Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 05:39AM

Kindly state your age, what made you happy when you were a faithful member of the scam, and what makes you happy now.

ME: age 65

THEN: Going to the Temple, being unable to find a parking space and changing my mind.

NOW: Standing for hours playing craps, sipping free Chardonnay, breaking even after losing most of my original stash, then walking out when I (thankfully) reached break-even.

(It happened last Sunday)

How great was my joy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:21PM

What made me happy back when? I don't know really. I believed because it was what I was raised with. I liked reading (not church stuff), going to movies, spending time with my brothers and then my niece and nephews, finally getting married and having kids.

Now--my kids and my dogs. I still like movies, reading, shopping, buying things for everyone in the family.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 12:50PM

Age 65

As a TBM: Baseball
Now: Baseball

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 01:00PM

I was thrilled to be rid of it! That certainly made me happy.

Since then, I'm happy to be free, to have time to do whatever I want. I'm happy to enjoy books, music, nature, writing, friends, non-mormon family, going out to eat, and puttering in my home.

Posted by: Valium and Pepsi ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 03:14PM

Well...when I was a TBM, I was happiest on Sunday night, until Saturday night. Saturday night I had to get ready (lessons, music, etc) for Sunday. Sometimes there were Saturday rehearsals. Sunday mornings, it was difficult to drag out of bed, argue with the kids because they hated church, get everybody fed (we never fasted), dressed according to "code" and there on time.

What made me happy as a Mormon was ordering pizza delivery for Sunday dinner! It was my personal rebellion against the inequity of men and women, and against my Mormon ex-husband, who lived off of my income, and who bullied me into slaving in the kitchen on Sunday, and fixing him a big fat Sunday dinner, instead of resting or having fun.

Free of my Mormon ex, the kids and I would put on our play clothes, and play in the yard, go for a hike, go to a movie, hang out with non-Mormon friends, or do whatever we wanted. We would celebrate church being OVER! We had a whole great week ahead of us before we had to go back there again! We had a happy life of school, my career which I actually enjoyed, skiing, tennis, bicycling, baseball, soccer, dance, music lessons, reading, pets, family, etc. In the real world, we were treated well, and felt successful. At church, we were "the broken family". I became marginalized, because I was a divorced single working mother. It was like the Mormon ward members didn't know who I really was. I was happy to be single, but I was never immoral. I made as much or more money than a lot of the men in the ward, but I was honest, hard-working, and dedicated to my clients. At church, I was treated like dirt, and I didn't want to be dirt. Worse than dirt, I was maligned and blamed for being divorced, constantly harassed to date and marry another Mormon, and the kids and I were threatened that we would be separated in the Hereafter. We were good people, trying hard, but we could never be good enough for the Mormons.

Now I'm not Mormon, I like "not going to church" as much as ever. I still like all the good things we do in our everyday life.

Now, weekends make me happy, instead of anxious and depressed, and we look forward to them, and make plans.

When I was a Mormon, a TBM friend and noticed that most of our Mormon women relatives and friends were on some kind of antidepressant, or a tranquilizer. Our callings exposed us to large groups of Mormon women, all over the Region. We took a personal census single and married women in our SLC Region, and at BYU, over a period of years, to find out how many Mormon women were on drugs--that we knew. (This was before the official studies that showed Utah as being the #1 state for prescription drug abuse.) We suspected this to be true in small cliques of women here and there, but we were shocked at how huge this problem was! Valium, Lorazepam, Ambien, Prozac, Zoloft, Imapramine, Lithium, Depacote, Vicodin and Percocet were popular. These TBM women said their meds made them HAPPY.

The main "upper" was caffeine. It makes sense that the Mormons are accepting of caffeinated sodas, because MOST of the women admitted to guzzling diet cola all day long, to keep going. It's a difficult habit to conceal. I'm allergic to cola, so I went straight to coffee to get me through those Mormon Sundays. I would also carry chocolate in my purse, to eat during church. I needed it only on Sundays. Now I'm out, I don't take caffeine or chocolate, anymore.

I've learned to be happy just "being." Mormonism and perfectionism always made me believe that I had to always be progressing, always achieving, always serving the cult, in order to EARN the right to exist. Everything else was considered a waste of time. I had to work hard to earn conditional love from the Mormons, including my own parents. When I stopped paying tithing and quit my callings, the Mormons ended our friendships. I was of no use to them, anymore. Now, life is wonderful for its own sake.

The world is filled with love and happiness--and the Mormons are afraid that if people know this, they will leave.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 05:30PM

Age 70. Widowed 18 months ago. Resigned from the cult almost 7 years ago. My happiness comes from talking to my grandchildren, my children and my girlfriend....and beer. Religion plays no part in my life. Hasn't for 50 years.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:05PM

Age 69, living in sin with my hot babe

What made me happy then:

General Conference weekends
Stake Conference (we never attended these)
Hearing the speaker say, "in closing" as he wrapped up another boring talk
The closing song
The closing prayer
Dinner in the oven awaiting us to come home

What makes me happy now:

Not thinking about the mormon church
morning coffee
Drinking a cold beer with pizza

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 07:07PM by sunbeep.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:23PM

Yes, morning coffee, then and now! It's even better, now, without all the WOW guilt.

And, yes, always, my favorite times were the times I was not in church, and not doing any church projects or activities.

I've always been happy putting family, first, above everything else, and now that's guilt-free, too. Imagine feeling guilty as a mother, for not putting the cult ahead of my own family and friends!

The same things have always made me happy, only now we are rid of our family's major source of unhappiness and contention--the Mormon cult. All that torture was so unnecessary!

It's a cult of hate, threats, and despair. What a joy it was to find out it was all a hoax, and be able to escape!

Being free never gets old. I retire in a few years, and I will completely retire--not still remain as a lifetime slave to the cult--not go on a senior mission.

I enjoy anticipating my future, now. Before, thinking about what the Mormons had planned for my future, depressed me.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:18PM

Oh, and coffee....lots if good coffee and good chats with friends.

Posted by: delbertlstapley ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:52PM

Age 61

Then - skiing

Now - skiing on Sunday

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:54PM

Nothing makes me happy. I am happy.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:21PM

Same thing that made me happy before, love, goodness, nature, getting beneath the surface,

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:40PM

Then: those rare moments I was free from church related stuff and could just be myself.

Now: having all my moments free from church stuff and being myself all the time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.