Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 02:32PM

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/13/us/no-religion-largest-group-first-time-usa-trnd/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2019 02:35PM by saviorself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 04:37PM

It will be interesting to see how soon we have a U.S. president of no particular religion (although I have to wonder if we've had some very nominal believers among them.)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 05:04PM

I suspect that most, even if they are not believers, feel they HAVE to feign some sort of religiosity (or respect for religiosity at least) lest they offend voting believers who think morals are associated with a God.

Posted by: History ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 03:25AM

Date: April 14, 2019 09:27AM

I think that many/most people accept Jefferson as a deist, but his brand of spirituality was certainly eclectic. (I find to my surprise that my views are rather similar to his.) I think someone of similar views to his would have a difficult time getting elected in today's climate, but IMO over time, with the rise of the "nones," that will change.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pj/Thomas_Jefferson.html

I didn't realize that Eisenhower's parents had converted to the JWs when he was a boy. Yikes! Evidently he was baptized into the Presbyterian church shortly after his inauguration, and continued to be a member/attendee through his retirement years. But it sounds like he may have run for office as a nominal Christian only.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pe/Dwight_Eisenhower.html

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 12:35PM

And yet he was a career warrior... So there had to be a disconnect between himself and JWism.

Date: April 14, 2019 01:06PM

Yes. The article I linked to states that he left the JWs in his early teens, although his mom was a lifelong member. He apparently used a JW version of the bible when he was sworn in as president though.

Good catch.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:22AM

So safe to say he was no longer one on these two scores.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:24AM

It's highly unlikely he swore on it.

Date: April 15, 2019 11:17AM

He was JW, but his parents left when he was a child, and they wouldn't have let him be a military man if he remained. Eisenhower never showed much sign of religion.

However, unlike many of the people of today he wasn't a big narcissist and exhibitionist so didn't make a big deal of it.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 06:56AM

I get the feeling that your current president is not the truest of true believing Christians...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 12:25PM

An important observation!

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 13, 2019 05:20PM

I say loudly.....HIP HIP HOORAY!!!

I, too, have a belief.....that reasoning and facts are far superior to old myths ruling our lovely world!

Posted by: Dafty ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 03:27AM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say loudly.....HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
>
> I, too, have a belief.....that reasoning and facts
> are far superior to old myths ruling our lovely
> world!

No, your real belief is that *you* are superior which puts you higher up the pecking order. ;)

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 10:54PM

I agree with you presleyandfactsrocks. Nice to be in the mainstream one at least one count.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:10PM

As I told a friend recently, I have no beef with God. He/She/It leaves me alone and I leave Him/Her/It alone. But religion makes God into something completely incomprehensible and then shames you for not understanding and believing in "its" version of God.

If God wants to punish me for not having faith, that is certainly His/Her/Its right and power to do so. But God will not be able to call me a hypocrite.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 01:22PM

I remember the dirty looks I'd get from the chaplin each time I went through a mobility line and he'd ask me if my dog tags reflected my religious beliefs.

Mine reflected no religious denomination. I could tell he wanted to say something but he couldn't.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 14, 2019 08:08PM

The last time I was in the hospital, I was asked about my religious affiliation, and I said, "None."

Technically, I am still on the rolls of a local Presbyterian church, but I don't really believe in much of anything, any more.

I know that my lack of belief hurts my inactive but still believing TBM DH.

When my son had the guts to "come out" as an atheist, some years ago, I admired his courage. In January, when he was hospitalized for renal failure, he called me and asked if it was true that the hospital he was in (university-affiliated) REQUIRED patients to accept visits by a chaplain.

I didn't think so, but I have a good friend who is a non-denominational chaplain, and asked. She assured me that such visits are NOT required.

I called the hospital where son was being cared for, spoke with the administrator, and requested (firmly, but politely) that my son's lack of religious affiliation be respected. NO MORE VISITS FROM CHAPLAINS!! It worked.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 15, 2019 11:00AM

When my mother was in the hospital, some kind of minister with a giant cross hanging from his neck walked into my mother's room without asking and without any invitation. He sat down and said he was there to offer spiritual comfort. My mother was not feeling well and did not want this man in her room so she told him she didn't need any spiritual support. He said that it was okay because he could give other support as well and just started jabbering at her. Mom really just wanted him to leave her alone so she could rest. Thankfully, Mom was only there for two days and he never came back.

Posted by: Klaus ( )
Date: April 16, 2019 06:32PM

Good news. Here's to reason and the scientific method. :D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.