Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 11:05AM

Seems that if a passenger aircraft engine exploded and had to make an emergency landing, it ought to be able to be fact checked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwKxmTLaCs

It smells like BS to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 02:10PM

Can't find any info on this except in LDS sources.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 02:48PM

Starts by saying he's in a "small airplane". Video shows something like a 737 - misleading at best.

Says "a woman" was hysterical. If it were a small two engine airplane its quite likely he would know everyone in the plane, yet he makes it sound like it was some stranger.

Says the fire was extinguished by the dive and the pilot started the second engine. Wait, they were flying using only one engine and the other had to be started, what? Not sure a plane would start to "dive" if it lost power -- only if an explosion knock out a control surface or something of that nature. The plane would lose speed and maybe altitude in a more gradual fashion. Most two engine planes can fly for quite a while on one engine and thus can land at an actual airport not have to land "in a field".

So I'm calling BS on this one.

Date: April 04, 2019 04:21PM

I looked at it just like you said. And the part about starting the second engine caused by BS meter to peg out.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:17PM

numbersRus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Starts by saying he's in a "small airplane".
> Video shows something like a 737 - misleading at
> best.
>
> Says "a woman" was hysterical. If it were a small
> two engine airplane its quite likely he would know
> everyone in the plane, yet he makes it sound like
> it was some stranger.
>
> Says the fire was extinguished by the dive and the
> pilot started the second engine. Wait, they were
> flying using only one engine and the other had to
> be started, what? Not sure a plane would start to
> "dive" if it lost power -- only if an explosion
> knock out a control surface or something of that
> nature. The plane would lose speed and maybe
> altitude in a more gradual fashion. Most two
> engine planes can fly for quite a while on one
> engine and thus can land at an actual airport not
> have to land "in a field".
>
> So I'm calling BS on this one.

The dive would have been initiated by the pilot to put the engine fire out.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080711120259AAvx9OP

Date: April 06, 2019 08:43PM

Thanks Matt. Kind of makes more sense with a DC-3 too.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 02:55PM

I believe that mormon stories aren't about facts, but rather feelings.

If facts were useful, they would not have spent so much time and effort over the years trying to hide them.

Mormons: coming up on 189 years of hiding facts in order to promote feelings.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 03:36PM

If the profit says so then the debate is over. It's true. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 03:37PM by messygoop.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 05:02PM

Nelson is pretty old so the story might be old as well.

Claims from the video:

1. Small plane
2. Engine on the wing
3. Engine caught fire
4. Engine exploded
5. Burning oil all over the right side of the airplane
6. Started to dive toward the earth
7. "We were spinning down to our death."
8. Spiral dive extinguished the flame
9. Pilot got control and started the other engine up
10. Made an emergency landing out in a field

Taking the story at face value, I would surmise a few things. This was probably a propeller driven aircraft, not a jet. A jet engine exploding would be unlikely to spray the fuselage with burning oil because the plane would be moving too fast and the burning detritus would end up behind the plane.

Diving and spinning after an engine failure might happen to a smaller twin propeller plane, especially while it's climbing. Losing the right engine would cause the aircraft to lose speed, and the loss of thrust on that side would cause the aircraft to yaw to the right, possibly stalling the right wing and causing the aircraft to go into a spin. This is a dangerous condition, but pilots are trained to handle it.

The pilots may have cut fuel to both engines to ensure that the fire did not spread. Or they may have just pulled the throttles back on both engines, because that is one of the steps in recovering from a spin condition. In any event, the passengers would have seen the aircraft recover to a normal attitude and then the left engine start back up to full speed.

The fact that the airplane made an emergency landing in a field is also indicative of a small propeller aircraft. A jet would have "crashed" in the field, due to its higher landing speed.

I'm wondering if this didn't happen in something like a DC-3, either back in the 1940s or 50s in the US, or in some other country. Perhaps in an incident similar to this one: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19740223-1

Nelson may not be a liar, but he's certainly an ass for criticizing some poor lady who got upset during a life threatening situation.

Date: April 04, 2019 05:21PM

Thanks for the info. When I checked the NTSB back to the 1970s for jet aircraft all I kept finding was fatalities and no survivors. DC-3 does make more sense, and passengers thinking the other engine being restarted when it throttled back up is believable. I was just wondering about the story, if it had been tied to a specific aircraft incident.

Date: April 04, 2019 05:28PM

If I recall correctly, Paul Dunn was on that same flight and had something to do with getting the plane down safely. True story!

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 05:45PM

Good one.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 10:44PM

And Mick Jagged was there too bragging about he was corrupting the youth.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 02:11AM

East Coast Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Nelson may not be a liar*

*in this instance,

Rusty has ZERO credibility due to other bombastic lies that he insists on telling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58V6CFlxoJY

Date: April 04, 2019 05:14PM

Also...

