Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:30AM

Henry B. Eyring: "No man, however strong he may be in the faith, however high in the priesthood, can speak evil of the Lord's anointed and find fault with God's authority on earth without incurring His displeasure. The Holy Spirit will withdraw himself from such a man, and he will go into darkness."

Russell M. Nelson: "They need to understand that while there is a place for them hereafter, with wonderful men and women who also chose NOT to make covenants with God. That is not the place where families will be reunited and be given the privilege to live and progress forever. That is not the kingdom where they will experience the fullness of joy of never-ending progression and happiness. Those consummate blessings can come only by living in an exalted celestial realm with God, our Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and our wonderful, worthy, and qualified family members. I feel to say to my reticent friends, 'In this life you've never settled for second best in anything. Yet you resist fully embracing the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. You are choosing to settle for second best.' The Savior said, 'In my Father's house are many mansions.' However, as you choose not to make covenants with God, you are settling for a most meager roof over your head throughout all eternity."

I'll take my meager roof over the great and spacious conference center any day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:35AM

"... and our wonderful, worthy, and qualified family members."

That fool, Nelson!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:44AM

Leaving Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'In this life you've never settled for second best in
> anything.'

Yeah right, Nelson. Maybe on your planet. Most of us in the real world settle for whatever we can get. Second best, third best, forty-seventh best, so low on the "best" list it's actually on the "worst" list. Consistently getting second best would be amazingly wonderful. So would consistently getting tenth best.

And Nelson, the religion you run is far from the best, so shut the f*ck up.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:05PM

Great point! I have rarely had 2nd best, let alone 10th best.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 05:21AM

So basically Eyring was engaged in chest beating and Nelson was busy issuing threats.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 08:54AM

"never-ending progression" ... WTF does THAT mean ?

Date: April 08, 2019 03:06PM

Doesn't that mean that Gawhd himself is still progressing... but wait, I thought he was omniscient and omnipotent, how can that be?

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 06:12PM

omnipotent and omnipresent, omniscient even----nope, you're confusing the mormon deity with somebody else's.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 09:13PM

Sounds exhausting, or maybe like Sisyphus.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 08:59AM

The Grand Pharisee Parade was on full display this past weekend.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:30PM

Bamboozled Wrote:
> The Grand Pharisee Parade was on full display this
> past weekend.

The more thing change the more they stay the same.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 10:33AM

"We are to be revered, dammit! On your knees peasants!" Hahah I bet it's killing Eyring that he can't swear.

And Nelson. Such bluster! They threaten, blackmail, and intimidate with such "kind words" as they use the love of your family in order to extort obedience.

The main reason to leave Mormonism is self respect.

Date: April 08, 2019 03:41PM

Done & Done Wrote:
> "We are to be revered, dammit! On your knees
> peasants!" Hahah I bet it's killing Eyring that
> he can't swear.
>
>
> And Nelson. Such bluster! They threaten,
> blackmail, and intimidate with such "kind words"
> as they use the love of your family in order to
> extort obedience.
>
> The main reason to leave Mormonism is self
> respect.

Oh yeah. It's all about families. Obey every word we usher or you will lose your family. We are the Lord's anointed!

All I can say is power corrupts and power corrupts absolutely. Funny. These guys couldn't stand church lessons just being focused on the savior. No. They have to have their conference talks and quotes as part of it. No you can't get close to God with Christ alone. You need President Nelson and Henry Eyring as well.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:06AM

This whole thing appears to be FEAR MONGERING

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:22AM

So, in summary,

Nelson: "No matter how good you are, you're losers if you aren't in our club."

Eyring: "Respect our authori-tah!"

And Mormons still think I left because I wanted to sin.

Date: April 08, 2019 03:09PM

Ah channeling Eric Cartman are we?

Date: April 08, 2019 03:34PM

ookami Wrote:
> So, in summary,
>
> Nelson: "No matter how good you are, you're losers
> if you aren't in our club."
>
> Eyring: "Respect our authori-tah!"
>
> And Mormons still think I left because I wanted to
> sin.

