Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:34PM

Perhaps we can calculate a percentage on this forum from an informal survey.

Of people who have permanently left the church, how many actually bother with officially removing records from the church?

I left the church 3 years ago and have not bothered to do anything formal or official. Not sure i care to bother with it.

Please comment if you have left the church and whether or not you officially removed records, or have done nothing official.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:37PM

I haven’t resigned (at least not yet).

The reason I haven’t: I feel that resigning is playing their game.

The reason I might: at times, I feel uncomfortable being associated with that horrible organization in any way.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:38PM

I am out but did not bother resigning. I wasted enough time on them. I’m done.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:41PM

I resigned officially..

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:42PM

I didn't bother. It was 30 years ago

It seems like resigning is playing their game and letting them decide if one is in or out, but back then resigning wasn't really a thing.

BYU sends me the alumni magazine but no one has ever bothered me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 08:50PM by shakinthedust.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:44PM

I made a grand ceremony out of it, and I shall resign again and again.

Date: April 06, 2019 08:59PM

Thats a great idea Kathleen.

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:27PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I made a grand ceremony out of it, and I shall
> resign again and again.

Oh too funny!!! You go girlfriend!!!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 08:53PM

I officially resigned as I wanted to be off their rolls AND be able to say that is what I did.

I did it the old-fashioned way, not on line, and it took time, but every minute was worth it!

I can say this....I did not choose to be in the MormonCult as I was indoctrinated to be baptized at eight when I DID NOT know in any shape or form what the hell being a Mormon meant.

Buttt, I did choose to leave this lying, dangerous, hurtful cult!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:10PM

If you were given a baby blessing, they consider that enough to call you a "member". I stopped going to church after my first son had a baby blessing. He was contacted by Jr high classmates at school.
They were cool about it when he explained that he has never attended church nor baptized. Has not been hassled since.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:11PM

5 official letter resignations, here. I wanted to resign officially, and I resigned my minor children, also. I had nothing to be ashamed of. I didn't want any threat of excommunication, as I valued my integrity and my business reputation.

At first, I was going to leave quietly, and never again allow the Mormons to tell me what to do. But they wouldn't leave me and my children alone, and they harassed us at our own home, until we finally resigned. It stopped about 80% of the stalking.

I loved writing the letter, describing exactly WHY we resigned. I kept copies of it by the door, to hand to missionaries, other Mormons, and even the Deacons, then close the door on them. I wonder if anyone read it.

WTG, Kathleen! I might resign again, too, just for the joy of it!

Posted by: LeftTheMorg ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:26PM

I didn't bother to resign.

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 09:48PM

I resigned letter style in the late 90s. I did my wife's at the same time; wrote the letter for her. Didn't have to mess with my 3 sons, as I was out enough from about 1980 on that I was determined to not have them involved in the church. We had our 1st child in 1991. Stoically turned down many offers to have family bless him/them.

I knew from long experience that we were going to keep getting home and visiting teachers coming by if we didn't resign. The last HT was/is a nice enough guy, but I was done standing in the doorway turning down the invitation to come to church. Probably the best decision of my life.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:03PM

I resigned years ago, but have read from many sources that you can't have your records removed, because the church apparently wants to keep them forever.

The way I see it, getting rid of all that landfill is THEIR problem, not mine. I don't worry about it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:10PM

I left 30 years ago

Never resigned

The church thinks I'm dead!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:15PM

I resigned. My one and only regret is I did not do it sooner.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:38PM

I have not resigned.

How do we even know that ghawd recognizes "civil resignations" based on American case law?

For all we know, ghawd doesn't pay any attention to something he has nothing to do with. We joined and as far as he's concerned we can never take off our spiritual dog tags!!!

He's watching you and taking notes!!

Date: April 06, 2019 11:05PM

And furthermore, how do we know there is a Gawd?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 11:06PM by saucie.

Date: April 07, 2019 12:13AM

Huh! So no one's watching us? I'm doing all these good deeds and no one is keeping score?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:48AM

Anyone can ban whoever they object to from coming to their home. Doesn't matter if the offensive person goes to a church or not. Doesn't matter if that church assigns them an assignment of some kind.

Churches don't have a right to trespass on private property. Tell them to stay away and they must comply.

I put this reply in the wrong place. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 01:02PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:51PM

Inactive 17 years, never going back but haven't resigned yet. Will do someday I imagine, just haven't bothered to yet.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: April 06, 2019 10:56PM

DW and I resigned in 2011.

Date: April 07, 2019 12:52AM

As of right now, this post, the informal survey is at exactly 50/50 between those who formally resigned and those who did not.

Posted by: Bradrdh ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 02:31AM

I bothered to resign. I want NOTHING to do with that insidious evil cult.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 04:34AM

The mormon church owns the records and moves them to another file whenever anyone resigns.

