Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:16PM

Honestly never heard of Moses Lake, Washington.

Pago Pago, American Samoa
Okinawa City, Okinawa
Neiafu, Tonga
Tooele Valley, Utah
Moses Lake, Washington
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Antofagasta, Chile
Budapest, Hungary

With these new temple announcements, there are now 209 temples that are dedicated, under construction, or announced.

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/2019/04/eight-new-temples-announced.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chprro ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:33PM

Moses Lake, central Washington. Lots of members. About an hour from the Richmond Wa temple

Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:48PM

Richland, WA (Columbia River Temple, Tri-cities)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:49PM

By Golly, I actually know where Moses Lake is. I've been there and to George Washington too, which is close by. During the 4th of July, they had a giant cherry pie, enough for everyone to have a piece.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:54PM

I'm sure that Utah was greatly in need of another temple.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 12:46AM

and most of the Mormons are Jack Mormons --- used to be lots of Army and dead sheep - seems like folks in Tooele loved to come to Salt Lake just to get the hell away for a bit.

Posted by: Sharapata ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:55PM

Hey if Yuba City, California can get one, why not Moses Lake? I fully expect that the Elko Nevada Temple will be announced soon.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 11:15PM

Sharapata Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey if Yuba City, California can get one, why not
> Moses Lake? I fully expect that the Elko Nevada
> Temple will be announced soon.

Ha! Ha! Maybe Lovelock will get a temple too.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:20AM

My bet would be Battle Mountain, or maybe Ruth.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:56PM

People in Tooele can't drive to Salt Lake?

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:12PM

Tooele is about 35 miles from SLC. Bountiful Temple to SLC about 11 miles. South Jordan 16. West Jordan, 13. Draper 19. I think it's more about a reminder and intimidation (plus putting $$$ in the construction company coffers) than need. I live near the Draper temple, never seems to be much going on.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:15PM

Exactly. Cedar City is pretty close to St George too. Methinks this money could be better spent on, say, humanitarian projects.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 05:25PM

Now people outside of Utah will have to learn how to pronounce "Tooele."

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:12PM

Ta will ah . At least that is how us Tooele folks say it . A Temple in Tooele ? My Tooele temple is called Reds Tavern . I had to laugh when they announced a Mormon Temple in of all places Ta will ah

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 12:49AM

When the drivers had to take a load or pick up a load out there in the winter they used to draw straws

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:24PM

Tooele has a unique set of problems that the church is trying address. There's literally no culture there except walmart. The valley has over 100,000 freakin people living there and there is nothing to do. Everyone drives sr36 to Salt Lake to work every morning. They do their buisness in Salt Lake and shopping there. And then they come home on clogged highways to their little cheap houses with no yards every night and wake up the next morning to do it all over again. It's horrible!

Tooele has one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies and under age drinking in the State because there is nothing to do. And the kids all run wild. Maybe a Mormon Mc. Temple is a Start?

Date: April 08, 2019 10:43PM

There is plenty to do in Tooele Growing up in Tooele there was always a keg party happening . Taking a drive up Middle Canyon to smoke enough weed to be able to handle living in Tooele was also a favorite pastime .Nothing to do in Tooele ? plenty to do if you are a beer guzzling pothead like I was .

Posted by: ink ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 06:09PM

If you have played the game Civilization, you'll know that spreading religion can be done in several ways. One of them is with commerce, trade and buildings (monuments). I think this is what the church is doing.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:56PM

And by god, I knew it! I just felt that they would finally after all these years remodel the SLC temple and here they go.

They're going to do a "major" remodel on The Mothership.

The SLC temple is going to get a "major" remodel. As is all of Temple Square. Redoing the plaza that replaced main street too.

They just can't spend money fast enough can they?

Date: April 07, 2019 06:59PM

I wonder if they're going to continue their de-Josephification program by getting rid of (or hiding) that statue of JS receiving the priesthood from the original apostles or whatever it is

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 08:26PM

Last time I was in Salt Lake Temple 2004. It was original. The floors creaked. I wondered if it was actually very safe at all or if it might cave in during an earthquake. If they can reinforce the floors that would probably be a good thing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 06:58PM

Antofagasta, Chile!!! A city of 403,000 people, somewhat isolated, in northern Chile, surrounded by the Atacama desert.

The church claims a 03.3% slice of the Chilen population, but in their last census, Chileans 15 years and older who claimed mormonism totaled 00.9%. 00.9% of 403,000 is 3,627. So that's a very gross approximation of the mormon populace of Antofagasta. If they squeeze them in tight, you might get all of them into the new temple at one time!

In noodling around on Los Interwebz, I found an elder's blog, about his service in the Antofagasta mission. His letters home were the same old, same old, until I found this gem, which was a totally new one for me:

"This past week was a quick one! The week just flew and I dont have much to say for this week!!! Things are going good here!!!! We had a baptism in the district!!! A blessing really! What happened is that a inactive member returned back to the church and her church records didnt exist so she had to get re-baptized!!!!!!"

That is seriously an exact quote from his blog.

It's clear that los 15 afossils perceive a 'win' for every temple they announce. And I don't think they're all that concerned about pushing to get them built. Doesn't hurt, but no biggie if there are 'problems' that slow things up.

