Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 02:05AM

but there are a LOT of stupid fundies out there, and many of them have the right to vote, and a lot of them DO so.

The Religious Right "agenda" scares me. Remember "Jesus Camp?" Make no mistake, they are making a point of raising young conservatives before the kids have developed critical thinking skills. Granted (and thank goodness) a lot of those kids will rebel and come to see reason, but not all of them will.

The older I get, the more the Religious Right scares me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:21PM

And AoG is a friend of mine. I think the goal wasn't to lull people into a sense of security but to point out how these people continually shoot themselves in the foot (and other parts of their anatomy), and progress is somehow accomplished, albeit in zig zag fashion.

And clearly there's reason for action and activism against such sorts; the wingnuts certainly aren't relaxing (and thank goodness they aren't, or I wouldn't have any material for my humor), and it's important to expose their tactics, be it homeschooling, "wedge tactics," I.D., or Glenn Beck's disingenuous "hucksterism."

The moderates generally have the opportunity for honesty, and the extremists must either resort to dishonesty or "codespeak" to conceal their agendas.

Some of us have learned to keep our blowtorches and pitchforks handy and shed light on that stuff...

Of course the "make nice" crowd is always trying to elbow their way to the center of attention; a certain poster here comes to mind here who repeatedly engages in pathological nurturing and subtly invalidates what we can clearly happening.

AoG is not one of that crowd, however, I promise...

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:58PM

to find one addressed to me!

The Cabbie puts it right. We zig zag in our progression to a more perfect union, but we do make progress over time. Even though those old dinosaurs in the Senate and the morg, for example, stand in the way of repealing DADT and extending marriage rights, the people of this country generally don't support them. They are playing to the fearful and noisy 30%, who do vote in their little part of the election, but get washed away in the general elections. If enough of everybody else votes. Voting matters!

Here's something I really am afraid of, though, and that is that we seem to have allowed ourselves bit by bit to share our country, culture, and governance with corporations until, who knows? Have they taken over?

Corporations by their very nature under the law are psychopathic. They have no anxiety, no conscience, and by law are only out for their own profit. There is absolutely no legal obligation for them to consider the common good and very little ethos for that either! Only when public opinion holds their feet to the fire do they give up dumping hazardous waste, polluting the air, hiring children as labor, abandoning cities they made promises to. Interestingly, major corporations fund the 30%'s fear of same-sex marriage, etc. (Boooo!) and mobilize them for their own economic interests.

I have learned that the only defense one has in dealing with psychopaths and sociopaths is to run away fast. But how do you run from McDonald's, Target, BP, etc.?

The morg is the same. Can anyone (who has made it this far in my rant) point out anything the morg does for its members' benefit--in this life, I mean? The morg has been the biggest psychopath in most of our lives here on this board.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.