Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 11:55AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 12:54PM

Best opening line ever referring to Mormons:

"Claiming to speak for God is a tricky business -- especially when God changes his mind, often, on hot-button political issues after receiving immense public backlash."

Mormons are such a sad joke that hurts a lot of people. Love this article. Thanks koriwhore

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 12:55PM

The writer succinctly outlines the Mormon Church's conservative stance on basic issues and questions, and asks, as many here have, whether the policy/doctrine changes reflect revelation or self-interest by church leaders (my paraphrase).

I'm guessing the article's author isn't Mormon. :)

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 03:31PM

My favorite line - "The Mormon church is facing the challenge of explaining why God seems to have dramatically flip-flopped on his stance regarding the inclusion of LGBT families."

I can just see it now, New handbook of instructions to Bishops:

"if a member asks, Bishop, why did god dramatically flip-flop on his stance regarding inclusion of LGBT families?"

just choose from any one of the cliches that typically pass for legitimate answers,

A. "God works in mysterious ways!"
B. "That is not important for salvation. We'll find out in the next life."
C. "Why are you so concerned about that when you're behind on your tithing payments? I'd be more concerned with freezing in outer darkness for the rest of eternity if I were you!"
D. "What sins are you committing that would lead you to question revelation from God?"
E. "Oh God still hates fags, but He's just a little short on cash, so He needs to stop the bleeding."

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 04:06PM

Love your abc choices....and thanks for posting this superb news article.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 03:37PM

Oh what to do...what to do...

https://youtu.be/idP5-vtkhBE

Well maybe the church leaders just need to man up and stop playing games and come clean.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:43AM

No, this is more fun.

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: April 05, 2019 10:56PM

Love it!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 12:01AM

I'm glad that the church is squirming. Serves them right for making a stupid policy in the first place, then trying to justify it through inspired thought.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 02:35AM

The course of the Lord is one eternal round.

So of course the lord changes things and eventually ends up where he started

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:32AM

And since a thousand years to mankind equals a day to god, he made this lap in just five minutes. No wonder he’s dizzy.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 03:06AM

I just read the article and thought it pretty generous to the church. I don't know how the offended Mormons feel this sort of thing should be spun, but facts is facts and the tone could have been a lot more critical.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:48AM

I don't understand why exactly, but much of what gets reported about the church smells like a PR or Public Announcement piece.

How do they manage to get such Fabreze-sprayed cooperation (most of time) from the press? Even the POTUS doesn't get fluffy passes like Mormonism gets much of the time.

At least that is how it seems much of the time to me.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:58AM

OMH!!! I hadn't heard the part about same-sex couples, just about the children.

Now what I don't understand is HOW people like my daughter can stay in after this FLIP-FLOP.

Well, after all she is going snowboarding this morning and to the baby animal event at the "farm" here in Cache Valley this afternoon. What about conference???? ha ha ha ha Is she calming down?

The thing that kills me is how they act as if it is no big deal. Do they talk to God or not? Well we all know the answer to that question, but why don't the still mormons think of that?

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:59AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.