Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 08:05PM

He talked about losing his daughter 3 months ago to cancer. She was 67. He wept a bit as he talked about their daddy-daughter talk at her bedside a few days before she passed. He had tears in his eyes when he talked about missing her. I felt for him. My sister passed with cancer and my wife passed 2 years ago with ALS. So I understand the pain he must have felt.

Then Russ went to "she is doing work on the other side of the veil just like I have work to do here." Well, I am still struggling to figure out what my deceased wife would be doing on the other side. It's part of the grieving process. I was born and raised in the Church and have really found very little comfort in trying to put death and dying and the other side of the veil stuff into some kind of meaning. So I feel guilty as he has it together and I do not.

I have watched him and Wendy. He seems to have thrown his deceased wife, the mother of his kids under the bus. Maybe he and Wendy know something about the other side I do not know. Does his deceased wife know that Wendy is front and center and she was not? Is she okay with this? My wife would be horrified if I remarried and had a wife that was the center of attention like Wendy is. They should a video during one of his talks when he was in Rome. Wendy was sitting on the stand with her arm around him with her mouth to his ear. Maybe I am jealous but my wife would be horrified if that was me as a Church leader. She will always be number one in my book. If he knows something about the other side of the veil and how women view this why not tell us?

Then he goes off about the guy who would not get sealed to his wife and how he is going to get a cheap home on the other and how he is "spiritually lazy." Well, I have been attending a non Church grief support group for the last year. I have learned that everyone handles grief differently. As a doctor surely he must know this man may still be grieving. It sounded that way to me. As God's prophet, he should have had more empathy. Not told the story as the man could be listening. So I do not get it.

I am not sealed to my deceased wife. Church members keep telling me to get it done like now. Maybe I am so sinful and spiritually lazy I have not done it. She has not given me any impressions from the other side to get it done. I have had some impressions from her for other things. I am still trying to figure out how a loving Father in Heaven let someone like my beautiful wife die of ALS? All I need to do to get a temple a recommend is pay my tithing. Hey, guys, I am on a pension and still paying off the $20,000 in doctors bills. She had no insurance and had $10,000 in credit bills I did not know about. I am not bitter about this but Russ needs to understand his story lacks compassion and understanding of a grieving person. According to Russ, I guess I am going to be living alone in a tent on the other side when I cross over.

I do not think Church members who are active really have a good handle on how people grieve.

So his message was terrible to me. I wonder how many others felt the same way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 08:14PM

I am so sorry for your losses. Your love for your sister and wife is always so evident when you post about them.

I guess I'd say: You are a man far and away greater in morality, caliber of character, humility and ability to love than Nelson.

You would never trot out one of your losses (as with his daughter) to brag about how she is so perfect, her kids all married Mormons, they all do temple work, blah, blah.

You would never use the vulnerability of a grieving friend to trot out how said friend is an idiot. Using him as example so an entire congregation can mock him and laugh at his stupidity. While Nelson chuckled. He is JOKING about matters of the heart.

It is a terrible message for all.

One can be HUMAN or one can be MORMON. Can't be both.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 08:59PM

The church has to have ordinances because without those it has nothing to sell. LDS Inc is in the business of selling temple ordinances.

Now think about it. The church has you are your wife's records. If you don't get sealed to your wife some relative of yours or someone else will do it by proxy in the temple. According to the church it all will be done. Why pay for a temple recommend and jump through all the hoops when according to the church it all will be done. In other words you don't need to even bother with the temple in the long run according to the church.

Anyways I think it's a bunch of hogwash to make people pay up. I do believe in heaven and hey if you love someone I'm sure you get to live with them and any of the house hold pets you lost over the years.

Sorry about the loss and don't let Russ or the church get you down. You have been and are going through a lot.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 09:09PM

I'm so glad you posted. I wondered how his talk would effect someone about all those topics you listed.

I, myself, had to work through all the issues of sealings, etc., AFTER my husband/ex left me. I know I don't have to repeat my story. Then to resign. My daughter is TBM. So with Russ' talk, where do we all fit into this talk of Russ' IF we believe in mormonism, which I don't. It took a long time to get all the way there. This board certainly helped. The lack of empathy for my situation was a big reason I found myself questioning.

I no longer worry where I will be. I am NOT worried in the least about if my daughter will be in the same place I am. Or my parents. My parents would choose to be with me than be in a place that they describe. My parents would have chosen to be with me the day my daughter got married in the temple.

Like caramel stated, you are a great man. We've all read your posts over the years. You LOVE your wife. You LOVE your sister.

May I just also say that my grandparents were deaf and my grandfather was a farmer. They couldn't afford to pay tithing and my mother told me that they were allowed to go to the temple. They were sealed there after being married for several years, but I doubt they ever went back. I think my grandmother went back a few times in her later years after my grandfather died as they allowed my mother to translate for her. So why should you not be able to be sealed in the temple to your wife NOWADAYS?

