Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 12:21AM

Seems to me that people usually attend church to learn about their religion, and they, you know, expect those in charge, whether it be a priest or a bishop, to fulfill that role. I cannot imagine that tons of families are holding their hour of teaching each Sunday.

Plus, the MormonCult already has Family Home Evening.....well, at least some members hold FHEs where religion is the theme.

Also, Bednar quoted someone who suggested members should report in Sunday School what they had learned at home.

So, is this new assignment on Sunday family teaching because the church is loosing members and mishies, and is it slyly saying that their church teaching is not cutting the mustard so they must supplement in homes?

Oh heavens, it could not be that the correlation curriculum is redundant and boring to members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 12:24AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 01:47AM

Nothing is working the way they want it to work. Nothing is likely to work. In the meantime, they just want to save money on gas, electricity, sewer costs and wear and tear on their real estate, so it makes sense to reduce the amount of time the sheep spend in the church's buildings and have them do stuff at home.

It's like a sweatshop factory owner who realizes that the type of product that they make in his factory can actually be manufactured in the factory workers' own homes/hovels/cramped living quarters.... So to save money, the factory owner changes the arrangement, telling the factory workers that they are now responsible for making the products in their own living spaces and also responsible for delivering their finished products to the factory owner, who may or may not pay them, depending on whether he is satisfied with their work.

Tithing has always been a hard sell to people who are not hard of thinking. But even for the cognitively challenged devout Mormons still active in the church, you have to wonder if at some point they may start consciously questioning why tithing is necessary.

"Hey, we need you to pay tithing so that the Lord's Church can continue functioning. But you are also increasingly responsible for conducting church functions in your own homes, using your own resources AFTER you have paid your tithing to the church leaders. The church leaders are responsible for using the tithing money any damn way they want to use it and if you question that, well, you're definitely on the path to hell...and a horrible, horrible hell at that."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 02:10AM

I’m hearing not much has changed. Home teaching is now ministering without the monthly reporting. There of course are still the interviews where you have to account for how you are helping those you are assigned to minister. Forced socialization never works. A minority of the members will actually do ministering the way Russ wants it done.

Come Follow Me home study will be like reading the Book of Mormon. Most members won’t do it. They might do it a bit in the beginning and then blow it off. Of course it’s easy to bullshit in church what you are learning.

Like most church programs, it’s just another program in a whole endless sea of programs and it won’t change a thing.

Date: April 11, 2019 02:21AM

Actually the real reason for a so called home based church is the church leaders assume the church isn’t growing and losing members because of a lack of personal testimony.

So they have created a program to motivate the members to study the correlated gospel topics at home. Oh my we might want to start following the manual at home because everybody in the family are going to be asked questions at church.

Instead of falling asleep during a boring lesson, members will be put on the spot to share what they learned that week at home in primary, in Sunday school, in young men’s and women’s, in Relief Society and in Elder’s Quorum.

The kids will go, daddy we are supposed to read the lessons as a family. They are hoping that pressure from the kids and the wife and the dog will force the whole family to read church correlated materials at home and then everybody gains a testimony and stays in the church.

It’s a nice dream and it won’t work.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 07:30PM

I think that church leaders realize that they are losing their next generation, and are scrambling to come up with solutions. "Home church" is just another way of applying family pressure to younger members to stay in. It won't work, of course.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 02:15PM

They need juicy, shoot'em video games to learn various segments of the mormon gospel! They need scantily clad vixens being baptized while flaming arrows fly in from the enemy!

Devils, angels, flame throwers, machine guns, close in gruesome bayonetting!

Living the mormon gospel ain't no walk in the alps, picking edelweiss!

Date: April 11, 2019 04:20PM

You best market this idea before the 15 beat you to it (and it will include their special edition for their viewing only which has the enticing vixens roaming about).

My only problem with the set-up is that as an ex-mo it sounds way too much like the theme of the BofM, wars and more wars, but a lot of people luv that so there you go.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 02:45PM

It isn't working well for older members, the empty nests.

My Mom actually laughs when I suggest that she call her apostate son to go over her assigned lesson. She says the program offers her nothing.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 03:07PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She says the program offers her nothing.

It is working out for me. While the kids are away my wife, if she is studying it, I don't see it or get bothered by it on our Sundays. Working out great!