His storytelling implied that as a faithful mormon, he could face death calmly, while implying that others not so fortunate, could not, i.e., the lady he mentioned.

Which is a lot of porse hucky. It's simply that men in our culture get imprinted that they are to be that way, and women are imprinted by society that it's okay to freak out. Are there exceptions to each role? Of course!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 02:18AM

yah how easy to tell that kind of story after the fact with that setting.

What would really happen IF Nelson saw some one get shot, and then the gun was turned on him, then there is loud bang and bright flash. It was a blank, but Nelson does not know that.

I am betting that he would NOT be nearly as calm and collected in the face of death as he presents. IF that is not enough, I bet that Nelsons reaction would change dramatically, IF he was actually shot, but survived and then lived to have that experience again. Reality might have big impact on him.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 06:03PM

OMG....this preaching story told by Arrogant Rusty makes me ANGRY! SO ANGRY!

He brags that he was soooo calm, and oh, he could not believe how histerical this woman across the isle was. He never said he reached across the isle to try and console her so my thinking is he didn't. Now, what would Jesus have done in this situation, Rusty? Did you forget your CTR Ring? (now if I am wrongly accusing him, I apologize wholeheartedly).

Plus, this woman could have had strong beliefs in an afterlife just like Rusty, but her TERRIFIED feelings surfaced anyway. Personally, I think her reaction seems more NORMAL than his. And, how old was she and did she have lots of living (unlike elderly Rusty) that she still hoped very much to do?

I could go on and on, but I will cease my outburst and agree 100% with East Coast Exmo's assesment of Rusty..."Nelson may not be a liar, but he's certainly an ass for critizing some poor lady who got upset in a life threatening situation".

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 06:24PM

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I have gone back in time and watched a lot of his talks from conference and BYU. He comes across arrogant and uncaring. Certain personalities are cold and callous. The part about the screaming woman reaffirms that he is the type that is annoyed by other people's feelings. I think that he has avoided most troubles by staying away from home as a workaholic. That's how he has coped by letting someone else deal with it. I've known people like Nelson both in and out of the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 06:24PM by messygoop.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 08:19PM

Rusty had to be very disciplined and diligent to become a doctor, plus, of course, very bright. I know a few doctors fairly well, two of them even surgeons, and one's personality to me is a lot like Rusty's. As you described, he is cold and callous to others who do not have the qualities and discipline that he has. It's like you are not even present and definitely not in the same "club" as he is.

I am the first to say that becoming a doctor is a masterful and amazing achievement, and I have a lot of thanks and gratitude for what they do for people, and yes, I give them a very huge thanks for the help they have been in my life. But, it is especially nice when you meet a doctor who does not make you feel you are a low-low-life because you do not measure up to his intelligence and discipline ability and lets you know by his looks, words, and even humor that he likes you anyway.....and understands and tells you to keep on trying.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2019 08:50PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 10:36PM

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 11:21PM

all those moments where they can honestly look a patient in the eye and say: "I know more about what's in your heart than you do."

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 04, 2019 11:19PM

The thing that bugs me most about the story is the lame effort to use it as an example of faith in action.

Each person's "faith" can have an impact on how that person reacts to a situation like that. But that doesn't mean that the faith in question is vindicated.

Members of various cults (e.g. "Heaven's Gate") have killed themselves throughout history, many of them doing it calmly based on their powerful faith. Some deranged nut may blow himself up on a bus thinking that his spirit will come out of it as a hero and he'll be rewarded in heaven with a beautiful garden and 72 virgins. Faith is a motivator. Faith modifies behavior. But it can do all of that while being false and being based on lies.

Russell's faith had nothing to do with the fate of the airplane. If the story is true, it just means that faith influenced his reaction to the situation. Meanwhile, the pilot in the cockpit was doing everything he could, in reliance on years of training and experience, to keep the plane from crashing. He probably wasn't looking serenely out the window thinking: "It'll be all right and everything will be okay because I have faith."

Posted by: not logged in, nli ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 12:37PM

This is the same Russ Nelson who was in Jerusalem a year ago, right before his African Tithing Tour. When the US bombed **Syria**, he was whisked out ASAP.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/faith/lds-church-president-russell-m-nelson-leaves-jerusalem-after-military/article_990b8a20-6120-5318-90e3-c0f052a2f1ea.html

He obviously didn't have sufficient faith to face this non-life-threatening situation. Also, according to mormon doctrine there are two prophets/apostles who will die in Jerusalem during the last days, signaling Christ's imminent return. Russ didn't want to be one of those guys LOL.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 05:23PM

Nelson is old enough that this almost could've benn the Wright Brothers' plane.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.