Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 05:55PM

I found the following statement in his tirade to be telling.....

In its entirety, it reads, "Beloved friends, as we unite across the globe each week in what is an increasingly sacred acknowledgement of Christ's majestic atoning gift to all human kind, may we bring to the sacramental altar more tears for his sorrow and more pain at his grief."

The words seem to me to be declaring, even more dramatically (is that possible?) than in Holland's usual dramatic manner, that he is "acknowledging" that Mormondumb is owning up to the fact that they are NOW making it a point to REALLY worship Christ and acknowledge him in Sacrament meeting for His "majestic atoning gift to all humankind...." (Yep, I think you ARE doing just that so that you will fit into the mold of Christianity and not seem so damn strange to other humans).

His sermon, and I do mean sermon, preaches to the members that taking the sacrament is their most sacred time of the week, and by gosh-darn-damn!"Thus, we're encouraged to come to our services early and reverently, dressed appropriately to participate in a sacred ordinance - The Sacred Ordinance. Sunday best has lost a little of its meaning in our time."

He goes on to say, "In that same spirit, we make an apostalic plea for the reduction of clamor....", and with a mighty sweep of his apostalic hand, he goes on to wipe out the idea that priesthood members dare utter anymore distracting unholy announcements from the pulpit during SM to spoil "the most sacred hour of our week."

I'll admit I'm out of touch, but, OMG, this talk, which ended in another dramatic flourish, "....in the name of Him who Broke the Precious Bread of Forgiveness and poured the Holy Wine of Redemption...." left me thinking Holland was trying out for a part he wanted (a lot) in some Broadway-earth-shaking-Bible-play.

I was exhausted after his sermon, and thought, if I were still an active Moron I would have also been feeling a lot of shame, like I was worth all of 2 cents for all my unholiness committed in Sacrament Meetings.

Plus, I was also thinking, what a waste of talent! - Holland does write and speak very well. He only needs to find the right venue for his talent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2019 06:03PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 06:21PM

"....in the name of Him who Broke the Precious Bread of Forgiveness and poured the Holy Wine of Redemption...."

More like in the name of Him who Broke the Precious Wind of Formidableness (forever families are his hostages) and poured the Holy blood of temple-worthiness (sure sign of The Nail.)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 08:09PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "....in the name of Him who Broke the Precious
> Bread of Forgiveness and poured the Holy Wine of
> Redemption...."
>
> More like in the name of Him who Broke the
> Precious Wind of Formidableness (forever families
> are his hostages) and poured the Holy blood of
> temple-worthiness (sure sign of The Nail.)

Hang on, now! Shouldn't he have said: "the precious Wonderloaf of Forgiveness and poured the tap water of Redemption?"

After all, we wouldn't want people to think the WOW is invalid, now would we? ;o))

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 06:21PM

I happened to catch part of this talk and I laughed. Pretentious much?

Surely it would be more effective if Jehovah's thunderous voice rent the heavens as he told humanity to dress their best for church.

Date: April 12, 2019 06:23PM

The maker of nature is intimately concerned with human apparel. Lilies of the field and all.

Date: April 12, 2019 07:01PM

Pretentious sums it up nicely. "Showy" he was, and yes! Holland missed the boat by not arranging (you know, by doing that talking to God he rants about) to rent the heavens and all.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 07:35PM

I'm surprised he didn't scold the Saints for not obeying the commandment that requires Christ's followers to ritually anoint the head and wash the face before fasting. (3 Ne 13:17, Matt 6:17) "But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thy head, and wash thy face..."

Date: April 12, 2019 07:45PM

C'mon! It's coat and tie, neat cut hair and no beard, just like in the bible!

Oh, year, and women must have their heads covered!

I think mormons need to get back to the bible. Yay, verily.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 07:47PM

micro-management on steroids.

Posted by: NotLoggedin ( )
Date: April 12, 2019 08:11PM

So Holland talked the talk but how much is Jesus actually talked about in the typical Sunday meeting?

About ten years ago, my DD was invited to Mormon church by a friend. She was curious and went. On the way home, the mom asked what she thought. DD said it was interesting but when do you talk about Jesus?I

Crickets. Sacrament and SS had been all about temples and inviting your non-Mormon friends to church.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 12:21AM

"as we unite across the globe" and (elsewhere) "global religion":

trying to pump up their faltering self-image with expansive horse-pucky. Next they will abandon "global" in favor of "galactic".

Posted by: Afraid of the Boogie Brethren ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 01:29AM

I was active in the 70's. There is no altar. There is no worship. Just songs and usually bad and boring talks. Has he ever been to a REAL worship service??

Posted by: A Local NLI ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 11:25PM

I had to look up "chewing the scenery" to check the meaning; it
seemed that expression popped into my head as I began reading.

I think it fits.

Date: April 14, 2019 01:34AM

Tomorrow a mormon will be in the final group in the Masters Tournament. Somehow I don't think Holland is going to take him to task for missing Sacrilege Meeting...unless he doesn't win. Nah, even if he doesn't win, they'll be happy to get their 10%. They'd be happy for him to make the cut in every tournament!

Date: April 14, 2019 05:45AM

They might watch and cheer him on, all the while smiling smugly and envisioning large $$$ signs around him.

