So screechy and stark.

I'm an equal opportunity offendee - I don't like "Church of Christ" or "Church of Christ, Scientist" either.

When I was a kid we lived across the street from a Church of Christ, Scientist. Being a most literal sort I thought how interesting it was to know that Jesus was a scientist. LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 07:02PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 02:01PM

When it's mainstreaming, "Jesus" and "Christ" are thrown around a lot. Implying "Christian" of course.

Of course, Christians believe in Christ too; they just believe different things about him.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 07:08PM

Every day on my way to work I pass by the "True Jesus Church." Great name. Short and sweet. The sign is also in what I think is Korean, so who knows. Perhaps these are the descendants of the people Jesus took his gospel to in Asia when he went on his world tour after the crucifixion and before he took his act to the Americas for a three day gig. I need to see if they have a "Book of Hong" at the True Jesus Church.

You gotta have a gimmick if you want to stand out and Russ just dumped all over the gimmick but I guess he figured generic sells better than the name brands.

So, perhaps the "Maybe Jesus Church?"

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 08:59PM

Maybe, "Church of Jesus H. Christ". CJHC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 09:00PM by tumwater.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 09:54PM

JFC, the church!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 10:33PM

"Jesus Sold Here"

Date: April 04, 2019 02:23PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Jesus Sold Here"

I can hear the calls all along the mormon midway!!

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 10:43PM

The word "church" just refers to a place of assembly. In pre-Christian times it referred to a circle (coming from the word "circe" (pronounced kirke).

They could instead just call themselves "The People of Jesus" (nickname: The PJs (pronounced "Peejays")) or something. Or the "Organized Followers of Jesus"

Or the Circle of Jesus.

Or the Followers of Christ ("Meet the Focers")

Or they could just let people keep calling them Mormons and stop making a big stink about it and stop pretending that Mormon Jesus cries every time someone calls a Mormon a Mormon. Jesus told me that he doesn't really care at all. Never even thought about it until Nelson started nagging everyone about it. In fact, Jesus told me that he cringes every time Nelson does that because Nelson is giving Jesus a bad name and making Jesus look like a petty, oversensitive, egotistical crybaby. Yep, that's what Jesus told me just last week.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 01:58PM

Church is from the Greek kyriakon = belonging to the lord. Kyrios is cognate with the Latin cumulus, both coming from a Proto-Indo-European root meaning to swell, spread out, be strong.

Circle is from the Latin circulus, a diminutive of circus, related to the Greek kirkos, also meaning ring.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 03:18PM

I tend to find the circe etymology more persuasive. But you may ultimately be right about the true etymology.

Etymology is often educated guess work. I may be mistaken, but it appears possible that the case for kurios or kyrios is not as closed and as definite as you have indicated, and there are extensive indications that it has indeed been argued for a long time and continues to be in dispute.

I'm not taking an absolutist position either way, but simply preferred the circe etymological (theory) for making the point in my post. As always, I'm open to being persuaded away from that preference by further light and knowledge (but not necessarily by dogma).

+++++++
Some interesting examples of how the etymology has been debated in the past can be seen under the heading "Going in Circles" here:

https://www.beinaberean.org/writings/church.html

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: April 03, 2019 11:39PM

The correct name

The church of christ even jesus.

Or

The church of Joshua son of Joseph

Date: April 04, 2019 12:09AM

I'm rather stuck that "true" has to fit in there someplace, but I really like the suggestion of adding "even Jesus"......

So....True Church of Even Jesus

But, I have to admit that The Church of Christ Even Jesus rolls much better of the tongue.

This causes headaches, doesn't it? (wonder if Rusty got headaches too, or just the pesty Devil hounding him?)

Ummm, I do think the poster who said let's just stick with THE MORMONS is on to something perrrrrrfect! I mean, seriously, will the MormonCult ever just drop Mormon from their hall of fame? He was such a SuperStar in their tall-tale. I mean would Paul Bunyon like us to drop his name from his tall-tale?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 12:13PM

The True Church, even of Jesus.

Date: April 04, 2019 02:25PM

The Wonderful World of Disney?

Oh, wait, that's taken...

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 10:43AM

The Church of Brigham & Jesus, even The Mormons

Posted by: Born in fell out ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 01:19PM

THE CHURCH OF changing
TO CHRIST of latter day saints

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 02:08PM

Jesus H. Christ!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.