Snake oil salesmen. You need our covenants and ordinances to be exalted. Good works alone won't get your first place without being a member of our club and kissing our butts.

It' why the church is so fixated on ordinances and covenants. It's all they can sell. Just telling people to live a Christ like life doesn't pay well. It doesn't put the leaders in power like requiring a temple recommend to do the hoky poky does.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:30AM

I was treated worse in mormonism than I am out BY THE MORMONS. I've said before that I was treated the best ever in mormonism when I was with my ex and he was cheating with other men. What was God thinking? Mormons, for the most part, treat me really good now. The neighbors love me and their kids call me COLLEEN--not Sister Parkinson. I'm 61 and I love that they call me Colleen. The old bishop, how lives next to them, their kids also call me Colleen.

Anyway, just an example of your loving family--when I said to my sister that she would be the one representing me in the temple when my daughter got married, she commented, "And my 3 children will be outside with you, as well as ALL my grandchildren."

UMMMMM!

I remember Kirby's column about having to live with that sister-in-law you couldn't tolerate, etc. My sister, who still attends, but has always had issues with mormonism, said that if our brother and dad weren't in the CK, then she didn't want to go there. She definitely WILL NOT practice polygamy. It was an inside joke amongst all of us, me being a single mom for a while and needing someone in the CK (ha ha ha) and she would not ever allow me to share her husband (not like I'd want to).

It was all threats then? Nothing new then?

Did they mention the change in the gay policy?

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 11:32AM

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 01:55PM

Amazing how holding families hostage to silent critics is considered a socially acceptable non-profit.

Why can't they go old school Book of Mormon and just strike their critics "dumb?"

Date: April 08, 2019 03:12PM

Yeah, I have always thought that it was so convenient that it has only happened in the scriptures.

Date: April 11, 2019 02:58PM

Revelations, stuff in scripture, that is all sooooo 19th Century. Policy is the power now.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 02:42PM

Promising stuff will happen when you die is the 100% best business model/scam ever developed. If someone comes back from the dead and confirms Russ's delusion I will come back to church.

What a jerk trying to scare people about leaving the cult.

Date: April 08, 2019 02:57PM

perky Wrote:
> If
> someone comes back from the dead and confirms
> Russ's delusion I will come back to church.

I thought Jesus did. Isn't that what Joseph Smith said?

Date: April 08, 2019 03:16PM

Yes, intimidation is the real method for obedience. Whatever happened to love and compassion, you know, the way Jesus (assuming he was real) seemed to portray it... at least sometimes, love your neighbor and all that.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 03:23PM

'In this life you've never settled for second best in anything.'

Perfectly spoken from a 2nd, 3rd and 4th annointing recipient.

100% delusional~ Don't forget that he sold HIS first wife's blood to pay the bills. I doubt that he's ever gone without. Someone always gives up his/her lot to accommodate him.

Posted by: Ladybug not logged in ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 04:23PM

Once you are out for awhile, it just all sounds so silly.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 04:35PM

"wonderful, worthy, and qualified family members"

This is sick. Can you imagine being in a Mormon family (like me), where you have left the church. Russy is basically telling them that you, as a member of the family, you are not wonderful, worthy, and qualified.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 08, 2019 05:02PM

Winning through intimidation. This is an American business model that desperate corporations seem to adopt as they are going under.

LDS, Inc. is a nasty, greedy bully. That was our experience in the cult. Nelson and Eyring are showing their true colors, at last. We could always see through that phony, spiritual facade. Did Eyring cry when he told everyone to obey--or else God would withdraw from them, and they would be cast into outer darkness? How could he make such a nasty threat to a crowd of people?

My own bishop and stake president both gave me the exact same threats, when I became inactive, 12 years ago.

Those threats were their last-ditch attempts to force me to return, as I was walking away. The bishop was actually yelling these words, as I walked out the door. That's why I think the cult is getting desperate, to resort to these strong-arm tactics.