I loved what you said about Wendy and Russ. I think about that all the time--about his wife. His REAL WIFE. Well, I'd say his real wife deserves BETTER! I, myself, would never be able to handle how they are acting.

When we think of the reality of the CK and polygamy, I'll pass. I'm more than happy to take my chances. I DO NOT WANT TO SHARE A MAN WITH ANOTHER WOMAN. I've said before that I'd rather stay with my gay ex and share him with other men and be the only woman in his life. Even he made sure I knew that I was the only woman when one of his boyfriends told me he had done sexual things with another woman. He was furious. He made sure I knew that I was the ONLY WOMAN he'd ever love. No matter what position we find ourselves in. Watching the 2 of them makes me sick.

Like I said on some other thread, I wish he'd just die. I think he'll be taking more people out than converting people, but he triggers my PTSD. They just announced a short trip going to several countries, one country a day. Maybe it will be too much for whatever there is in his chest as he has no heart.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:01PM

Obviously, egregious incompetence is no barrier to being a GA.

Posted by: LetGo ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:03PM

The greatest power in heaven and on earth that binds two hearts together is the power of love. Deep in our souls we know this to be true. That’s why Nelson’s talk is so disturbing.

Posted by: Durden ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:14PM

How can any thinking person believe his message?

They bounce from Uchtdorf reminding the members how small of a group Mormons are, approximately 1 in 500 people (probably more like 1 in 2000 if we're counting active members) to we are the only ones together with our families after death because ordinances..... Huh?

All those other families that don't believe the incoherent Mormon sales pitch will be separated at death? GFY Nelson, they fail to see the absurdity and hate in their message. No compassionate person could believe this.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:22PM

His first wife was a really good person according to the people who met her or knew her.

One of my friends met her as a little girl and she was thoughtful enough to send a nice little follow up note to her home in California.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:26PM

What I found most disturbing is that he calls us all lazy. If I could pray away my troubles and live in some sort of bliss I certainly would have done it by now. Nelson just doesn't understand ordinary people with ordinary lives. Remember he had 9 kids all temple married and successful financially and socially. They are above average in every way. This is the kind of folks that fit in mormonism well. They get social perks all the time from living the mormon lifestyle.

For many on the board that I've read in the comments things are not so easy. We haven't got the benefits from living mormonism. It's caused mountains of problems instead.

We didn't leave because we were lazy. Yet this is exactly what Nelson said. And that we'll all be alone in darkness for eternity looking for help...

He's a mean man.

Posted by: edy ( )
Date: April 11, 2019 11:55PM

and you use the term "man" loosely when you speak of rusty.

Date: April 12, 2019 04:35AM

I can imagine some GAs being somewhere on the SSA spectrum. Being cooped up for years with all those straight guys who hate gays would make them mean.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 12:18AM

you are right secular priest, how could a husband not be very understanding of how people might perceive him and his new wife? how could someone who has lost his own family member be so un sympathetic with other people who have a loss their spouse, what gives him the right to call someone spiritually lazy. NELSON IS AN ASS HOLE. He can get away with it and will because he is a profit, he do what ever he wants and expects people to obey him. He is evil and loves power.

Date: April 12, 2019 04:38AM

I’m not sure I’d call him evil. I would call him a sick fuck.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 12:41AM

Secular Priest, thank you for not being like so many men in my ward who lost their wives, and then a month later, showed up with a woman 30 years younger.

It was terrible, and it happened a lot !

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 01:47AM

Hahaha! You literally described and dissed Rusty in one quick blow!

Posted by: Emperor-Librarian ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 02:15AM

I am sorry to hear about what you and your wife went through.

RMN isn't going to just tell a story to show humility or to share his own hear felt feelings. There is always and end goal.

Thats why it is all tinged with "she is doing work" and "he is spiritually lazy". The emotions he stirs up are supposed to get his followers to take action towards the goals the church has set up for them.

Want to go to the temple because of deceased loved one. > Need to get recommend renewed > Need to pay tithing.

When you cut away their emotional arguments thats all that is left, a to-do list that benefits the organization.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 05:18AM

Very insightful.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 05:24AM

Secular Priest, I am so sorry for the pain that you have gone through with your terrible losses. I remember after I lost my mom a number of years ago, it was starkly apparent (in my grief,) the people who felt genuine empathy for me vs. those who said a quick, "I'm sorry" and moved on. When you've suffered a loss, your heart aches for genuine sympathy and understanding.

Rusty for whatever reason just can't do that. You would think he would be able to, due to his own losses, but he just can't. I think that Emperor-Librarian, above, hit the nail on the head. Rusty has a purpose for whatever story he tells, and I think he doesn't much care who he takes out in the process. I'm sorry that his unfeeling words caused you pain.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 08:40AM

the replies and then I went over to facebook and this is what I found:

https://www.facebook.com/lds.touching.lives/photos/a.728954047163216/1058397260885558/?type=3&theater

He is a pretender, but then we all knew that before now.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:27AM

Rusty is a scoundrel. He lives in a bubble and probably lived in one as a surgeon as well. He has no empathy. He can't relate to others. He uses others' misfortunes to reinforce his perceived superiority.