Yay more temples!!

Date: April 07, 2019 07:04PM

American Samoa makes the most sense out of this new group of announcements ... high member % and getting to Western Samoa requires a plane flight or boat ride. Also, A.S. can be visited by Americans with w/o a visa so it might be attractive as a vacation destination alternative to Hawaii.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:14PM

They're all about get the sheeple to pray pay and obey. They have so much money, what the hell are they going to spend it on?

Homeless shelters and soup kitchens?

.....crickets.....

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:17PM

I don't understand Japan at all.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:20PM

abby Wrote:
> I don't understand Japan at all.

I wonder if it's near the big U.S. military base (bases?) ... could be geared toward U.S. Mormon military members

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:44PM

Not knowing a darn thing about the current state of the church in Japan/Okinawa, I started noodling around again, starting with the missionary blogs. Apparently the Okinawa mission and the Okayama mission, both on the island, are no more and Okinawa is now part of the Fukuoka mission.

I checked out one elder's blog and found the same old, same old. One week he'll mention a couple of people who are headed for baptism and then the next weeks, not a word about them.

Then I found a three-year-old thread on Reddit about how the church was falling down on Okinawa, and why. It's good reading!

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/3kezta/tons_of_members_quit_in_okinawa_japan_stakes/

Things were heading south three years ago, including the need for a a 'Swedish Rescue', only the church didn't send anyone.

Again, the bottom line is that the church is going downhill on Okinawa and putting a Temple there is basically nonsensical.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:32PM

I was in the Okayama mission.

Back then, when I was there 89-91, there were 10 missions, Okinawa being one of them.

Then they moved the Okayama mission headquarters to Hiroshima, changed the name.

Then, a few years later, they absorbed it all into neighboring missions.

However that old mission home is still sitting next to the stake center in Okayama. It's close to a train station. I'd be willing to bet they'll build a temple there soon, which will be weird, because when I first walked up to the mission home when I was 19, I said to myself "someday this will be a temple" and now that they're building them like Starbucks, I'll bet I live to see the day.

It would be completely worthless, BTW. Nobody goes!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2019 02:40PM by Levi.

Posted by: Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:21PM

Hungary has 5.214 members on the rolls...

(Less than half are active, like everywhere else in the world...)

https://www.mormonnewsroom.co.zw/facts-and-statistics/country/hungary

One more McTemple to stand empty and useless.

But the cult has money to burn, so why not?

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:34PM

Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein Wrote:
> Hungary has 5.214 members on the rolls...
>
> (Less than half are active, like everywhere else
> in the world...)

Probably to take "pressure" off other central Euro temples in Germany and Switzerland or wherever the nearest one was and also take care of Eastern Europe I guess

Posted by: Lrd ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 04:49PM

anonyXmo Wrote:
> Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hungary has 5.214 members on the rolls...
> >
> > (Less than half are active, like everywhere
> else
> > in the world...)
>
> Probably to take "pressure" off other central Euro
> temples in Germany and Switzerland or wherever the
> nearest one was and also take care of Eastern
> Europe I guess

There are more LDS in Ireland or in Scotland yet neither has a temple.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:22PM

What about the temples Nelson keeps pulling out of his ass ?
that's a pretty weird place.

Posted by: Organized Chaos ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:37PM

I find this talk about new temple construction...very strange.

Posted by: ApostNate ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 07:40PM

San Pedro Sula Honduras has one of the highest murder rates in the world. Lots of dead peeps to get baptized for, I reckon.

Posted by: Primary Survivor ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:16PM

Great. We’re thinking of retiring to American Samoa in several years ...

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 07, 2019 10:36PM

My nonmormon friends lived there some years ago when my kids were about 8 years old (they are 33 now) and I visited them there. They were there for a very short time.

Posted by: Old Al ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 07:10AM

They should do Rapid City, SD or Knoxville, TN. At least they would have decent vacation spots there.

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 01:51PM

Thought Rapid City had already been announced for a temple. Hate to see the skyline of mountains and dinosaurs ruined by a temple though.

Posted by: Particles of Faith ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:29AM

They have one in Bismarck, ND...Rapid City should have been done before Bismarck.

Posted by: OneWayJay ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 12:44PM

Tooele valley?

Major center of weird cancer clusters. Dusty, Great Salt Lake minerals blowing in the winds hit health of everyone in the area big time.

From the old Army Depot to the burning of Biological and Chemical weapons - it is one sick place.

Date: April 08, 2019 10:52PM

As a native Tooelean I resemble that remark Tooele is a wonder oh hell you a right, the place is a dump.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:37PM

I hear you can wear a baseball cap and take a Big Gulp inside the new Tooele Temple. they will have cup holders.

Posted by: Lrd ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 04:46PM

I don't find the first three weird. A lot of LDS on the Pacific islands, and Okinawa is under heavy American military occupation.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 05:49PM

Claimed growth rate of membership in the 1.2%. McTemple growth rate seems much higher. How many are there?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 09, 2019 05:53PM

So with 8 new temples announced, the rate of growth of temples is 4%, about 3.3 times the growth rate of claimed memberships.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.