Date: April 11, 2019 06:11PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> messygoop Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > She says the program offers her nothing.
>
>
> It is working out for me. While the kids are away
> my wife, if she is studying it, I don't see it or
> get bothered by it on our Sundays. Working out
> great!

Haha! Well if it's really a home based church now, that means all church meetings should be canceled and the church meeting house and temples are sold and the church is just a website full of study materials.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 11:02AM

IKR?

My kid is on a mission in Central America. We can video conference her with Internet Cafes. They are in some of the remotest habituated places on the planet.

Temples ironically require actual people as proxies.

Date: April 11, 2019 04:22PM

Well golly-gee it sounds like this might be something your Mom puts on her shelf! Couldn't ask for more...or then again, maybe we could. (ha,ha)

Date: April 11, 2019 06:08PM

messygoop Wrote:
> It isn't working well for older members, the empty
> nests.
>
> My Mom actually laughs when I suggest that she
> call her apostate son to go over her assigned
> lesson. She says the program offers her nothing.

Haha! Right. What's the program? Mum reading her scriptures?

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 04:02PM

I have tried to make it very clear here that the reason why I am such a clueful sensible thinker is because the beloved Correlation program has groomed me and molded me into thinking the particular way I do. That's why when people read what I write here and say "gosh this Honest TB[long] person makes total sense in being so clueful, sensible, and non-delusional" and then they might decide they want to get themselves assimilated (or re-assimilated if their Correlation programming was incomplete) into this wondrous peculiar mega organization as they investigate for themselves whether its really true - i.e. the most honest and transparent organization ever.

Here's how it worked. As a toddler I had a super power testimony that the cheerios in Nursery were true. At some point I could've been drawn away into some other path in life. But what happened? Well the beloved Correlation program became the central vehicle for grooming me and teaching me how to process information. I learned several important concepts - obedience, more obedience, even more obedience, a lot more obedience, and then I learned something really super high priority in the organization - i.e. obedience :) We never had to worry about learning other concepts like thinking or asking questions because the holy Brethren do all the thinking for us on really important stuff. We just have to focus on obedience. Thus I'm able to have all my thoughts fully channeled into just being obedient to these overlords. Through baptism I underwent the symbol of getting my brain washed by immersion and then a symbol of an invincible bubble over my brain/eyes through this Holy Ghost gift. Its as if I have some special rose-colored glasses on me and thus I process information this wondrous way.

So now you make fun of this beloved Correlation program? Its my sacred cow. So I say "fetch you gosh darned piece of bullpoop - you should be sent to heck" as I eat my bag of potato chips and drink a Double Gulp of soda pop and make fun of you for consuming that super evil drink called green tea.

Date: April 11, 2019 04:30PM

I did not realize that you and the Correlation Program were such close buddies. Mostly I want to feel real sorry for you that such a thing "came to pass", but, in a way, you seem fairly happy in your obedience non-thinking. However, if you change your mind I know a group on the internet that would welcome you with open minds (and arms).

Wishing you a beautiful Spring day.

Posted by: Honest TB[long] ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 10:40PM

Gosh I feel so sorry for these people on RfM who have to live their lives with all those disgusting things like freedom, liberty, happiness, and joy. What a pity that they don't get to spend all their time focused exclusively on being more obedient and spending more time being strictly in compliance with the objectives of the beloved Correlation program.

Its sure nice knowing that everyone will clearly see how wonderful their lives can be if they join me in getting fully assimilated into this wondrous mega Church :) Thank heavens I'm not clueless and not delusional :)

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 04:45PM

Hello Presley,

I enjoy your posts and thoughts very much. :)

I wondered if they had difficulty getting members to accept a calling to teach SS every single Sunday for an entire hour? And that was why they got rid of the weekly SS class.

Along with the savings of closing the buildings a hour earlier.

As for asking questions about the home studying in "SS" (the new second hour, every other week) that wouldn't have worked in my ward. Because SS used to be held in a smaller room, with the teacher up front and a manageable number of students, around 25, in the room. Now the second hour is held in the chapel, with around 125 people including noisy kids. If they ever did call on people I doubt anyone could even hear the answer.

The new book which replaced the old Gospel Principles book was incomprehensible to me. It seemed like a list of questions and references to things to look up.