This has nothing to do with God, but with the Mormon cult leader's self-anointed "authority", and the members' obedience in paying money to the cult.

Yes, where's the love? Where is Jesus? Where's the charity work to help mankind?

I've always seen a discrepancy with these threats of eternal separation from family, eternal relegation to a lesser heaven,
and that dreaded outer darkness--in direct opposition with the Mormons' well-preached beliefs in "eternal progression." Don't the leaders see this? Evidently not, as Nelson mentions "never-ending progression" a few sentences before he threatens people with a "most meager roof over your head throughout all eternity." So, they can NOT progress out of the meager existence?

If there's no hope for the souls that do not accept the Mormons' authority and disobey their directives--then why have baptisms and ordinances for the dead? I mean, an apostate soul is forever separated from his family, anyway, right, so why bother with doing his temple work? There would be no point, as he is already doomed to be 10th best, or whatever, by the Holy Prophet Nelson Himself. Listen to the PRESENT prophet, right?

Nelson has just negated the whole premise of doing temple work for the dead!

In my mind, the Mormon double-speak is nothing new. Besides the principle of "eternal progression, I remember being taught about "Paradise", where souls will have another opportunity to learn The Gospel.

What about the old-time Christian belief in God's forgiveness? Well, that's out the window. No mercy!

How can the Mormon cult call itself Christian, when they don't believe in Christ's Atonement? Christians believe that Jesus Christ died to save us ALL.

Another thought: Mormons believe that the very most worthy tithe-paying-temple-goers and "our wonderful, worthy, and QUALIFIED family members" (judged thusly by the Mormons) will be rewarded with "the fullness of joy". Hey--Rusty--What about our other "un-qualified" family members? Every family has those. Rusty speaks out of two sides of his mouth, when he says Mormon families will be together forever. Do we just dump the unqualified, and move on?

Finally--which families would measure up to every member being qualified? Mormonism forces humility onto the sheeple, and most of them are too humble to think they would be perfect enough for the Celestial Kingdom, righteous enough to be sharing the Kingdom with Joseph Smith, the other prophets and their many blessed wives, even Russ Nelson and his wives? Remember, in Mormonism, blessings = wealth, and who has that kind of money? A person would have to be very arrogant to feel they are on that level. You would think the rest of the sheeple would just give up! Why go through all that temple rigamarole for nothing? Would they give up living in the Mormon heaven, for that one beloved lost sheep in their family? Jesus would direct them to go after the lost sheep.

I deliberately stopped attending the temple, though I still had callings and paid tithing. Waiting for me on the other side of the veil in the Mormon hereafter were two other sister wives, married to a horrible wife-beater who almost killed me! I choose an alternative Heaven.

Am I overreacting?

Cl2, you are right that Mormons treat you badly when you are a member. I'm happy being shunned, because the harassment has stopped. I, also, was treated better when my Mormon (tithe-paying) husband was cheating on me with other women. His brother was cheating also, but he was the bishop, and the brothers were charismatic. After my sister-in-law and I got divorced, we were as faithful as ever, but we lost all our Mormon friends. We were no longer "wonderful, worthy, and qualified." None of them would know us or visit us in the hereafter, so why bother with us now, right.

Outer darkness, NOW!

The Mormon arrogance, elitism, judgments, and cruelty extend on from the pre-existence throughout all of life, and on into the hereafter, for time and all eternity.

I hope others on RFM are having better success at extricating Mormonism from their soul, and flushing it out of their lives, than I am. Sometimes I don't think I'll ever recover from it.

Sorry for the rant. I have a grandchild being baptized this weekend, and I know what that cult will teach him about me, his grandma who loves him dearly, and who has (tried to be) kind and devoted. I know...self-pity and outrage...ugh.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 02:50PM

I'm happy to be among the ranks of the unqualified family members. Maybe I should wear a name tag to family get togethers just so they know who he's talking about!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.