Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:11PM

....to counter perceived liberal bias"

I found this article really interesting on a number of levels:

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/conservative-bible-project-aims-rewrite-scripture-counter-perceived-liberal-bias-article-1.431955?fbclid=IwAR1PMSJx-2qXwoOVWAd75UqD1j6u_Lowr14CWK6VjQvxULYLEoygvQhT7Qc

I am posting this because I am interested in the evolution of religious texts over time. [For me: primarily Jewish, Hindu, and Christian texts.]

Please be careful to not include partisan political references or allusions in any responding posts. Thank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 06:23PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:24PM

People go to great lengths to make sure God agrees with their own views.

Date: April 07, 2019 06:25PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> People go to great lengths to make sure God agrees
> with their own views.

This is often very true. :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:27PM

And jesus will be a blue eyed blonde aryan type.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 06:45PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:11PM

"Schlafly's project is distinctive, though, because non-experts collaborate Wiki-style on the Internet to produce their version."

Those non-experts could take direction from Joseph Smith on producing "scripture."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:52PM

It must be a very satisfying feeling to KNOW what ghawd really meant to say.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:00PM

This was how the Nicean council did it to begin with.

Date: April 07, 2019 08:07PM

And christianity was the only religion voted into existence.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:08PM

The passage "father forgive them for they know not what they do" I've never thought of that as liberal? And now he want's to yank this verse out? It's probably the most important verse in the bible aside from John 3:16. I'm guessing he want's to put in qualifiers as well.

Such as:
"God so loved the world (but especially those that paid their taxes, that followed the bretheren, that made the poor go to work...) that he gave his only begotten son...

(I like this post from Tevai, but I'm not sure how not to get 'political' when this article is political?)

Date: April 07, 2019 08:34PM

macaRomney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (I like this post from Tevai, but I'm not sure how
> not to get 'political' when this article is
> political?)

This is why I said: "partisan political." Partisan (in a USA sense) generally indicates what Americans would label political parties, or (in some cases) the practical tenets of those parties. Both the philosophical basis of political parties, and the tenets of those parties, are verbally expressed in different political PARTY ways, which will vary quite significantly by country.

On the other hand, "liberal" and "conservative" thought patterns appear (from psychological studies, etc.) to be essentially hardwired as the way individual brains work--of which brain function THEN generates a personal identification with a given political party.

"Liberal" and "conservative" brains, when being examined in action, work significantly differently from each other....and these distinct brain patterns are usually expressed as preferring, or being repelled by, different political party identifications depending on the nation a given person is a part of.

This article is about "liberal" and "conservative" THOUGHT PATTERNS (the actual, physiological, ways our brains uniquely "work"), not about the secondary action of (in an American sense) identification as a Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, etc..

These brain patterns, the differing ways our brains work when it comes to scriptures, is what this article is about, and what I, personally, am very much interested in.

I've been interested in this subject since I was a kid growing up, and now that I am an adult, there are some answers actually being discovered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_political_orientation

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 01:14AM by Tevai.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:49PM

"The passage "father forgive them for they know not what they do" I've never thought of that as liberal? And now he want's to yank this verse out?"

https://pics.astrologymemes.com/menso-ill-get-you-for-this-you-sons-of-bitches-29907265.png

Posted by: good grief ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 09:24PM

That King James was such a bleeding heart snowflake.

Liberals, walking on conservative lawns since 1611.

Date: April 07, 2019 09:27PM

Girlfromappalachia writes ...

" I apologize in advance for the language that may have drawn you here. I am not coming out in the sense that most LGBTQ have had to do so under heart rending and even dangerous circumstances. But I am coming out under my own heartrending and dangerous circumstances. I am coming out of an evangelical cesspool of hate. I am a person of faith who also believes in Jesus and the Christian faith and is NOT an evangelical. And is not or ever more will be a Republican.

I grew up an evangelical. I voted for Republicans and didn’t even know why. As an adult through life experiences and education I realized that not only was I not a Republican, but if I truly based my politics on the words of Jesus, I could NOT be a Republican. Especially not in the definition that the evangelicals have embraced under Trump.

Further I can no longer identify as an evangelical after the hate, discrimination and outright embrace of the politics of hate. Family and friends have already disowned me and unfriended me. All because I wrote the following in response to the Washington Post article (which I was told is a radical leftist paper). I am posting here as an intro to my new life. Yes, I know you are the big bad liberal left. The world I have just left has condemned me for it. But I have seen the love of Jesus in your actions that I have never seen in the religious right.

So here I am. A babe of what I understand can be called the Religious Left. Yes, I’ve read Jim Wallis. Yes, I adore the Rev. William Barber. And the ironic and sad part of my life includes the fact that my family history includes abolitionists of the Ohio Valley and today... includes some of the most unrepentant racists of the Religious Right you’ll ever know.

And the truth is I hate labels, but if I have to choose, I choose you. I believe Jesus would have chosen you if HE were here today. And I know in my heart there are many more evangelicals like me who are slowly but surely coming out too. We have to make our voices known. They are counting on that fact that we don’t. "

Date: April 07, 2019 09:28PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 09:29PM by Dave the Atheist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.