They refer to them in case someone wants to rejoin later and when they dead dunk former members they want to reclaim.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 05:25AM

I resigned when the church was calling my siblings trying to find me. My TBM sister was nice enough to let me know and didn’t rat me out. She was kind of pissed the church called her. She told them he wants no further contact with the church and hung up.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:30AM

Name removal is their BS policy in the CHI. I didn't play their game by their rules. I exerted my own power over them, telling them that I resigned. It felt good. I didn't ask them to remove my name, I dictated to them that I was no longer a member and I would no longer allow them to treat me as a member. They tried their little game of sending me a letter that it was an ecclesiastical matter for my local bishop. I responded to that by telling them that as I was no longer a member, their attempt to treat me as a member with their ecclesiastical nonsense was a violation of the law and of my first amendment rights of religious freedom. I told them that any further attempts to treat me as one of their members would result in legal action against them. Their response was to send me the final out letter. I keep it and if they ever try again to treat me as one of their members, I will use that final out letter as a legal document to drag them through courts and the media until they are shown to the world to be the cult that they are. That final out letter from them is one of the most important pieces of paperwork I have.

Posted by: sunstoned ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:11AM

I officially resigned when the POX came out. I will not be part (even if inactive, they still count you) of an organization that preaches hate and intolerance.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:20AM

I resigned.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:58AM

I resigned, as did my older brother.

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:01AM

I resigned, husband didn't feel the need to.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:04AM

I officially resigned. It was my way of letting them know that I didn't want my name being associated with them in any way.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:16AM

I resigned

Posted by: Chipsandsalsa(not signed in) ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:06AM

Husband and I did. We were told by our overzealous home teacher that unless we did he had the "right and authority" to come visit us. Even when we told him to not come back.

Date: April 07, 2019 11:27AM

Wow!!! And the 3rd time he violated the restraining order you got against him and the church and was arrested, followed by your civil action against him and the church, would that heavenly Right and Power still be his to do as ghawd wanted him to do?

I gotta side with the HT! We're talking about his eternal duty!!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:00PM

Did he raise his arm to the square?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 12:03PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:13AM

I resigned officially late 90's

Posted by: sunnyday ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:40AM

I officially resigned via letter using instructions from this site in December 2015. Although inactive for 40 years, their anti-gays policy was the final straw. I had to resign to show support for our daughter, who’d told us she was lesbian when she came home from college on Xmas break that year. She went with me to the post office to mail it. My husband is a never-mo with lots of mormon siblings. We live in an area that’s probably one-third mormon, so she had mormon friends growing up here. It was a big deal for me to officially renounce the church.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:13PM

I had the same attitude of I was going to play by their rules and I didn't plan on ever resigning. When my daughter again had a huge argument with me about going back to church (on Christmas Eve no less), I decided it was time I let her know I meant business, I resigned. My nonmo boyfriend was concerned as he knows I don't take emotional issues very well and he sent me all the e-mails I'd ever sent talking about not ever resigning, but I did it anyway.

It was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I have NEVER HAD ONE MOMENT OF REGRET.

The bishop at the time was a friend of mine and he came by with a cinnamon roll and told me he wouldn't try to talk me out of it because he had seen some of what I had been through. My ex also resigned at the same time. He talked to my daughter about me resigning and we have never discussed it. It has been many years now.

For me, it really actually gave me some peace.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:13PM

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:18PM

I resigned.

Posted by: blakes ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:43PM

I officially resigned. My daughter did, also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 06:45PM by blakes.

Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:58PM

Ok AW good survey.
I have not resigned. I was first generation Mormon and was responsible for my children,step children and wives (at the time) in becoming Mormons.
We are all out now; none have formally resigned.
I told the leaders of my church that I was done and not to bother me.When I get the occasional phone call or social media message from missionaries I usually tell them I resigned.
That way when they try and share their testimony to me; I share my "untestimony" to them.

Posted by: Jacktired ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:38PM

14 members of my family have left over the last 10-25yrs. Not one of us has bothered to resign and most likely never will.

We just stopped going and that's it.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:51PM

I officially resigned. It has kept members and missionaries away. My TBM sister has to leave her voicemail full so she won't get messages from other members.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:52PM

I resigned. I couldn't stand the thought of being counted on the rolls of such a bigoted organization. It's embarrassing to belong to any hate group, even if you're born in it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:55PM

I have not resigned and they have not excommunicated me.
I am still a mormon priest.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:44PM

In 1997 my beloved and I resigned from the Church but hadn't been in a Mormon Church for 19 years. It took seven months and three letters and a phone call before it was done.

Some Bishop we have never met here in the town we live called and asked us to reconsider leaving our names on the Church. We both said "No."

He then asked me again if I wouldn't please reconsider leaving my name on and I repeated, "No." He said, "You can be as inactive as you like but can't you leave your name on the records?" I repeated, "No." Then added, "Leaving my name on the records would suggest that I condone the teachings and practices of the Mormon Church and I don't so please have my name removed."