-Ever been stuck in a ditch on the side of the road and somebody slows down to stop? When you think the person is going to offer some help, the guy looks you over and says "Looks like you're in a bad situation. Well, best of luck!" And the guy speeds off.

Think about his life and how everybody has bent over backwards to please this man as a surgeon, as a patriarch and as a church leader.

Forgot to add:

You're never going to hear about his:

-community service
-charitable work
-personal stories from strangers

His stories will be about:

-his perception and judgment of others
-his work as a doctor
-his church work
-his family
-his church acquaintances

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2019 11:43AM by messygoop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:17PM

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:49PM

I heard him speak once and was quite favorably impressed, but that was over 20 years ago.

Now that Hinckley, Monson, and all his other rivals have kicked off, he seems to have given full expression to his grandiose narcissism. He's a terrifying individual, and the joint deception of his new fantasy marriage is beyond disgusting.

That said, no one will ever again equal the chilling sadism of Kimball. The brainwashing of Mormons in the Kimball era was unreal, and paradoxically expedited by some of the most educated members of the church.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 02:54PM

That is a quote from his face book link. Does he really mean it? I do not know him but say him and Wendy speak in Edmonton last summer. It was quite the show. It was his first wife who made him what he is, not Wendy. Wendy is just getting all the glory now. I read he married her within one year of his first wife passing. It said he was depressed. Not a great reason to marry.

His priority should be honoring his fist wife's memory in his actions and words. But his new wife seems to be his number one priority and this comment shows it, at least to me. He reminds me of the guy that ran Playboy with all his around woman around him. For Russ this has to be an ego trip and I wonder how much of it is affecting his decisions he makes as CEO and prophet and how much of it to impress his young wife? My guess is the latter but then I had a beautiful wife and I am still sorting through things. Maybe Russ is better than me at doing this.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 07:01PM

You know that it is impossible to get over a spouse EVER. My dad was inconsolable after my mother died and he died 2 months later. We were upset, but we were relieved that he was no longer suffering from the loss.

You are a good man who loves his wife. Russ' actions are extremely unfeeling. I'm so sick of watching the 2 of them it makes my blood boil and I don't even know them. I had a cousin die whose husband remarried a month after she passed away. He had been dating the new wife by meeting her at the temple BEFORE my cousin died. I posted about it earlier in another thread.

If I were an active member, their actions would be enough to make me wonder about why I am still attending.

Posted by: kingherodcosell ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 04:47PM

Nelson sucks!

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 09:19PM

this message bothered me quite a lot, and made my mother cry when she heard it (she's super tbm), It's upsetting that a church that they have sacrificed their whole lives for would be so uncaring as to disturb my parents fragile pleasant feelings in their golden years. They've paid too much damn money to that place to hear this kind of garbage. It's just not acceptable to me and made me angry.

Another thing is that telling mormons that salvation is according to obedience to temple laws is unbiblical. The bible says that god so loved the "world" that he gave .... (john 3:16). It doesn't say he so loved the "mormons" that he gave.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 04:10PM

very good point, MacnaRomney.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 04:16PM

Secular Priest: I am so sorry for your loss and for how this talk, instead of helping you made your grief even worse. I haven't heard his talk but i understand that all these talks are checked before they are given. It is sad that no one reading this talk noticed how bad it sounded from a grieving member's perspective.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 10:11PM

Well spoken and I agree completely that Nelson's talk should have NEVER passed muster on so, so many levels.

So very sorry for your loss Secular Priest.

I have taken the liberty to list some of the concise points found in all of the above posts, sometimes adding my own thoughts. I THINK THE VOLUME OF DISLIKE FOR NELSON AND THE DESCRIPTIVE WORDS DETAILING THIS DISLIKE is amazing to see listed - it rather shocked me.

--->Nelson is a sick fuck of a profit and president of a church.

--->He is a terrifying individual (I think he could be very unpredictable and even dangerous).

--->One can be human or one can be MORMON.

--->He's a mean man and probably a sick man.

--->What I find most disturbing is that he calls us all lazy.

--->He is evil and loves power.

--->He has a purpose for whatever he tells and does not care who he takes out in the process.

--->He is a pretender.

--->He has no empathy.

--->He can't relate to others.

--->If I were an attending Mormon, this man and his actions would be enough to make me cease attending.

--->NELSON IS AN ASSHOLE

I found his talk very, very disturbing, arrogant and second all of the above. Thanks to all who shared their thoughts as often I doubt my own reasoning, being the ex-mormon that I am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2019 10:19PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:39PM

"and how he is going to get a cheap home on the other and how he is "spiritually lazy."

OK, what kind of home will senile fraud Russ get for lying to millions of people?
This old coot gets revelations in bed and writes them down in a yellow book from a lighted pen..LMAO

94yrs...absolute mental degradation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.