All came together to help me solidify my decision to leave though so its all good for me (convert).

Date: April 11, 2019 06:34PM

125 or so in the chapel along with crunchy cheerios and little voices....sounds like something I sat through before called SM. Fun to get the goods on how this program is working or not working, right?

All I can picture as a mother on Sunday (back in the day) when opened the home door after those hours in church, all I wanted to do was COLLAPSE! But no, that could not happen when kids needed to be watched, fed and watered. Was hubby there to help? Sometimes, but often not.

By the time I (or we) could sit for a minute or two and put our feet up, teaching church stuff was not what we would have done. That would have meant wrestling kids who would NOT be interested in doing that sh** again. For sure!

And, then it was time to make sure kids were ready for school the next morning, you know, homework, clothes and stuff, and then......if you were LUCKY!

YOU FELL INTO BED and did not move a muscle until you heard, "Mom! Dad!"

Date: April 11, 2019 07:12PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
> 125 or so in the chapel along with crunchy
> cheerios and little voices....

Yes! And often LOUD voices not LITTLE voices! And running around, and old folks coughing, and young kids on their cells, and everyone walking in and out. I doubt anyone 'learns' anything.

> All I can picture as a mother on Sunday (back inthe day) when opened the home door after those hours in church, all I wanted to do was COLLAPSE!

I can imagine. How moms get themselves and their kids cleaned up and organized and transported in their good clothes and sit for 2 or 3 hours and then back in the car and by then they're hungry again and you're supposed to teach them--more?

Hahah showed these Profit have never really had to do the work of raising a family.

BTW are you an Elvis fan, is that your handle? Have you been to Graceland? Just curious since I live a few hours from there.

Date: April 12, 2019 01:26AM

Loved your comment...."Hahah showed these Profit have never really had to do the work of raising a family."

Amen and Amen to that. Over and over they show their lack of knowing and caring, like when they call a thirty year old with three or even four young children to be a bishop. When I hear about this occurring, I want to grab the person responsible by the hair and have them be the "Mom" for two months or so (but, they wouldn't last that long). The poor wife is a weary, over-worked, depressed widow for the time her husband sits on the King Throne of the Ward. I'm not saying he is not overworked also, and yes, the whole scenario is a recipe for a marital disaster.

You asked about my handle. Yes, Elvis was my teenage heartthrob back in the day, and I still adore his voice, his music, his looks, and his smile. I have not been to Tennessee, but it's not because I haven't wanted to.

Enjoy your comments also, Mel. :)

Date: April 12, 2019 10:06AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
> they call a thirty year old with three or even four young children to be a bishop.

Yes. Our bishop had five children, I think the oldest was around 10. I agree it is ridiculous! Worked full time too.

> husband sits on the King Throne of the Ward.

Ha! Good one!

> You asked about my handle. Yes, Elvis was my
> teenage heartthrob back in the day, and I still
> adore his voice, his music, his looks, and his
> smile. I have not been to Tennessee, but it's not
> because I haven't wanted to.

A lot of people here are rabid Elvis/Graceland fanatics and go all the time. A friend of mine who is very handsome (tall, dark hair, blue eyes) lives in Elvis home town of Tupelo, MS, and he is constantly stopped by tourists for a photo, because they think he is related to Elvis. He always confirms that he IS indeed (just to make them feel happy). His photo is probably in thousands of Japanese homes. It's his inside joke.
>
> Enjoy your comments also, Mel. :)

:) :) :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 10:07AM by mel.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 05:23PM

Don't you understand; it is all about mind control and how much of your mind you wish to hand to a third party.
I have no problem with anyone who wishes to hand over control to someons else. Just make sure if you do it is voluntary and YOU decide how much control you are willing to give up.

Date: April 11, 2019 06:16PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> Don't you understand; it is all about mind control
> and how much of your mind you wish to hand to a
> third party.
> I have no problem with anyone who wishes to
> hand over control to someons else. Just make sure
> if you do it is voluntary and YOU decide how much
> control you are willing to give up.

It's all just like Mao's little red book issued by the Dear Leader. The only difference is your don't get thrown in a re-education camp at gun point. You just get excommunicated if you rock the boat in public.

