Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 04:26PM

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2019/04/02/steve-benson-joins-arizona-mirror/

So, Steve Benson will be posting cartoons twice a week on the Arizona Mirror's website.

Good for Steve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 04:32PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 04:37PM

So it's a purely online news outlet launched last year in Arizona.

How timely for Steve.

Very nice it worked out for both parties.

It also allows him time to pursue other interests now he's shifted to a p/t position. Good outlet for him to network as he shifts gears.

Posted by: sbenson ( )
Date: June 09, 2022 06:13PM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 04:37PM

Good for him. Best of luck, Steve.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 07:19AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 04:42PM

I am very happy for you, Steve.

I am no political cartoonist, but I AM a writer, and I understand what this means.

Way to go!!

Date: April 06, 2019 04:49PM

Writers gotta write.

Cartoonists gonna keep on cartooning. Ain't no two ways around it.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 05:29PM

Good for Steve!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:09PM

If it's a short article, Steve had nothing to do with writing it!

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:19PM

<snort>

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 06:23PM

Newspapers are disappearing. Getting fired from a newspaper is like getting fired from a buggy whip factory. There will always be demand for talented political cartoonists. Especially inthe whacky political environment of today. No shortage of things to make fun of there.

Steve is one of the best.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:55AM

I happen to believe that the gods must have broken the mold when they created Steve Benson just to be certain he would stand out amongst the huddled masses of mediocrity.

I'm not at all sure what brought us together but I will say that I consider it a privelege to have known the real man behind the famous byline.

Besta luck old man!

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:59AM

I'm pretty sure he puts his pants on just like the rest of humanity.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:47AM

Good luck to you, Steve !
:)

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:20AM

Date: April 07, 2019 11:47AM

It's a nice p/t gig in Steve's retirement.

At his age he is able to be drawing his full SS benefits, and living off his 401 if he so desires.

He has worked his entire career. This may well be his "winding down" phase.

Date: April 07, 2019 11:52AM

Steve isn't likely to wind down on anything until the day when he gets that final defining spike from the great editor in the sky.

Date: April 07, 2019 06:06PM

Being downsized may be nature's way of winding down then when push comes to shove. From f/t to p/t (2 days week,) is a radical departure from what he'd been doing for his career.

He is 65. At his age under SS criteria he is in the last tier of those who can draw their full SS without age restriction. Had he been born one year later he would've had to wait until he was 66 and 2 mos. What a difference a year makes if you were born between 1954 and 1955.

Heck, given his options, taking his full SS doesn't look so bad.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 09:27AM

Full social security age for someone born in 1954 is 66.

"If you were born between 1943 and 1954 your full retirement age is 66. Remember, the earliest a person can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits will remain age 62. ... age 62, you will get 75 percent of the monthly benefit because you will be getting benefits for an additional 48 months."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:02PM

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:10PM

Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:03PM

He was definitely long winded with an attitude.
I kind of miss his posts.
Well, sort of...

Date: April 08, 2019 01:55AM

For better or for worse, we who gather will have to admit that RfM would not be what it is without that special one of a kind Benson factor.

To say that he lives on would mean more than just ressurecting old threads.

I would never presume to speak for Steve but I wouldn't be surprised to see him return to center stage here...….just to show off his humility.

Date: May 06, 2019 08:47AM

Rather, along with dozens of other Gannett parent-company employees, I was laid off in January 2019 in a nationwide cost-cutting move implemented by company headquarters in tightening times.

I tremendously enjoyed my 38 years with the Arizona Republic. It was my first official newspaper job, where I had the marvelous opportunity to work with patient editors, professional reporters and fellow commentators in addressing important issues of the day on the opinion pages of this nation's newspapers. Without that experience, I don't know where I would have landed so early in my desired career.

There is nothing more American than the freedom of the free-wheeling debate that occurs daily in the arenas of these indispensable forums, be they online or in print. To quote Neil Diamond, it is the "beautiful noise" of robust ruckus being made by We the People in response to the world around us. In the process of being engaged and enraged citizens, fights are known to break out. Real ones. Not the fake ones in the made-up "War in Heaven." Good for Old Glory. It goes with the territory. Ben Franklin, who himself was an editorial cartoonist for his own newspaper, the Pennsylvania Gazette, observed that "if printers were determined to print nothing til no one was offended, little would be printed." Hoorah!

For what it's worth and maybe even for what it's not worth, I remain an active editorial cartoonist, doing freelance work for the Arizona Mirror, the Phoenix New Times, the Freedom from Religion Foundation and anyone else who lacks taste and judgment. My cartoons remain nationally syndicated. It all keeps me busy and in constant trouble. As my dastardly doodler colleague Cal Grondahl, formerly of BYU and then the Deseret News (before he quit to move on the freer pastures) observed, "Editorial cartoonists throw the first punch in a bar fight, then stand back and watch everyone else join in."

I value the similar energetic and memorable times here on RfM, where we routinely engaged in dynamic and informative debates about actual, not priesthood-lesson-manual Mormon Church history, doctrine, policy, and the constant misrepresentations of same by LDS Inc. I hope we have managed to make a difference in the lives of those searching for firm facts over blind faith.

Through it all, it was my privilege to make wonderful friends here, to learn new things and to come to appreciate the tough but necessary job that this site's dedicated Admin crew does in providing such an important forum as RfM for those who are searching for truth; who are committed to protecting individual freedom of thought; who are determined to offer clear and convincing correction of demonstrable institutional religious abuse, error and deceit; and who are into disseminating empirically-demonstrable terra firms reality. I don't think that's too much to ask of people with brains, do you?

Carry on the good fight, folks. Be well and give 'em hell (For the record, that's a figure of speech that I don't mind using, despite being a staunch atheist. Besides, as President Harry S Truman was famous for saying, "I don't give them hell. I tell them the truth and they think it's hell.")

Perhaps we'll see you around here in the future. If not, it will perhaps be because of the whims of Nature, me being preoccupied, or my own stupid mistakes.

Cheers 'n beers!

(And, yes, Shummy, I'm humble--and proud of it).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2019 09:02AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 09:50AM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 10:19AM

Slow clap.

Thanks for setting the record straight and for all your punches.

Live well.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 01:24PM

You are greatly missed. Really, your contributions to this forum have been "off the charts" valuable. Please don't ever underestimate the great number of people you have helped....by infusing truth, detail, and common sense to the narrative. I think you are awesome! Thanks...
Bill Kinney.....Seattle, WA

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 06, 2019 01:46PM

There's nothing like the triple play of talent meeting intellect meeting purpose. Keep it going Steve!

Date: May 06, 2019 03:08PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.