I have been on a rant recently with the Ones Sitting on Their
Thrones because of some family indoctrination issues, plus just seeing day in and out, weekly, and monthly all the shit these evil clowns pull and get away with.

The leadership of the cult is plain mean, evil and deceitful, and some events, like their stance and re-stance on LBGTQ, the Mission President Joseph Bishop church cover-up and how they trashed brave McKenna's reputation, and how they could care less that Utah has the highest rate of youth suicides and use of anti-depressants (for how many years now?), are not even noticed by my loved ones. How, how, how?

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:28PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> Sacrilege Meeting..

Heh. Good one.

Date: April 16, 2019 01:13AM

Honestly, I don't know if I intended to do that it or it happened sort of 'by the spirit'!

One thing that definitely tallied points for it being Sacrilege Meeting was my total lack of worthiness to bless the bread and water. Because in my role as an agent of the Devil, I was known as ... The Masked Turbator!!

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:03PM

as usual most mormons think none of this applies to them. in my ward the same old crap is still going on, lots of gabbing in the chapel.

Posted by: cl2 (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:11PM

Posted by: mel ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 11:32PM

yes I wonder if they ever did use wine, back before it was prohibited by the WoW?

Also, I think one point they’re making is they don’t want the Bishop making announcements anymore. But how else would people know about things coming up? Of course not that there are many activities anymore anyway.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:33AM

Because something in his brain told him that there would be a lot of snickers and giggles if he said: "in the name of Him who Broke the Precious Day-old Storebrand sandwich bread from Albertsons...of Forgiveness...and filled the Holy Little Paper Cups with Tap Water of Redemption...

Plus, it would not have been clear whether he was talking about Jesus or one of the 14-year-old teachers who prepared the sacrament trays.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 01:26AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:

> In its entirety, it reads, "Beloved friends, as
> we unite across the globe each week in what is an
> increasingly sacred acknowledgement of Christ's
> majestic atoning gift to all human kind, may we
> bring to the sacramental altar more tears for his
> sorrow and more pain at his grief."
>
But I thought the whole point of the atonement was to wipe away our tears and free us from grief. According to Holland, the purpose of the atonement is to make us wallow deeper in tears, sorrow and grief FOR JESUS...to make JESUS FEEL BETTER. Our own sorrow and grief that results from our own mistakes is not enough. We have to also go skinny dipping in the unfathomable depths of sorrow, grief and pain that only a god can fully experience.

Feeling guilty about stealing three of your sister's M&Ms last week? Well, if you're really sorry, you'll go dive head-first into the lake of suffering and eternal torment experienced by Jesus when he took on himself the eternal punishment that otherwise was to be allocated to rapists, murderers, kitten killers and baby eaters...yeah, verily, that suffering and atonement that he performed so that those types of people could obtain eternal forgiveness.

Message from Jesus (according to Holland): Feel my pain! Feel my sorrow! Feel my grief! I suffered for the whole damn world and now I want you to share my suffering, my sorrow, my grief, my pain, my misery. Feel sorry for me! Pity me! Feel guilty because, you know what, you pathetic, imperfect losers are ultimately responsible for causing me so much pain and suffering! You little worms! You'll never be worthy of the sacrifice I made!"

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 11:54AM

"Holy Wine of Redemption"

Not the Holy Grape Juice of Redemption? Because that's what many TBMs fervently believe – that it was unfermented grape juice.

Mormons desperately want to think that JC kept the WOW, 1800 years before there was a WOW. Silly mormons.

Date: April 16, 2019 01:48PM

The only wine in Mormonism is whine.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 01:41PM

I grew to despise SM when I was a teen....another f$%%^^ church meeting at the end of an altogether too churchy day
...couldn't wait to get outta the chapel, in my car and fire up a heater...

Date: April 16, 2019 03:04PM

As a teen attending with a friend and fam, we were "allowed" to sit free from their watch. Still, there are only so many games you can enjoy on a notepad together, trips you can take to restroom and drinking fountain, and unholy-giggling together you can do as you engage in demeaning the boys in the ward until the darn snoopy parents discovers it is you two that is causing all the racuss and begin sending the evil eye to you.

I felt sooo happy that I did have the requirement to attend SM with my family; so let my dad drink Sunday away, my sad Mom cook and clean the day away, and least I did not have SM on my agenda every damn Sunday.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 03:25PM

So many lessons about proper church worship and reverence. We were always told to settle down in both Sunday School and priesthood quorum class. They wanted us to be quiet and listen to their boring lessons about a church that didn't make sense.

One day it finally happened! We restless immature young men sat quietly through class. No kicking chairs, messing up hair or throwing objects. We sat there in a daze listening to the lesson.

And the teacher was upset. "You don't show any feelings or emotions. I feel as if I am talking to a wall. Nobody is raising his hands. You act as if you don't care."

Nobody responded or even looked up at the teacher. He continued.

"I don't get teenagers. One day I can't get you to shut up and now I can't get anybody to answer the questions. I quit."

He slammed the teacher's manual and stormed out. He slammed the door for good measure. We continued to sit there quietly.

Finally somebody said "How long until they find another replacement teacher? Is there anyone left in the ward"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.