Date: April 11, 2019 06:42PM

And about that MIND CONTROL. It is scary stuff. As I watch it in action with the MormonCult, with those I know and love under its clutches, it so makes me try once again to come up with someway to break them free.

So I do try, fail, and will keep trying.

Date: April 11, 2019 06:54PM

In my Mom's ward, they no longer host gospel doctrine in the chapel. Instead, it's held in the RS room. It's very crowded and there's a mad dash to get a cushioned seat. She said that the chapel was too big and people sat towards the back. The class was too spread out.

Date: April 11, 2019 07:17PM

messygoop Wrote:
> In my Mom's ward, they no longer host gospel
> doctrine in the chapel. Instead, it's held in the
> RS room.

Interesting. When I attended it was in the RS room, then with the new book and "come, follow me' and the end of the classes, the Bishop decreed the session would just be in the ward. I haven't been back and don't know if they changed it. I am not curious enough to ever risk the insults or shunning should I go back to find out!

I agree it is mind control. I don't want them to do that to me anymore though some people were nice. I don't like who I became, the obedient sheep, while in there, and the nasty people who felt they had a right to be that way to me.

The only way I would go back out of curiosity would be if I were invisible. And unfortunately, I'm not. :(

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 10:13PM

home study after the 2 hours, so how could they ask questions about the lesson they learned at home? I guess next week, but what little kid remembers come next week?

My daughter was not happy about the assignment and said that they would be doing it before church so they could come home and crash. She and her husband. No little kiddies yet, so we'll see how it goes if that ever happens. I don't know how she'll deal with being a mother!! She has NO PATIENCE for little children.

They used to guilt all the parents about FHE. Sure, my mom threw a fit now and then. Then my dad would yell at us all to come into the front room for FHE. We'd all be angry and he'd not be so happy himself, but he'd often tease us about it. I had to play the piano every time. Someone would read the lesson out of the manual. And we'd wait until 6 more months when mom would throw a fit again. We spent so much time out on the farm, I always thought why did our family need FHE? Well, I never realized it wasn't about family time.

Date: April 11, 2019 10:50PM

to dress up in their Sunday best clothes for these gospel activities that they're supposed to do at home?

Date: April 11, 2019 10:57PM

This home do-it-yourself program is a bit like going to a MacDonald's, ordering a Big Mac and--instead of getting a fully prepared burger--they hand you a plastic bag with some buns, "secret sauce", pickles and a frozen meat patty.

"Here you go! That'll be the usual price."

"Wha...what? It's all in pieces in a bag and the patty is still frozen!"

"Sure. Didn't you hear? That's the new policy. You have to cook the patty and put the burger together yourself at your own home or wherever. Just don't try to do it here."

"But you're charging the same price as you charged when we could get the fully assembled and cooked burger here."

"Yes we are. What's your point?"

Date: April 11, 2019 11:34PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> "Here you go! That'll be the usual price."
>
> "Wha...what? It's all in pieces in a bag and the
> patty is still frozen!"

Yes and it doesn’t matter if you don’t know how to cook (being a convert).

The disregard for the social aspect, the community... no activities unless you organize and pay for them yourself, and shortened ‘social’ time between class and sacrament (20 min down to 10) and the bishop urging not to dawdle.

They couldn’t have been clearer if they had said it in neon: you don’t matter and we don’t care what you want, just give us your money!

Excellent analogy, Wally!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 11:35PM by mel.

Date: April 11, 2019 11:21PM

Wally Prince Wrote:
> to dress up in their Sunday best clothes for these
> gospel activities that they're supposed to do at
> home?

That all depends on who wears the pants at home.

In Rusty's case, we'd have to ask Wendy :D

Date: April 11, 2019 11:38PM

messygoop Wrote:
> Wally Prince Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > to dress up in their Sunday best clothes for

I bet hardly anyone is doing these home classes.

Date: April 12, 2019 10:32AM

You're right mel.

Nobody is doing these classes at home, but if any leader asks then they are indeed learning at home. People lie.

I think that part of this home based church is the leadership's way of pushing back against what they consider slothful parenting. If church leadership could get away with it, they would openly call out the parents for the youth problem in the church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 10:33AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 10:16AM

Church at home ? Where have I heard this before ? Ah yes, it's FHE revisited once again.
What could go wrong ?

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 11:53PM

It seems like the members of the only one true church on earth really want less church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.