Postscript....I must really have the Mormon out of me :-) I didn't even remember until this evening when I saw the date on the calendar that this weekend was General Conference which is what brought me back to the board tonight but I don't expect there was anything new from conference, just more of the same.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:35PM

Exmo, but wife and I not resigned. We don't want to resign and have some jackass from the church contact our family and tell them. It's not worth the possible family drama and we don't feel like we are being dishonest with ourselves.

Also, spouse is highly connected in business with LDS Inc., so though we are Exmo we keep it quiet around business contacts.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:10PM

Left the church 37 years ago. Resignation wasn't an option then, only excommunication. Moved several times.In 2002 they found us and started showing up at our house despite telling them to leave us alone. That same year I found RFM and we resigned. Our son resigned a few years later. Our other inactive child died. Two siblings left, but I don't know if they ever resigned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 11:21PM by Phantom Shadow.

Posted by: felix ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:51AM

I'm resigned as of about 20 years ago.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:57AM

Went totally inactive April 2008, resigned November 2015.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 06:09AM

Haven't officially resigned. Not totally out either as the wife and kids still like going to church. (My wife is not a believing member, and fully recognizes all the flaws in the church, but still likes going). But outside of the occasional branch activity, and going once every few months, I am out mentally and do not consider myself LDS anymore. I even start my day with a couple of cups of that evil drink.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 07:58AM

Resigned in 2013.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:53AM

Resigned in 2002.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 10:58AM

Resigned in 2007.

I started to learn the most troubling aspects of Mormonism in 2004, and tried to recommit myself to the cause in 2005 with no success. In 2006, I could only stomach going to sacrament meeting, and eventually went fully inactive. After becoming the target of a reactivation effort by the missionaries and deciding on a different path for my spiritual journey, I resigned in April of 2007. Wow, 12 years ago. That's something I've never regretted.

Posted by: KJ not logged in ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:16AM

My birthday gift to self...

I resigned 15 years ago.

My DH resigned about 20 years ago.
My nephew resigned many years ago.

My kids were never baptized. But I included them in my letter.
Why? They were blessed as babies & I didn't want them listed as
members.....just in case.

I'm waiting for my brother to resign.
Also I have a sister who goes to another church so she's not
a member....but still on the member list.

KJ

Posted by: Stupor O. Thought ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:17AM

I resigned in August 2004. I left at least 10 years previous. I started being contacted again by my assigned home teacher. I had already moved on with my life and sure didn't need mormonism in it. Once contacted, I decided I NEEDED to remove my name so that my husband and son wouldn't be bothered by my father's errant choice to convert to TSCC. Since my 38th birthday had just passed, I got to looking for my baptism certificate. I purposely sent in my letter of resignation on my 30th anniversary of my baptism. As a matter of course, it took about 2 months to get my final letter. The bishop deemed it necessary to show up on my doorstep. He wanted invited in, but I wouldn't do it.

Date: April 08, 2019 11:24AM

Wow, it looks like the majority of commentators here have resigned formally.

I simply don't care and I don't want to take the time to bother with it.

Maybe if the church starts bothering me with visits etc, then i may deem it necessary. For now, i fly under the radar.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:32AM

Resigned by letter in 2012.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:41AM

I resigned in 1991 after my big sister goaded me out of my jackmormon complacency.

All hail to Mr Norman Hancock of Mesa Arizona whose epic assault on the vindictive and entrenched Mormon rules that offered excommunication as the only way to leave made it possible to resign with a simple letter.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:52AM

Resigning is a personal thing. I did it to make a point to my daughter. It actually was a good thing for just me psychologically, a feeling of freedom that it gave me. For me, it has nothing to do with the church or whether others should resign or not.

IF you think it will stop the mormons from bothering you, you would be WRONG. After all, we are on their list of potential brownie points.

I hate to say my favorite neighbor invited me to the R.S. dinner recently and had her kids invite me to the Christmas dinner. If she wasn't such a sweetheart (and I don't mean this in mormon terms), then I would be really irritated. It bugs me and I want to tell her to please stop doing it, but I haven't yet. They did use her son to come with an older guy as ministers to my house a few months ago and I then left a note for the bishop (who lives next door on the other side) to LEAVE ME ALONE, that I HAD RESIGNED. I don't think he knew. I really don't. Not by how he acted. He was all apologetic and told me he'd tell everyone to leave me alone.

But resigning does not stop them. There are so few that they can give referrals for now (per another thread) that I'm sure my name and my ex's will continue to be their source of referrals.

Posted by: Ladybug not loggede in ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:58AM

My plan was to not resign while my mom was still living. However, When my 10 year old daughter was receiving things in the mail (after I asked them not to) AND a boy from her SS class came to the door with brownies and a BOM, I had enough. I resigned as well as my minor children who were still at home.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:14PM

Officially resigned.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:20PM

Most don't resign. Millions don't! we can

Inactive for decades, I was finally faced with the truth - looking the racehorse in the teeth - and forced-resigned to resign. Was resigned. I Resigned.

Still, the ole' person forcing the issue calls me a Mormon. Old habits die hard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.